American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Sharing Route Or Track Files

Jennifer

I'm curious about the posting track or route files here or in some format.

I use DeLorme SA2008, but I know track files can be in a universal "GPX" file format. Since I am new to this, I am opening up the possibility of sharing routes taken, as well as those planned.

As a perfect example - Pat asked Denny in a thread about whether he had plotted a route on current maps for the PP-OO. If he did that in SA, we could exchange files, and I could give that to Pat. It might be a cool reference...just a thought.

Oh, and after this weekend's jaunt on the MO Route 66 Motor Tour, ask Roadmaven what his thoughts are on my GPS *now*! LOL :)

I'm curious about the posting track or route files here or in some format.
I've started to reply to this post a couple of times but found myself heading towards some long and useless dissertation. I wanted to express my doubts about any sort of wholesale posting particularly regarding tracks. Routes might be useful (and maybe tracks, too, but I'm dubious) and I've even tried being the first. It turns out that file suffixes must be specifically allowed and the ones I've tried (GPX, DMT, ANR) are not on the approved list. I suggest allowing GPX files only. They are really a specialized version of XML so I believe they are safe. DMT, ANR, etc. may also be safe but I'm less sure and I believe we can get by without them.

You've suggested that the PP-OO route discussed in another thread might be worth sharing. I've directly shared that with Pat using a DMT file and just this morning posted it at my own website with a link in that thread. If GPX files were allowed, I might have uploaded it here as an attachment.

Similarly posting the proposed route of our Cave City, trip might have been useful and posting it for next spring's trip to ??? is a possibility.

...ask Roadmaven what his thoughts are on my GPS *now*! LOL :)
So, he didn't miss being lost and backtracking to see the sights? :o