American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

I-40 Hernando-desoto Bridge, Memphis, Tn

A news report this morning produced some disturbing news. Apparently a bridge pier on the I-40 bridge across the Mississippi River at Memphis has some problems.

For those of you traveling east or west, at least for now, I'd recommend a detour either norh thru Dyersburg, over the I-155 bridge and go from there; or go south on U S 61 to south of Tunica and take the U S 45 bridge. I-55, the only road bridge now in operation, is handling 50,000 + cars a day - expect delays!!!! Incidentally, the I-55 bridge was built in the late 1940's to replace the board roadway wings on the Harahan Railroad Bridge - built in 1916. Both the Harahan and I-55 bridges, depsite their ages, seem to be holding up quite well, thank you.

Full story here:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/ - click on Hernando DeSoto Bridge closed due to pier inspection

The Associated Press

Originally published 12:00 p.m., August 27, 2007

Updated 01:09 p.m., August 27, 2007

The Hernando DeSoto Bridge that carries Interstate 40 traffic between Memphis and Arkansas was closed this morning after a bridge pier in a construction zone settled overnight.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

A news report this morning produced some disturbing news. Apparently a bridge pier on the I-40 bridge across the Mississippi River at Memphis has some problems.

For those of you traveling east or west, at least for now, I'd recommend a detour either norh thru Dyersburg, over the I-155 bridge and go from there; or go south on U S 61 to south of Tunica and take the U S 45 bridge. I-55, the only road bridge now in operation, is handling 50,000 + cars a day - expect delays!!!! Incidentally, the I-55 bridge was built in the late 1940's to replace the board roadway wings on the Harahan Railroad Bridge - built in 1916. Both the Harahan and I-55 bridges, depsite their ages, seem to be holding up quite well, thank you.

Full story here:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/ - click on Hernando DeSoto Bridge closed due to pier inspection

The Associated Press

The Hernando DeSoto Bridge that carries Interstate 40 traffic between Memphis and Arkansas was closed this morning after a bridge pier in a construction zone settled overnight.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Thanks for the report hester_nec.

Any idea what type of bridge the Hernando DeSoto Bridge is and its age?

roadhound

Incidentally, the I-55 bridge was built in the late 1940's to replace the board roadway wings on the Harahan Railroad Bridge - built in 1916.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Alex,

Don't I recall you posting some shots of the Harahan Bridge? Where are those? What was the neme of the post?

Keep the Show on the Road!

Full story here:

The Associated Press

UPDATE: I-40 bridge is re-opened. I sort of figured that would be the case:

I-40 bridge over Mississippi River at Memphis reopens after construction workers closed it, Monday after an engineer discovered a bridge pier had settled 3½ inches overnight.

Full story @: http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6987526

To answer the post on the Harahan bridge - go to my web site @ http://www.freewebs.com/yankeetraveller/index.htm and click on Memphis Day Trips. Then scroll down to Memphis-Arkansas Speedway & US 70, etc, Alignment - the pictures of the bridge are more showing whats left of the plank road they put on the side of the bridge in 1926. However, there is a link at the end that will take you to a bridge link.

It's a cantilevered through truss bridge.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Edited by hester_nec