American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

I'm Batting A Zero

mobilene

Well, maybe a .100.

In prep for my upcoming US 31 trip, I scored a c. 1930 St. Joseph County (South Bend) map and a 1922 Automobile Blue Book.

Both arrived. Neither are what I thought.

The ABB is Volume 4, which in the teens covered the midwest region -- but by 1922, as the number of ABB volumes shrunk, Volume 4 came to cover the entire western US. Not an Indiana road in sight. I knew about the volume shrinkage, but I didn't think to double-check with the seller before I bid.

The St. Joseph County map is advertising supported -- and one of the ads is for Crosley and RCA televisions. That places the map as no newer than about 1948. In addition, the neighborhood I spent my first 9 years in is on the map, and those houses didn't go in until about 1950.

The ABB is pretty much useless to me today, but I'll shelve it in case I ever motor west. The county map is still interesting. It showed me parts of the downtown South Bend route of the LH that I have never seen because since my memory kicked in the road has been removed in those areas. That was moderately cool.

Well, I guess I'm learning.

jim

Jim,

I’m sorry that your recent adventures into the map and guide buying process generated a .100!

The good news is I don’t think you are likely to lose money on a 1922 Western (Vol 4) ABB. Unlike a modern book, it should resell for what you paid, and very likely better (I looked up your purchase on Ebay). The Western volumes tend to command a higher price because they were a bit rarer.

I’m not sure, but I probably have at least one volume of ABB in every year, and each shows the coverage of every volume for that year.... so if you need advice on coverage for a given year let me know.

Keep the Show on the Road!

I keep forgetting that when you use the same handle all over the Internet that you're not hard to find.

As luck would have it, I found and bought a 1924 ABB, vol. 3, yesterday. The description says it covers "OH and KY over to Minn, Iowa, MO." So I should be good.

I spent some time looking through my 1922 vol. 4 yesterday and just thoroughly enjoyed it. I mostly looked at the ads. But I learned that this volume does include certain major cross-country routes, including the National Road across Indiana. I was thrilled to learn that a road I wondered about, aboug halfway to Terre Haute, was the National Road in 1922. I photographed it last year (scroll to the bottom of this page). But I was really following a section that used to be US 40 in there -- in the photo, you can see how the pale cement curves off and, curiously, ends at woods. The cement road is old 40, while the Natl. Road kept going straight.

Keep, perhaps you can identify with the elation I felt.

Alex, I'll keep you in mind if I ever decide to ditch the 1922.

jim

I keep forgetting that when you use the same handle all over the Internet that you're not hard to find.

As luck would have it, I found and bought a 1924 ABB, vol. 3, yesterday. The description says it covers "OH and KY over to Minn, Iowa, MO." So I should be good.

I spent some time looking through my 1922 vol. 4 yesterday and just thoroughly enjoyed it. I mostly looked at the ads. But I learned that this volume does include certain major cross-country routes, including the National Road across Indiana. I was thrilled to learn that a road I wondered about, aboug halfway to Terre Haute, was the National Road in 1922. I photographed it last year (scroll to the bottom of this page). But I was really following a section that used to be US 40 in there -- in the photo, you can see how the pale cement curves off and, curiously, ends at woods. The cement road is old 40, while the Natl. Road kept going straight.

Keep, perhaps you can identify with the elation I felt.

Alex, I'll keep you in mind if I ever decide to ditch the 1922.

jim

You probably have a 1922 “Western and Transcontinental” ABB which does include cross country routes. And you nailed it for a nice price. And now you are starting to be intrigued.....you are doomed! :rolleyes: You have caught the disease.

Instead of batting zero you have laid the cornerstone for a whole new collection! One nice thing about your interest is that you are buying to use, which means you don’t have to spend a fortune for condition.

I am continuing to get my stuff organized, which is no small undertaking, in part because I end up sitting down and enjoying each item I pull out of a box. I ran across an April 1914 Automobile Trade Journal which had a very long piece on the Ford factory with many photos, even including a plant layout.

Even more interesting to me were two ads. I think the Lincoln Highway came into the public eye in the last quarter of 1913. By April 1914 there were ads in trade journals for Lincoln Highway gas pumps! (I am going to post a couple of the ads in the Lincoln Highway forum here.)

Speaking of identity, I think you have to assume that anything you put on the internet can be tied back to you if someone wishes to take the time. It is spooky. B)

As far as elation goes….I do understand. As a 30 year veteran collector I know the feeling. And later when your collection gets out of hand, you can rediscover every item! :)

Oh, and don't let that sly dog :D Alex beat me to the punch if you sell the ABB!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Yep, it's a Western and Transcontinental. It's not right in front of me but I do believe it also says Vol 4.

Funny, I thought I detected that familiar chill that accompanies doom. I suppose that when my roadsleuthing eventually radiates beyond the confines of the midwest, I'll want to have more of these guides. As it is, I can see myself buying a smattering of midwest guides from various years just to compare routes.

I know what it is to have a collection so large you lose track of what's in it, and then you find something in it and enjoy it anew. I used to have a very large collection of viniyl Lps, so large that I'd buy stuff, bring it home, go to file it, and realize I already had two copies.

jim