American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Avoiding Speed Traps

Dave Reese

I just received this link from a friend. I had never heard of it before, but the local reference is definitely an accurate description. It might be a good idea if you ever have the inclination to exceed a posted limit, or find that sometimes you missed the reduced limit sign, to plot this into your next route for a road trip.

I just received this link from a friend. I had never heard of it before, but the local reference is definitely an accurate description. It might be a good idea if you ever have the inclination to exceed a posted limit, or find that sometimes you missed the reduced limit sign, to plot this into your next route for a road trip.

Dave,

I can confirm the accuracy of those that made the list in our area, but several are not there, so beware!

I don’t know if they still do it, but the police department here used to give the locations of the daily radar placements to our local radio station for the morning commute time news.

As a similar thought, I once drove I-5 in the Seattle area to work (no wonder I retired early!!). I typically did 5 to 10 over the posted speed (when I could) and that kept me pretty much in the traffic flow. However, every so often there would be a guy weaving in and out and doing 90. You would see him coming up in the mirror as he jumped lanes and cross your fingers that he didn’t clip you, or someone else.

In many years of driving I never saw one get a ticket. Maybe he read the speed trap list, but more likely he had a radar detector. I thought seriously of buying a used radar gun and turning it on in those situations. I could then pass him up and give him a friendly wave. B) It would have given me something to do while driving. I retired before putting my plan into action, but I wish I had.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Interesting site. Was curious about Moscow, TN - we got nailed there last April on the way back from Crump. If you guessed the west side of Moscow, by the river, you just won a big seegar.

Small towns are notorious for this sort of set-up - it pays for a lot of city services.

In our case, KC and I were driving west out of town, following a pickup truck and talking - so weren't paying attention to the speedometer. As I recall we were about 5, maybe 6, over the limit. We got nailed, but the truck didn't. There were two other cruisers besides the one that stopped us - one headed eastbound stopped at the end of the bridge. There was more than enough room for him to have turned around and gone after the truck. Makes me wonder, now, if the truck wasn't working with the cops - leading people into the speed trap. That would be an interesting twist - anybody run into that one?? The cops had to have known the truck was going the same speed as we were - otherwise we would have run into it, were it going slower.

And the fine would have been around $160 - KC didn't have a current proof of insurance in the vehicle . It was at the house. So when we went back to the court (court is one night a month, I think- between 7 and when-ever) and she provided proof of insurance, the fine was, ta da - like the web site says - $90.

Tennessee is different than other states I've registered a car in - they don't issue a registration slip, like other states. You have a title (not required to be in the vehicle), a drivers license and have to have proof-of-insurance in the vehicle. If you get stopped for a violation all you have to produce is a drivers license and the insurance card. Apparently they could care less if you stole the car. LOL Just as long as the drivers license and insurance card are current and valid.

Also, TN does not have a state wide vehicle inspection. Some counties have inspection requirements, as do some towns and cities. Memphis has mandatory vehicle inspection, Shelby County, where Memphis is, does not. You take your car to a city run inspection station and they check to make sure the glass is there, lights, horn, emergency brake, lights work as they should and sniff the exhaust. That's it. Don't check suspension, steering, etc. You don't pay anything at the inspection station - they get that when you register the car.

Anyway - guess we take a copy of the speed traps pertaining to the area we are going to be in just to be safe.

Everybody have a great day, and we catch you later. (No we aren't cops!!! LOL)

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec