American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Forbes Traveler's "10 Most Awesome Autumn Drives"

beckyrepp

I've only been on bits of four of the ten and only one of those in autumn. Of the four I have seen, two were recommended by some guy named Repp. Maybe I'll just have to go see if he knows what he's talking about.

We never leave the MO/IL area in the fall because the folage is so incredible. Favorite local drives include:

Route 100 between Alton and Kampsville, IL

Route 79 between O'Fallon, IL and Hannibal, MO

Route 66 between STL and Springfield, MO

Route 61 between STL and the Arkansas line

Route 3 between STL and Cairo, IL (Route 127 from Murphysboro to just north of Cairo is also special)

Ahhhhhh, life is good!....Bliss

We never leave the MO/IL area in the fall because the folage is so incredible. Favorite local drives include:

Route 100 between Alton and Kampsville, IL

Route 79 between O'Fallon, IL and Hannibal, MO

Route 66 between STL and Springfield, MO

Route 61 between STL and the Arkansas line

Route 3 between STL and Cairo, IL (Route 127 from Murphysboro to just north of Cairo is also special)

Ahhhhhh, life is good!....Bliss

Thanks for sharing these wonderful Autumn drives. We'd love to hear from everyone. So, how about it? What's YOUR favorite Autumn road trip?

:D Becky

• 3 weeks later...
What's YOUR favorite Autumn road trip?

I've never put together a favorite's list but this weekend I was on a couple of roads that I'd probably include if I made one. At least they would be in the "fairly close to home" section. I'm talking about OH-763 and Old US-68 but there are many roads in that area (hilly tree-covered southern OH/northern KY) that can get quite pretty. My drive - with mostly green leaves - is posted at Ohio Barn Dance.

I also put up some pictures from a parade I attended on Saturday. It has nothing to do with "Awesome Autumn Drives" or any other sort of road trip. In fact, the featured vehicles are much more at home off road than on. I'm simply attaching it here as a rider - something I learned from CSPAN. Greenville Tractor Parade

I also put up some pictures from a parade I attended on Saturday. It has nothing to do with "Awesome Autumn Drives" or any other sort of road trip. In fact, the featured vehicles are much more at home off road than on. I'm simply attaching it here as a rider - something I learned from CSPAN. Greenville Tractor Parade

I drove an old Oliver 66 like the one in the 13th photo a gazillion miles when I was a kid growing up in IL. Dad liked Olivers and bought this one used but in good shape for work on the farm. He asked me to repaint some of the trim one day but, instead, I painted flames shooting out from the engine back towards the driver's seat. Needless to say, Dad wasn't at all happy with my paint job :angry: ....Bliss

The family of my best friend in high school had nothing but Olivers; Three or four of various ages. An often heard line was" "Got my wife and my first Oliver in '32 and haven't had a bit of trouble with either one of them." Dad and the farm are gone and Mom's just hanging on, but I believe Dale still has Old Faithful, that '32 Ollie, in storage somewhere.

I don't know about a favorite, but last weekend, I drove on the National Road from Baltimore to Frostburg, Maryland. It was a beautiful drive, especially the section from Hancock to Frostburg. I wish I could have gone further west, but I just didn't have the time. The historic houses in all the small towns along the way look so perfect in the autumn light.

The scenery from Town Hill, one of the most beautiful views in the state, were especially nice - and there were more cars there than I've ever seen. I offer, below, one of my shots from Town Hill, with I-68 and its massive cut through Sideling Hill.

1741977031_e471f033e4.jpg

I need to add a couple of interstates to the list. I just got back from a two week vacation in NC and was very impressed with the West Virginia Turnpike, well worth the the $3.75 admission for tolls. As a matter of fact, if I wasn't going to visit relatives in Nashville on the way back, I would have gone back on the Turnpike.

However, I did see some great color on I-40 either side of the Tennessee-North Carolina border.

Keep on Down That Two Lane Highway, But Sometimes an Interstate is OK Too. --RoadDog