American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Publicizing The Lincoln In Nebraska

The magazine, Nebraska Life, published bi-monthly in Norfolk, Nebraska, has had at least one article about the Lincoln Highway and a number of advertisers situated on or near the LH mention the Lincoln in their ads. The most recent mention I've noted is a tourism ad for Columbus, Nebraska, sub-headlined "...along the Lincoln Highway" . The ad design includes a LH "Nebraska Byway" logo, in the Sept - Oct 2007 issue (pg 85).

The article, called "Touring the Lincoln", was published in the May-June 2000 issue, which was before I was a subscriber and the issue is now, alas, out of print. I shall do some searching and see if I can find a copy of the article and perhaps get permission to reprint it.

The website for Nebraska Life magazine is http://www.nebraskalife.com

Also...by way of self-introduction, the following is part of a post I made to our Illinois Lincoln Highway Google Group ( http://groups.google.com/group/ILHA) :

1. Grew up most of my life in Fremont, NE

2. Lived/worked for several years in Denison, IA

3. Lived/worked for several years in Kearney, NE

4. Now live in DeKalb (well, actually Sycamore) IL

All on the LH!

I also lived for some period of time in Lincoln, NE - alas NOT on the LH - in Lancaster County - which is Nebraska is pronounced LAN - caster; not LANK - ester.

I am active in the Illinois Chapter of the LHA and am also a member of the Nebraska Chapter.

Larry

Welcome aboard, Larry. I've been trying to catch up with Rick Sebak's blog mentioned in another thread ( http://americanroadmagazine.com/forum/inde...p?showtopic=533 ) and just read of their Grand Island, NE, visit this morning. There is a section (maybe the only remaining section) of one of the original seedling miles there. I thought I'd try to impress you with that bit of Nebraska LH knowledge (even though I didn't even know that much at 7:00 this morning :) ).

It looks like this forum picked up the trailing parentheses as part of the URL in your Google Group link but this:

http://groups.google.com/group/ILHA

should work.

Larry F,

Welcome! Illinois is well represented here, as are Lincoln Highway fans. My Lincoln Highway interests are a bit further west….Utah and Nevada…but still on the Father Road.

I took a look at your link, as adjusted by DennyG, and then did a search on your other posts there…which led me to the photos of your Fremont trip.

Will you repost your Vacation 31 shot of the Lincoln Highway pennant here? I ask because I was about to post the photos below and I note that your photo is of the 1914 pennant shown in this ad!!

ARATJ2.jpg

1914 Lincoln Highway Membership Ad with Pennant

ARATJ3.jpg

1914 Lincoln Highway Gas Pump Ad

ARATJ1.jpg

Ad Source. April 1914 Automobile Trade Journal

I found it interesting that an April 1914 trade publication was already advertising Lincoln Highway gas pumps and giving free advertising space to encourage membership in the Association!.

Just for the record, $5 in 1914 is equivalent to $105 today.

Long Live the Lincoln…and Keep the Show on the Road!

Here is the picture I took in July 2007 of the 1914 pennant. It's not the best picture, as the pennant and the other LH materials displayed are, understandably, under glass. The Fremont (Nebraska) Area Chamber of Commerce, in the historic old Post Office Building, at 6th and Broad Streets in Fremont, has a nice - albeit small - LH exhibit, which I believe is permanent.

The city has marked the LH route through the city with smaller route markers, but I did not observe directional (turn) signs, so one would need to be careful not to lose the route.

post-2369-1188506471_thumb.jpg

FYI, that is not an original pennant - it is a half-size repro we made about a decade ago for a LH Heritage Corridor cruise in PA. BTW, they last only a few minutes on your antenna before shredding in the wind!

They were based on a pair I have, I think the only original L & R pair surviving. I'll attach a pic from the LH event we had in Pittsburgh this July that shows them with a complete membership package too.

Brian

www.brianbutko.com

post-60-1188564275_thumb.jpg

Here is the picture I took in July 2007 of the 1914 pennant. It's not the best picture, as the pennant and the other LH materials displayed are, understandably, under glass. The Fremont (Nebraska) Area Chamber of Commerce, in the historic old Post Office Building, at 6th and Broad Streets in Fremont, has a nice - albeit small - LH exhibit, which I believe is permanent.

The city has marked the LH route through the city with smaller route markers, but I did not observe directional (turn) signs, so one would need to be careful not to lose the route.

post-2369-1188506471_thumb.jpg

FYI, that is not an original pennant - it is a half-size repro we made about a decade ago for a LH Heritage Corridor cruise in PA. BTW, they last only a few minutes on your antenna before shredding in the wind!

They were based on a pair I have, I think the only original L & R pair surviving. I'll attach a pic from the LH event we had in Pittsburgh this July that shows them with a complete membership package too.

Brian

www.brianbutko.com

Butko_LHpennants.jpg

Brian,

Always pleased to see the authority step in! And thanks for the photo! Amazing pair! How (where)in the world did you find them? And in such great shape.

I was trying to get stuff put away, and thumbing through the journal, was interested to see the membership pitch and the gas pump ad.

I thought the lead in for the Association ad was interesting...”The Anti-Pikers Association of America.” And the fact that the Journal donated the space....a nice indication of the perceived importance of the new Lincoln Highway for the industry!

Keep the Show on the Road..

Hey, Larry, welcome to the American Road Forum. Lots of real "Road" folks here.

