American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

New Pbs Documentary

First, we had the Michaels writing that book, and now it appears that we will have a new PBS documentary on it.

WQED producer Rick Sebak, cameraman Bob Lubomski, and Jarrett Buba are on a trip running from late August to early September along the Father Road. They are gathering material about the Lincoln's history and charms.

The working title is "A Ride Along the Lincoln Highway."

You can view their blog at

http://www.wqed.org/tv/natl/lincoln_hwy/blog

Lots of great pictures and commentary. Check it out.

When it Rains, it Pours. --RoadDog

First, we had the Michaels writing that book, and now it appears that we will have a new PBS documentary on it.

WQED producer Rick Sebak, cameraman Bob Lubomski, and Jarrett Buba are on a trip running from late August to early September along the Father Road. They are gathering material about the Lincoln's history and charms.

The working title is "A Ride Along the Lincoln Highway."

You can view their blog at

http://www.wqed.org/tv/natl/lincoln_hwy/blog

Lots of great pictures and commentary. Check it out.

When it Rains, it Pours. --RoadDog

RoadDog,

Thanks for the tip on the prospective PBS Lincoln Highway show. The blog is fun and interesting.

I wonder how far west they will get. Roadhound just posted a great set of images from Utah and eastern Nevada. I hope they get that far.

Glad to see you on the boards...Keep the Show on the Road!

RoadDog,

Thanks for the tip on the prospective PBS Lincoln Highway show. The blog is fun and interesting.

I wonder how far west they will get. Roadhound just posted a great set of images from Utah and eastern Nevada. I hope they get that far.

Glad to see you on the boards...Keep the Show on the Road!

I wonder which route they will take through Utah? I hope they don't wimp out and follow 80 across the Great Salt Lake. With PBS backing them I would hope that they could get access to, and through, the Dugway Proving Grounds.

Roadhound

Rick Sebak was one of the speakers at the book signing in Pittsburgh and he mentioned that an LH related program was in the works. But he didn't mention (or I didn't hear) the blog. I just did a couple of spot checks and need to get back to read the whole thing. I'm fighting the urge to do that now because I can tell it has the ability to make me seriously late for work.

This from the blog about crossing Nebraska ...

"But yesterday we were on Route 30 for much of the day, and it was excellent, never crowded and it was a magnificent day. We were alone much of the time on the highway. And I realized that we had to thank the interstates for that. Most of the traffic that used to clog this sort of highway is now out on the big limited access interstates, and we were able to enjoy the occasional town, the rare red light, the stores and funeral parlors, the silos and grain elevators, the houses, yard sales and people of the American midwest.

We never feel bored."

Could not have expressed it better myself.

Thanks for the tip RoadDog.

This from the blog about crossing Nebraska ...

"But yesterday we were on Route 30 for much of the day, and it was excellent, never crowded and it was a magnificent day. We were alone much of the time on the highway. And I realized that we had to thank the interstates for that. Most of the traffic that used to clog this sort of highway is now out on the big limited access interstates, and we were able to enjoy the occasional town, the rare red light, the stores and funeral parlors, the silos and grain elevators, the houses, yard sales and people of the American midwest.

We never feel bored."

Could not have expressed it better myself.

Thanks for the tip RoadDog.

Bucfan,

I guess we gotta love the interstates!

keep the Show on the Road!

Bucfan,

I guess we gotta love the interstates!

keep the Show on the Road!

I see by today's posting that the PBS Team has reached the Great Salt Lake. It's decision time. Which route will they take?

South through Tooele and the late 20's route?

The original route through Grantsville, around Timpie Point, and down Skull Valley?

or

Will they wimp out, stay on the Interstate, and take the Wendover cutoff?

IMO they will be missing a great part of the Lincoln story if they go through Wendover and yes, I do have a biased opinion on the route they should take.

roadhound

I see by today's posting that the PBS Team has reached the Great Salt Lake. It's decision time. Which route will they take?

South through Tooele and the late 20's route?

The original route through Grantsville, around Timpie Point, and down Skull Valley?

or

Will they wimp out, stay on the Interstate, and take the Wendover cutoff?

IMO they will be missing a great part of the Lincoln story if they go through Wendover and yes, I do have a biased opinion on the route they should take.

roadhound

The only reason I see to take the Wendover Route is because you don't know better.

Keep the Show on the Road!

The only reason I see to take the Wendover Route is because you don't know better.

I am dissappointed. They are crossing the desert on I-80 despite an e-mail from Brian Butko urging them not to. I'll watch the documentary when it comes out but it doesn't mean that I have to like it.

