American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Indiana Roads At Autumntime

DennyG

Ever since I learned that, had I turned left in Corydon, I could have driven one of Car & Driver's "Best Driving Roads in America" last April, I've had it in the back of my mind. Mobilene's recent post on the road pushed it halfway forward and a sunny seventies Sunday brought it all the way to the front. "Stuff" interfered with my posting but it's there now. Click here for the report on a Sunday drive on bits of US-42 and IN-62. The trees can't be more that a week or two from going Technicolor.

Ever since I learned that, had I turned left in Corydon, I could have driven one of Car & Driver's "Best Driving Roads in America" last April, I've had it in the back of my mind. Mobilene's recent post on the road pushed it halfway forward and a sunny seventies Sunday brought it all the way to the front. "Stuff" interfered with my posting but it's there now. Click here for the report on a Sunday drive on bits of US-42 and IN-62. The trees can't be more that a week or two from going Technicolor.

Denny,

Terrific post....but that trip amouts to cruel and unusualy punishment, for me This is the worst Fall in 25 years in the Northwest. If there is a 30 second break in the clouds we are running out to photograph the blue sky, before we forget what it looks like. I'm sure glad to see your photos. I was beginnging to forget what sunshine looked like.

I really appreciate the post! Lovely roads and great roadside stuff.

Keep the Show on the Road!!

I was beginnging to forget what sunshine looked like.
A former co-worker from Youngstown used to tell of a drive his family took back in the '40s or '50s. They all piled into the car and, without giving the kids a clue as to where they were headed, Dad drove for at least a couple of hours. He eventually pulled over and had the kids get out of the car and look straight up. "That," he told them, "is what sky looks like."

The story was set in Youngstown's heyday as a sooty smoky steel town but, even so, I don't think I'd swear to its absolute truth in a court of law. Good story, though, and there's no doubt more than a grain of truth in it.

Yesterday, we got our first significant rain in quite some time and several daily temperature records have been broken this year. Cincinnati has had fifty some days this year with temperature over 90 and five over 100. Our last 100 degree day had been in 1999. On Sunday, the temperature reached 80. October! Indiana!! Eighty!!!

A former co-worker from Youngstown used to tell of a drive his family took back in the '40s or '50s. They all piled into the car and, without giving the kids a clue as to where they were headed, Dad drove for at least a couple of hours. He eventually pulled over and had the kids get out of the car and look straight up. "That," he told them, "is what sky looks like."

The story was set in Youngstown's heyday as a sooty smoky steel town but, even so, I don't think I'd swear to its absolute truth in a court of law. Good story, though, and there's no doubt more than a grain of truth in it.

Yesterday, we got our first significant rain in quite some time and several daily temperature records have been broken this year. Cincinnati has had fifty some days this year with temperature over 90 and five over 100. Our last 100 degree day had been in 1999. On Sunday, the temperature reached 80. October! Indiana!! Eighty!!!

The deck is wet from last night’s rain and the forecast is for “showers” or “light rain” (is there a difference?) as far ahead as the forecast goes (although mercifully there is a small break in the clouds to the east as the sun rises.)

Roadmaven is considering a delay in his proposed cruise until early November but says not to go beyond mid November in Indiana because the weather gets “iffy.” I’m sorry to report here in the Northwest we are not iffy. It will be raining in mid November. It fact it will be raining until Mid November....then on through December, January, February, March, April, May, and much of June.

I’m sorry. I just gotta bitch about this year’s weather. I have endured 25 years of the clouds in winter here, but don’t take away my fall road trips. This is not a political statement, but if this is climate change, I vote against it!

I am looking forward with renewed interest to your fall trip posts. Bring them on! I need them. Take a shot of the blue sky so I can paste it on the under side of my hat brim.

Keep the Show on the Road!