American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Weekend Cruise Pics....

roadmaven

The other half will whip me like a bad habit for posting this too soon, but just posted are our weekend pics to the lovely & talented Cincinnati, Ohio! A combined wedding anniversary/birthday trip, we motored down U.S. 52 to Metamora, Indiana, then traced old 52 into Cincinnati, where we made our way to the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame Museum. As a lad growing up in the mid-70's, the Reds were "my team", and back in those days "5" was the number I worshipped, as Johnny Bench was bigger than life for me. Sunday was spent at the fine Cincnnati Zoo....highly recommended if in the Queen City. Sunday afternoon we had a late lunch/early dinner at Pompilio's in Covington, KY, where part of "Rain Man" was filmed (the restaurant where the toothpick scene occurred). Heading home, we steered towards Madison, IN for some of their famous fudge, but all were closed by the time we got there.

The pics are all here: Cincy I'll follow up when we get captions on them, but feel free to browse & wonder to yourself, "Hmmmm...I wonder what that is". :driving2:

The other half will whip me like a bad habit for posting this too soon, but just posted are our weekend pics to the lovely & talented Cincinnati, Ohio! A combined wedding anniversary/birthday trip, we motored down U.S. 52 to Metamora, Indiana, then traced old 52 into Cincinnati, where we made our way to the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame Museum. As a lad growing up in the mid-70's, the Reds were "my team", and back in those days "5" was the number I worshipped, as Johnny Bench was bigger than life for me. Sunday was spent at the fine Cincnnati Zoo....highly recommended if in the Queen City. Sunday afternoon we had a late lunch/early dinner at Pompilio's in Covington, KY, where part of "Rain Man" was filmed (the restaurant where the toothpick scene occurred). Heading home, we steered towards Madison, IN for some of their famous fudge, but all were closed by the time we got there.

The pics are all here: Cincy I'll follow up when we get captions on them, but feel free to browse & wonder to yourself, "Hmmmm...I wonder what that is". :driving2:

Roadmaven

Wow, now there is a great set of photos! I only eyeballed them fairly fast, but the cost of the new digital was well justified! I'm anxious for the captions,. But even without them, you showed a keen eye for interesting shots. Maybe not having to pay for film has freed the ole shutter finger.

Bring on the rest of the story..and captions.

I just went back for another visit. Some of those are show stoppers (except for the guy in the red hat :rolleyes: ). Seriously great images.

Now, do you know your way around Photoshop or other capable photo editing software? For example the ducks arse shot needs to be cropped in a simple way, and some need some shadow enhancement. Maybe that is what the "other half" wanted you to wait for.

Anyway...as you can tell, I'm impressed! The Midwest...ya gotta love it!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, about 82.4% of those photos come from the co-hort and her Nikon D-50. *sigh* That's why she makes the big bucks! I'll give you the caption for one of the photos (the one showing the scoreboard): "Pat reminds us why his parents put him in band instead of little league, as his "efforts" with a baseball are displayed with his "smokin'" 50mph fastball....and he still couldn't get it over the plate." :lol:

I didn't have to ..."wonder what that is" but I did wonder how you found your way around Cincy without my help. Oh, that's right. Somebody's got a new GPS that must include Ohio maps. :lol:

I think that's the second time KtSotR has commented on the great pictures from your new camera but I was biting my tongue. I'm glad you 'fessed up before Jennifer busted you.

I haven't yet seen the Rose display myself. I think it's there through the end of the year so I should be able to make it. Of course, some of the stuff is there full time and that includes the wall of baseballs where you made a minor goof. I believe there are actually 4256 balls there representing all of Pete's hits and not just the 4192 that was, erroneously it turns out, reported to have broken Cobb's record. Apparently a recount reduced Cobb's hits to 4189 so the hoopla and headlines weren't quite accurate. But 4192 is what was celebrated and what will be remembered.

Ooh, ooh, I forgot to mention that, while I didn't wonder what it was, I did wonder where it was when I saw the Zip Dip picture. That's a place I didn't know about and will have to try soon. Glad you came over to find that for me. :)

I think that's the second time KtSotR has commented on the great pictures from your new camera but I was biting my tongue. I'm glad you 'fessed up before Jennifer busted you.

