American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

How To Drive The National Road In Maryland, To The Extent That Google Maps Will Allow

cbustapeck

Due to popular demand, and to fill the need of the masses until I'm able to come up with a more complete, descriptive set of maps that detail all the points of interest, I'm offering this set of maps, using Google Maps, that show the best way to follow the route of the National Road in Maryland. They are not completely exhaustive, but rather, they show the route to the extent that the software will let me. From Baltimore through Sideling Hill (about 5 miles west of Hancock, Maryland), they follow the original route of the road rather exactly. West of there, there are a few detours.

Baltimore to Frederick

Frederick to Clear Spring

Clear Spring to Hancock

Hancock to Cumberland

Cumberland to Grantsville

Grantsville to Addison, PA

There will be more later, I promise - how else would you find all the stone bridges hidden on the road in Howard County, Maryland?

Beautiful!

I dove right into the first section. About four years ago I was in Baltimore on business (I worked for a Medicare contractor then; Balt is the world's epicenter of Medicare) and, quite by accident, ended up on US 40 and drove it all the way through town. It was quite an adventure. But I wasn't aware that it didn't follow the route of the old Road!

And to think I was this close to the Road; Medicare imperial worldwide headquarters are on Security Blvd. just west of 695; a short jaunt down Rolling Rd. and I would have been there! Grr! Alas, this was before my roadgeekery went into full gear.

Instead, I drove the other way up Rolling Rd. and had a fabulous meal at the Windsor Inn Crab House, which the government paid for. Not bad.

Anyway, I appreciate your effort to document the route as best as possible given the tool you used.

jim