I am dissappointed. They are crossing the desert on I-80 despite an e-mail from Brian Butko urging them not to. I'll watch the documentary when it comes out but it doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Roadhound,

I’ve thought about this. And now I’m not only glad that they took the lesser route, I am ecstatic. I hope they don’t even mention the good route on TV.

This is like the freeway....take it, please take it. I highly recommend the freeway to everyone, except my friends. I highly recommend the Wendover route, to all but my friends.

Imagine the carnage if 10,000,000 Americans knew where the good stuff was. There would be a hot dog stand at Tippets, and it would be covered with graffiti...at least the parts that had not been carried away by vandals.

I deeply respect Brian and his good intensions, but I plead with him, DON’T TELL THEM AGAIN!

Let’s be careful what we ask for....we might get it.

Roadhound,

I’ve thought about this. And now I’m not only glad that they took the lesser route, I am ecstatic. I hope they don’t even mention the good route on TV.

This is like the freeway....take it, please take it. I highly recommend the freeway to everyone, except my friends. I highly recommend the Wendover route, to all but my friends.

Imagine the carnage if 10,000,000 Americans knew where the good stuff was. There would be a hot dog stand at Tippets, and it would be covered with graffiti...at least the parts that had not been carried away by vandals.

I deeply respect Brian and his good intensions, but I plead with him, DON’T TELL THEM AGAIN!

Let’s be careful what we ask for....we might get it.

Excellent point! Thanks for me setting me straight.

What trail? I don't know anything about a trail across the desert. The only way to get there as far as I know is the Interstate. ;)

Roadhound

Thanks guys for putting me in a no-win situation! :)

Rick is well aware of the original route – he’s not new to this, he was writing about drive-in theaters in 1971, long before most people ever thought to look at old roads and businesses, and has done videos on such places for two decades. It’s obvious he and the crew are enjoying themselves and getting some great material. Lots of people are going to love the show and be inspired to hit the road. But don't worry, few will drive the dirt route through the Utah desert. At best, they'll see the Lincoln near them in a new way and maybe take a short trip. Heck, our friends all drool at the trips we take, but the few who even leave the state fly to Disney.

If anything, the video will help places stay afloat through increased business, and maybe raise community pride and idea of local preservation. That’s why I write – so others might be inspired to not cover their diner in plywood or keep their neon sign another year or donate their old photos to a library or that a town might not pave over a piece of old roadbed. Same thing that Drake Hokanson’s book did for me, and I’m still being inspired by posts here, like roadhound's photos!! I wouldn't want those deleted in the name of keeping the route a secret. Route 66 might be over-commercialized, but how many popular stops would still be open if not for the publicity?

Let's celebrate and share what we have - we'll gain some like-minded friends and the rest will follow their own path, er, Interstate.

BB

www.brianbutko.com

Thanks guys for putting me in a no-win situation! :)

Rick is well aware of the original route – he’s not new to this, he was writing about drive-in theaters in 1971, long before most people ever thought to look at old roads and businesses, and has done videos on such places for two decades. It’s obvious he and the crew are enjoying themselves and getting some great material. Lots of people are going to love the show and be inspired to hit the road. But don't worry, few will drive the dirt route through the Utah desert. At best, they'll see the Lincoln near them in a new way and maybe take a short trip. Heck, our friends all drool at the trips we take, but the few who even leave the state fly to Disney.

If anything, the video will help places stay afloat through increased business, and maybe raise community pride and idea of local preservation. That’s why I write – so others might be inspired to not cover their diner in plywood or keep their neon sign another year or donate their old photos to a library or that a town might not pave over a piece of old roadbed. Same thing that Drake Hokanson’s book did for me, and I’m still being inspired by posts here, like roadhound's photos!! I wouldn't want those deleted in the name of keeping the route a secret. Route 66 might be over-commercialized, but how many popular stops would still be open if not for the publicity?

Let's celebrate and share what we have - we'll gain some like-minded friends and the rest will follow their own path, er, Interstate.

BB

www.brianbutko.com

Brian,

First of all thank you so much for the compliment. I'm glad your enjoying the photos. I think that I mentioned in one of the postings that your book was in the cab of the truck with us and referenced often.

I really was hoping that the PBS team covered the route that I took last summer, especially if they were able to cover the section that I was not able to access through Dugway. Even though I called them 'wimps' for staying on the interstate I do understand their reasoning. I also look forward to the documentary.

I hope you are correct about the likelyhood of vandals making the trip being slim. I found that you have to have a level of committment to find it even if you know where to look. There was 3 months of heavy research with the help of your book and information provided by Keep the Show on the Road that was extremely beneficial. If you've gone to the effort of researching the route you will hopefully have developed a level of appreciation and the realization that what has remained through the Salt Lake Desert is truly special and to be preserved. I did.

Rick Pisio (aka Roadhound)