He's right, Dave. A good way to tell is on the Flickr site, you can see to the right of the picture what camera took the photo.....errr....."digital image". Anything that says "Nikon D-50" will be JB's. But, even though we both have a Canon PowerShot 550, I refuse to deny any images taken by that camera aren't mine. :rolleyes:

He's right, Dave. A good way to tell is on the Flickr site, you can see to the right of the picture what camera took the photo.....errr....."digital image". Anything that says "Nikon D-50" will be JB's. But, even though we both have a Canon PowerShot 550, I refuse to deny any images taken by that camera aren't mine. :rolleyes:

Pat,

Then artistic talent does play a part in photography!! :o Damn!!!!. :angry:

I was headed out with high hopes to buy a Powershot 550. Back to my mediocrity....and broken dreams. :(

Each new camera I buy gives me more capabilities, but no more talent. I can now take mediocre pictures in low light, at long distances, wide angles, in three D, and panorama!

But pass the praise on to Jennifer.

Denny seems to know all...see all..its spooky! B)

Roadmaven

Wow, now there is a great set of photos! I only eyeballed them fairly fast, but the cost of the new digital was well justified! I'm anxious for the captions,. But even without them, you showed a keen eye for interesting shots. Maybe not having to pay for film has freed the ole shutter finger.

Bring on the rest of the story..and captions.

I just went back for another visit. Some of those are show stoppers (except for the guy in the red hat :rolleyes: ). Seriously great images.

Now, do you know your way around Photoshop or other capable photo editing software? For example the ducks arse shot needs to be cropped in a simple way, and some need some shadow enhancement. Maybe that is what the "other half" wanted you to wait for.

Anyway...as you can tell, I'm impressed! The Midwest...ya gotta love it!

Pat doesn't use Photoshop, but I do, extensively...except this time, I did very little except some standard, across the board enhancements. I wanted to get them up more quickly than I usually do, since there are times it's taken months...if not a year, to get around to it. The problem is my Nikon...while it takes great photos (in capable hands! :) ) I take so many photos, that when I get back at times it's overwhelming to go through them all. So I breezed through them at a much faster pace than Pat's "fastball". So, I made some editing concessions...besides, on this trip, more of the road shots were taken from the car as we drove through, so they aren't as good as usual...but thanks for the compliments! :)

I didn't have to ..."wonder what that is" but I did wonder how you found your way around Cincy without my help. Oh, that's right. Somebody's got a new GPS that must include Ohio maps. :lol:

I haven't yet seen the Rose display myself. I think it's there through the end of the year so I should be able to make it. Of course, some of the stuff is there full time and that includes the wall of baseballs where you made a minor goof. I believe there are actually 4256 balls there representing all of Pete's hits and not just the 4192 that was, erroneously it turns out, reported to have broken Cobb's record. Apparently a recount reduced Cobb's hits to 4189 so the hoopla and headlines weren't quite accurate. But 4192 is what was celebrated and what will be remembered.

Ooh, ooh, I forgot to mention that, while I didn't wonder what it was, I did wonder where it was when I saw the Zip Dip picture. That's a place I didn't know about and will have to try soon. Glad you came over to find that for me. :)

I fixed the erroneous entry regarding the number of baseballs...thanks, Denny! In the throes of my horrible chest cold this week, I assumed the baseballs were a representation of 4,192!

And yes, the Palm had Ohio maps on it...gotta love geotagging the photos! :)

In skilled and capable hands, the Canon PowerShot 550 is an excellent camera. Being a Point & Shoot, it is of course limited, but in most typical situations, it does a fine job...just not as good as the Nikon D-50 in equally capable hands! :P

• 1 month later...

Hi Pat,

Do you or anyone else know where I can get the Lightning McQueen sun visor that appears in that Ford Firetruck? . . . And what is that, about a 1948? What a beauty!

... Chris

Hi Pat,

Do you or anyone else know where I can get the Lightning McQueen sun visor that appears in that Ford Firetruck? . . . And what is that, about a 1948? What a beauty!

... Chris

Hi Chris.....Check on ebay and do a search for "cars sun shade". There's currently an auction for one right now that can be had "for cheap". B)