American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

New Lh Blog

I hope I'm not stealing any planned thunder from Brian by "announcing" a great new blog here. As far as I know, Glenn Wells was the first to let the blog out of the bag when he told RoadsideFans about Brian Butko's days old LincolnHighwayNews. Brian mentions Ron Warnick's Route66News as inspiration and I imagine his new blog will soon play a role similar to Ron's but for a different highway. This will be good!

Yet another road blog to track daily.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

I sense that there are actually two sources for your not entirely joyous reaction. One is that it takes time to check up on web offerings that might have something of interest and the other is that it is something other than the American Road Magazine Forum. It's quite natural that some of us here have an ARMF-centric view (I certainly do.) but it's a big web out there.

As for the time and effort (and memory:-) required to keep tabs on multiple sources, I might have something useful and I'll once again point to RSS. RSS is not the universal panacea but it is quite handy for this sort of thing. This morning, I added an RSS fee from LincolnHighwayNews to my Yahoo portal page. The page now has short summaries of eight handpicked RSS feeds. At home, I see this whenever I fire up my browser. At work, I have to actually select the page from my favorites list because I have an internal company oriented page as the home page (and my boss likes it that way). I've attached a snapshot of the relevant portion of the page. The feeds aren't instantaneous and they don't show subsequent topic postings or blog comments and I do have to visit the associated site to see what's behind a headline of interest but I've got a lot of headlines at my fingertips.

I happen to use My.Yahoo. My.AOL, iGoogle, My.MSN, and a bunch of other guys offer similar capabilities. I can't say for certain that this will help any particular person track more stuff, but it might.

my_yahoo.gif

Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement. A death in the family and a book a half-year past due also have kept me very busy lately. And kids. And trying to sell our house. And designing the SCA Journal. And....!! Oh, and my job as a magazine editor. But most of these are enjoyable, and I've met so many of you nice and knowledgable folks through my interests.

There are lots of great sites for LH info, American Road included. But if the LH can support more than one coffee table book, more news sites likewise can only help efforts to preserve and promote the road, which I've been trying to do since the 1980s. My blog evolved from working on web pages to accompany my Lincoln Highway Companion book, but the info there didn't look very appealing and was a pain to update. I still need to sort out those.

With the blog, I can post info and images easily and update things within seconds. Like my books, I don't cover everything, but I do spend some time researching and trying to write clearly about what I cover, and look for good photos too. I hope y'all find the stories enjoyable - your comments are always helpful, keep them coming.

It also has pages (still in early stages) with recommended places to eat, stay, libraries for email/research, etc. These are another carryover from the LH Companion roots - a way to convey some info that the book won't have, and to help those who want to take a long LH trip but worry how to do so.

Most of all, I love learning, and the blog is a way to force myself to stay on top of LH news. I'll still post here and hope you'll visit me too.

Brian

http://www.lincolnhighwaynews.com

http://www.brianbutko.com

PS: Denny, your RSS feeds window is pretty cool!