From one ILHA person to another.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

The Lincoln Highway across Iowa and Nebraska intrigues me because - well, it's the Lincoln Highway. And I haven't seen much of Iowa. I've never been anywhere in Nebraska except for visiting cousins in Lincoln and I've certainly never been on the LH.

RoadDog, why don't you consider organizing a cruise through there sometime? This board sounds as if several folks would be interested. Also, Denny and Pat - any set-in-stone plans or early discussions regarding next year's spring cruise? Don't mean to be pushy; just curious......Bliss

Hey, Larry, welcome to the American Road Forum. Lots of real "Road" folks here.

From one ILHA person to another.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Hey, Road Dog, my friend. Thanks for your post. By the way, I have some history with the "Mother Road", too. I have driven some segments of US 66 in Illinois, Missouri, and Oklahoma, although not extensively.

You know of Devil's Elbow, MO? Back when I was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood in 1968-70 after returning from overseas, I was of sufficient rank that I didn't have to live in on-base quarters. Another E-5 and I rented a small cottage in Devil's Elbow, about 1 block off the route of 66 which used to go right through the place. By then, I-44 had already been completed, and there was only local traffic on the route. As I recall, we had two taverns, a small grocery, and a Post Office. I drove through there the last time I was around Waynesville - Rolla several years ago, and there wasn't much left there - not that there was much there in the first place.

I'm thinking I probably should have posted this in the Route 66 forum! And, when are you going to add a LH logo to your signature, too! HA!

The trade journal is very cool, and very casually worded for the LHA. My membership packet and pennants were found by a friend who deals in rare books, as part of an estate. That was 15 years ago, before the road had been rediscovered - when dealers would say "all the Lincoln Highway stuff was bought up decades ago"! But there's always more out there somewhere....

The trade journal is very cool, and very casually worded for the LHA. My membership packet and pennants were found by a friend who deals in rare books, as part of an estate. That was 15 years ago, before the road had been rediscovered - when dealers would say "all the Lincoln Highway stuff was bought up decades ago"! But there's always more out there somewhere....

Brian,

You are right, there is always something more out there...that’s what keeps us looking.

I found the Anti Pike lead to be interesting because I hadn’t seen that theme previously identified with the Lincoln.. It isn’t 100% clear to me what it is to be Anti Pike. Perhaps incorrectly, I think of a pike as being a through road, probably with a toll. So I’m guessing that to characterize the Association as Anti Pike was to say “anti toll on through roads.” Is that your take on it?

Don’t feel obligated to reply, but if you would like the Trade Journal to go with the pennants, I’ll trade it for a signed copy of your Greetings from the Lincoln Highway (I won’t sign the Journal! :D ). I’d feel the Journal had an excellent home. Just send me an e-mail or personal message.

Keep the Show on the Road!

I thought for sure I had a picture of them from Pittsburgh but nooooo. It sometimes seems I have a knack for missing photo opportunities.

Also, Denny and Pat - any set-in-stone plans or early discussions regarding next year's spring cruise? Don't mean to be pushy; just curious......Bliss

Not only is there nothing set in stone, we haven't even found a stone to set "it" in! :lol: I recall a while back a loose discussion about touring the West Baden Springs Hotel in West Baden, IN, but nothing ever materialized from it.

I'd be more than happy to do something with the Lincoln, as it seems to be the "flavor of the month" right now. A 3-day weekend for most of us midwesterners would likely work, whether it's from Illinois to the west or Illinois to the east. A 3-day weekend could give us a lot of time to roam. And about the only use for the super slab is it gets us to the old roads quicker. ;) However, my knowledge of the L.H. is far too limited to know of any "must stops". I'd probably have to defer planning of this one to a more experienced Lincolneer.

=|:-)= (Abe Lincoln emoticon for those wondering!)

Now we need KtSotR and Roadhound to work on something for the forum members in the western region! Boys???

The western contingent and the midwestern reigment could one day plan a road trip that meets in the middle! We could share photos from our digicams over dinner at some diner (well, it wouldn't be really a diner, but we'd call it as we saw it) and then each group would head back the direction from which it came! jim

Edited by mobilene

The western contingent and the midwestern reigment could one day plan a road trip that meets in the middle! We could share photos from our digicams over dinner at some diner (well, it wouldn't be really a diner, but we'd call it as we saw it) and then each group would head back the direction from which it came! jim

Both Roadmaven and Mobilene have intriguing ideas. However, I don’t think they are likely to happen easily because of the distances involved. I’m thinking that maybe a fly and drive is easier.

Is it conceivable that two or three of us from the west could fly to a central location and rent cars, or share one? Then we could hook up with the Midwest contingent. It could be in the Midwest, or ?

Maybe it’s a possibility. Do we want to kick it around? Not for next week but maybe late Fall or next spring.

Keep the Show on the Road

Both Roadmaven and Mobilene have intriguing ideas. However, I don’t think they are likely to happen easily because of the distances involved. I’m thinking that maybe a fly and drive is easier.

Is it conceivable that two or three of us from the west could fly to a central location and rent cars, or share one? Then we could hook up with the Midwest contingent. It could be in the Midwest, or ?

Maybe it’s a possibility. Do we want to kick it around? Not for next week but maybe late Fall or next spring.

Keep the Show on the Road

I think it's definitely a possiblity, whether we would meet in the middle or one of the contingents travels to the other's. However, since my feet stay on the ground, I'd be driving!