American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Farewell To Noah's Ark, St. Charles, Mo

rudkipon66

If you passed through the St. Louis area on I-70 in the 60's and 70's, and crossed the Missouri River Bridge at St. Charles, you might have noticed Noah's Ark (it was on the right side of I-70 going East, easily visible from the interstate). It is alas joining the original ark starting today. My Dad took me there often after it opened (I think it was his way of paying me back for making me eat in fancy places that did not serve French Fries. It was neat, complete with recreations of elephants, giraffes and other animals. It has sat vacant for years and apparently there is not much that can be done with the structure itself. Sad way to go, though--"lets have a party and tear down a landmark!" Oh well...slainte, old friend! Tsingtao Kip

http://stcharlesjournal.stltoday.com/artic...c_ark_1.ii1.txt

What a bizarre event! A few months ago I wouldn't have had any idea what you were talking about but I encountered the "ark" on my Boone's Lick outing in May.

The article makes no mention of ShowMe Aquatics & Fitness being a non-profit organization which is something I learned from a web search. Knowing that a non-profit outfit is benefiting from photos of sledgehammer wielding celebrants makes it a little less bizarre - but only a little.