American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Few Interesting Spots, Between Hancock And Sideling Hill, With Some Fall Leaves For Good Measure

cbustapeck

The Harvey House, a former inn on an old alignment on the east side of Sideling Hill, was built in the first quarter of the 19th century.

1792807472_fec68ca6da_m.jpg

The Oliver House is a mile or two east of the Harvey House. It appears that the rear (stone) wing was built in the last quarter of the 18th century. It was used most recently to house the migrant workers who labored in the surrounding fruit groves, though it appears to be abandoned. It has nice lines, and if it were for sale, it's the sort of place that I'd be crazy enough to want to restore. Earlier photographs show a chimney inside the house at the same end where the concrete block chimney is now.

1791827633_86f2d39df9_m.jpg

This house, a bit closer to Hancock, appears to have an interesting history as well, though I haven't been able to learn anything about it.

1791779121_dd8ab4f4ec_m.jpg

This toll house sits about a mile west of Hancock, Maryland.

1792558912_8941d268f0_m.jpg

Christopher,

More great stuff! Now I want either GPS coordinates or a map like your milepost map. I want to put these places in my mental archives for a future trip.

As a complete aside, but one we "discussed" via personal message...I really appreciate the photos. And you have introduced what appears to be a terrific compromise that maintains access to larger images while quickly downloading “supersized-thumbnails”.

Correct me, but it appears you are "inserting" smaller scale photos from your Flickr account, thus permitting "super-thumbnails" that download quickly and yet give me access to full sized images at Flickr. I like it! I will try it myself. Any advice?

Keep the Show on the Road!

Christopher,

More great stuff! Now I want either GPS coordinates or a map like your milepost map. I want to put these places in my mental archives for a future trip.

As a complete aside, but one we "discussed" via personal message...I really appreciate the photos. And you have introduced what appears to be a terrific compromise that maintains access to larger images while quickly downloading “supersized-thumbnails”.

Correct me, but it appears you are "inserting" smaller scale photos from your Flickr account, thus permitting "super-thumbnails" that download quickly and yet give me access to full sized images at Flickr. I like it! I will try it myself. Any advice?

Thank you.

I do love working with pictures and maps - if I could, I'd use even less text, but one must explain the pictures somehow.

I'm not so sure about another map - though I plan to eventually do a set of maps for those interested in driving the National Road, that time isn't yet - however, if you look at the Flickr page, you'll find that virtually all of the photographs are geotagged, so that if you click on the map link on the photograph, you can see where it was taken. Now, if there was an easy way to transfer the map data from Flickr over to Google Maps...

Also, you can can the location of every single photograph in my National Road set here if you are so inclined.

You are correct with regard to the use of Flickr thumbnails. What you do is take the filename of the thumbnail on Flickr and then put it inside a link to the photo page. For example this code:

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/cbustapeck/1246739960/][img=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1221/1246739960_77ad7e4813_m.jpg][/url]

gives us this:

1246739960_77ad7e4813_m.jpg

Thank you.

I do love working with pictures and maps - if I could, I'd use even less text, but one must explain the pictures somehow.

I'm not so sure about another map - though I plan to eventually do a set of maps for those interested in driving the National Road, that time isn't yet - however, if you look at the Flickr page, you'll find that virtually all of the photographs are geotagged, so that if you click on the map link on the photograph, you can see where it was taken. Now, if there was an easy way to transfer the map data from Flickr over to Google Maps...

Also, you can can the location of every single photograph in my National Road set here if you are so inclined.

You are correct with regard to the use of Flickr thumbnails. What you do is take the filename of the thumbnail on Flickr and then put it inside a link to the photo page. For example this code:

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/cbustapeck/1246739960/][img=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1221/1246739960_77ad7e4813_m.jpg][/url]

gives us this:

1246739960_77ad7e4813_m.jpg

Christopher,

That is a great help. And if you geotagged your photos, that is all I need.

It is a pleasure to have you on this Forum!