American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Hoosier Auto Show & Swap Meet

roadmaven

This is pretty much for those within a day's drive of Indianapolis with absolutely nothing to do Saturday. The 41st Annual Hoosier Auto Show & Swap Meet ends Saturday, September 22 at the Marion County Fairgrounds on the southeast side of Indianapolis at I-74 & I-465. There's a HUGE (understatement) auto swap meet, as well as a classic car show Saturday, including (at last count) some 49 Corvairs from all over the midwest. The weather looks good for the weekend. I'll have ole blue there Saturday. Directions to the fairgrounds can be found here.

How late does it run? Is there a cost to get in? I might bring my sons.

Since it's been years since I've actually had to pay to get in aside from my participant registration, I'm not 100% sure. However, I *think* in recent years admission was free, but you paid to park....somewhere between $5-$10. The cars start rolling in around 8am, and awards (for the non-Corvairs) are presented around 4pm. The swap meet part runs later than that...6 or 7, I believe. There's a lot to see....some junk, some treasures....and by the end of the day "your dogs will be barkin'"! I can pretty much guarantee an evening nap will follow a day out there. The Corvair folks are having our hospitality room at our headquarters at the Super 8 at I-465 & U.S. 31 South tongiht. I'll talk to one of our members who's a "mover & shaker" with the show to find out specifics on admission & post later tonight. Tonight my Valve Cover Racer attempts to improve its record to a perfect 7-0, dating back to its debut in 2004. It's kind of like pine wood derbies in cub scouts, except you have to use a Corvair valve cover and it can't weigh more than 4.5 lbs. I've retired the old "Road Maven" scheme I had on it and am debuting its new incarnation: "Lady Luck". Pictures of it later!

How was the show? Did you win the valve cover derby?

I ended up busier than I thought I would be (what else is new) on Saturday and so we couldn't make it.

jim

It went well....we had 55 Corvairs registered for the show, so it was definitely a boost for us, and should be one of our more profitable shows our club's had in a while. But that heat was getting brutal as the day wore on. I hit the swap area for an hour or so and didn't even see half of it. I just got a pineapple whip and headed back for the show field. :) The valve cover race went well Friday night, as "Lady Luck" pulled out another win, even though I heard a smattering of light-hearted boos Saturday night at the banquet when they they announced me as winning. Oh well....it's not easy being king. :blush: