American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lincoln Highway Photos Roadhound Didn't Take

Roadhound’s terrific write ups and photos of his Lincoln Highway trip with his father and son brought back memories of a similar trip Sheila, Rose of the Road and I did a couple of years ago. Between Tippets and Ely Roadhound had poor lighting and shared only two photos. I want to add a few more with an extra touch of history to highlight the area.

Like his day, the day I took these photos was overcast and threatening rain. We were earlier in the day so there was more light, despite the heavy overcast.

Both Roadhound and I encountered rain squalls between Tippetts and Ibapah. This is a view of that road (looking eastbound) with the rain squalls approaching us. About 15 minutes after this photo was taken, we were caught in a squall that turned the top two inches of the road to mud and ended our eastward advance (unlike Roadhound in his 4 Wheel Drive). The remaining photos are in order westward to match Roadhounds travel path but were actually taken in the opposite order when we were there.

ARTippetsEast2.jpg

Rain Squalls on the Lincoln

This is Tippets (39.86919, -114.34756) itself, looking southward from the Lincoln. This was a favorite and important stop on the old road. It was operated by various people over the years. John Tippett built the original store and out buildings in the late 1880’s. They are log with dirt roofs.

ATTippits2.jpg

Tippets as it Looks Today

On August 23rd, 1919 the mechanics with the 1919 Dwight Eisenhower Transcontinental Motor Convoy stayed here after the disastrous crossing of the Good Year cutoff. They had been so occupied salvaging Army vehicles that they didn’t reach Tippets until midnight, and were more than 20 miles behind the main body camped at Anderson’s Ranch (see last photo). It is reputed that some of the Army men bathed in the Reservoir seen in this photo looking westward from Tippets with the Lincoln headed for the horizon. Whether they did or not, this was a favorite camping spot in the teens and 20’s.

ARTippetsEisenhower4.jpg

Reservoir at Tippetts

The facsimile 1924 official guide indicates that Tippets offered gasoline, meals, lodging and a camp site, not to mention a long distance phone! It adds that the next station of the “Highway Telephone Line” is at Stone Cabin Ranch.

ARStoneHouse2.jpg

Stone Cabin Ranch AKA Stone House. (39.78061, 114.54034)

ARStoneHouseFireplace.jpg

The Old Fireplace at Stone House Ranch

A short distance (perhaps 200 yards) away is the Spring Valley Pony Express Station (see photo) where Pony Express rider Nick Wilson made the mistake of chasing some Indians who had taken his horse into a grove of trees. He took an arrow to the head, about two inches above his left eye. He was left half dead, but was rescued and recovered after a long period. He led a productive life after the Pony Express expired, but he was always seen in later years wearing a hat covering the scar.

ARSpringValley.jpg

Spring Valley Pony Express Station near Stone House

Anderson Ranch sits near the eastern base of Schellborne Pass and is where the Eisenhower Motor Convoy bivwacked the night after their torturous crossing of the Good Year cut off. The Ranch was another familiar stop for many on the old Lincoln Highway.

ARAnderson2.jpg

Anderson Ranch (39.82663, 114.56083)

I hope you enjoy these additional images from this section of the Lincoln.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Outstanding Keep! Thanks for posting those. I am already looking at the calendar for next year trying to figure out when I can go back there. The first photo is almost exactly what it looked like for us with very dark, threatening, clouds. I really regret not stopping at Stonehouse too.

If we haven't caused the folks east of the Mississippi to start itchin for a journey west by now I don't suppose there is much else we can do.

Roadhound

Outstanding Keep! Thanks for posting those. I am already looking at the calendar for next year trying to figure out when I can go back there. The first photo is almost exactly what it looked like for us with very dark, threatening, clouds. I really regret not stopping at Stonehouse too.

If we haven't caused the folks east of the Mississippi to start itchin for a journey west by now I don't suppose there is much else we can do.

Roadhound

Thanks Roadhound.

I have greatly enjoyed your reports. You see things in a way I don’t, and I know it isn’t just technical. I admit to being lazy, so I miss opportunities. For example your shot of Stokes Castle is what every shot of that structure should be. I showed it to Sheila and she immediately agreed. That is Stokes Castle....the definitive image. I wouldn’t post my shots for $1000 now, but I see better now that I have seen your shot..

And the photo of the church in Austin is the only one I have seen in 25 years that is truly interesting....many are pretty, but none I recall capture the essence of the church and the run down around the edges character of Austin. By the way, that isn’t a criticism of Austin...run down around the edges is splendid, worth visiting, a must see. Boutique pretty is like a thousand other places I don’t even slow down for. Austin is a jewel.

We are going to have house guests for the next few days...but when I get some time, let’s see what might happen on a tour. And I think I might see what the guys back in the Midwest are doing, and do a meet and greet back there if they have anything interesting going on. Then they will fell obligated to come out west!

Maybe Mobilene and Roadmaven have planted a seed, and DennyG is always ready to go. RoadDog, and maybe Kevin have their foot on the pedal, and I think Hester-nec was bemoaning that he might not ever see some of these places. There are folks (Dave, Jack, Larry, etc) I’m forgetting who have the itch, so something might happen.

For me it is all talk now, but I think we could start something fun if we had simple, low key, relatively short and inexpensive road trips, the simpler the better. It is just a thought, and a pretty vague one at that!

Anyway. I am downright delighted that you enjoyed the fill in photos!

And I just looked at ypour last post again...Gees those photos are great.

I just wish my ability to scratch this growing itch were not so sharply limited by availability of funds. :-(

jim

Mobilene,

I hear you!

I had to wait many years before I had the time and money to visit Stone House. It was on my maps and in my old guides, and long before I went, I had a mental picture of coming over Schellbourn Pass and down to Stone House. This was before the days of Google and 3D maps (other than USGS topos) so it was all in my mind’s eye.

In my mind it was truly a mystery house, alone in a barren desert, unknown except to a few, and on a stretch of road very few knew existed, and far fewer ever drove. In a way Roadhound and I may have robbed you of a little bit of the magic of your imagination. As it turned out, the grass was greener and the pass less steep than I imagined...but no less enjoyable, when I finally did go the first time.

One great thing about two lane and old road travel is that there are old roads everywhere. So don’t rule out the National Road or PPOO, the Dixie, Bankhead, closer to home.

We have house guests (more like RV guests) arriving shortly so I have some honey does to get to. Let’s continue thinking about a gathering of the gang.

I just wish my ability to scratch this growing itch were not so sharply limited by availability of funds. :-(

I too feel your pain. If it weren't for a lack of time and lack of $$$ I would be following as many of these old roads as I possibly could.

This last road trip wasn't to expensive. In total it probably cost less than $400 for me which isn't bad for a week long vacation, and that is including getting the flat fixed in Winnemucca. It did help that my father was splitting expenses with me. It also helped that we camped out half the time. A $12 camping spot is a lot cheaper than a $70 hotel room. Tack onto that the money saved by cooking over the Coleman and eating lunch on the tailgate and it makes the trip much more economical. Road trips get expensive when your staying at a Hotel/Motel every night and eating three meals a day at a resturaunt. Last year when we took a 2 week trip from California to Saskatchewan I budgeted $160 a day for expenses and ended up spending well beyond that. I think I'm still paying off that trip.