American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

American Road Garage - A Busy Week August 23, 2007

This place is getting so busy, a guy can hardly catch a nap!

There was a lot of action at the American Road Garage in the past week. We got a call from FlGirl who is driving from Jacksonville, Florida to Portland, Oregon. She wanted to optimize her sight seeing in the Rockies and not run out of petrol along the way. Becky stepped up to bat and gave her advice right from headquarters in her corner office, with the view windows, the plush carpet, 12 button intercom, and designer desk. Becky has disclaimed such luxury but down at the garage we all still wonder. USRoadman came by and added some of his excellent insights, then Dave Reese, fresh from his sea voyage, recommended spending time in and around Colorado Springs, Pikes Peak, etc.

Kevin was telling us about how he, his wife , and two dogs crossed the high passes of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California, along pioneer roads and over Carson Pass and Luther Pass on the way to Reno for Hot Summer Nights. Keep said that Luther Pass was the route of the first east bound run of the Pony Express. Kevin and crew were definitely not on ponies! Read about his travel rig in the RV forum here

Jack and Kevin parked their delux, well appointed, and spacious RV’s down on the lower island and invited the gang to take a tour. Brownwho63 took a look around but needed more thinking about whether it was his cup of tea. DennyG was thinking that cooking in an RV would cut into his “best burger on Route 66” quest, and Roadmaven was comparing a 36 foot rig to a teardrop trailer. Keep was thinking it might be the way to go if he does a USA tour this fall or next spring

Kevin was like a kid in a candy shop, sampling the goodies in half a dozen forums. He got a nice reply from Russ L on the pleasures of US 6. Russ is the world authority on the subject of the longest US numbered highway, and President of the US 6 association. Do we have luminaries here, or what!!?

Bucfan completed another Wisconsin chapter for his site, a very professional looking presentation with lots of good tips on food and sights.

After talking up teardrops, Roadmaven was out front working up another group cruise and trying out his new digital camera. The man is an authority on diners, and now has the means to photograph every sunnysideup egg in the Midwest. Mobilene was getting ready to go on the proposed road cruise.

Jennifer and DennyG are still trying to configure the optimum GPS, Jack is bragging up the RV lifestyle, He has a good answer for every doubt. Speaking of DennyG, he is planning a trip along sections of the Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean auto trail over Labor day, and Mobilene is laying out the route.

Hester_nec and Keep are dragging out vintage maps and guides to help anyone who needs them.

Roadhound has delivered chapter’s two and three of his Lincoln Highway masterpiece. He thought better of climbing the fence at the Dugway Proving Grounds to follow the Lincoln Highway through the military base when he read the Keep Out sign, "Live Ammo Authorized. " Lots of us admire his photography skills. DennyG had the perfect comment.. He was going to paste one on his windshield to look at when it is too icy to drive. If you have any interest in the Lincoln, or love the beauty of the west, take a look at Roadhound’s posts.

Mobilene is planning more trips, one this time along US31 in Indiana.

Our British connection, Gherkintrude checked in in advance of another US visit, this time to Ohio. That girl is a regular American Road ambassador! She lives near Liverpool in the Mother Country, but seems to get over here to driv ethe old roads. Her only complaint is that we drive on the wrong side of the road!

There was a long discussion about the merits of In-n-Out burgers and the like. RoadDog drooled all over his In-N -Out T Shirt. Seems Kevin packs a supply of In-n-Out burgers when he visits family outside the company’s territory. I would hate to try and get 24 cheeseburges through airport security...but I suppose he drives!

Kevin, Mobilene, Hester_nec, and roadmaven all had fond recollections of tunnels on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Keep mentioned that the key to tunnel safety is to honk your horn from start to end. That is what he does and everybody waves...at least he thinks they are waving...it s kind of dark in most tunnels.

Don't hesitate to add or elaborate as Keep has house guests and has had to be brief this week!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Thanks for the update "Keep",

I must say that the Ocean Cruise is a mighty fine alternative to the Road Cruise. Great food, movies under the stars, excellent service, lots of rum, fine shows, and beaches. Pretty nice, and no road rage either.

This will be a stay at home weekend with a choral concert tomorrow night, as our men's chorus completes our 17th summer performing with the Allentown Band, the nation's oldest civilian concert band which made its first documented performance July 4, 1828. The schedule even keeps me from attending the Wheels of Time Hot Rod show in Macungie PA.

Hope all the road travelers have safe trips, good weather, and good stories and photos to share!

Thanks for the update "Keep",

I must say that the Ocean Cruise is a mighty fine alternative to the Road Cruise. Great food, movies under the stars, excellent service, lots of rum, fine shows, and beaches. Pretty nice, and no road rage either.

This will be a stay at home weekend with a choral concert tomorrow night, as our men's chorus completes our 17th summer performing with the Allentown Band, the nation's oldest civilian concert band which made its first documented performance July 4, 1828. The schedule even keeps me from attending the Wheels of Time Hot Rod show in Macungie PA.

Hope all the road travelers have safe trips, good weather, and good stories and photos to share!

Dave,

It is the view here at the garage that at least a few cruise photos and descriptions can be presented at the garage, and still be "on topic.". Are you planning to at least share a little?

To keep it on topic, refer to the sea roads or highways of the sea! :D

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave,

It is the view here at the garage that at least a few cruise photos and descriptions can be presented at the garage, and still be "on topic.". Are you planning to at least share a little?

To keep it on topic, refer to the sea roads or highways of the sea! :D

Keep the Show on the Road

Since these photos strictly are not from the theme of the American Road, I have posted a few photos at Caribbean Princess Cruise. You can view them individually or via a slide show.

I hope you enjoy.

Since these photos strictly are not from the theme of the American Road, I have posted a few photos at Caribbean Princess Cruise. You can view them individually or via a slide show.

I hope you enjoy.

Looks fun, colorful, and interesting! And I think I saw a "unique" bus, so it clearly was "on topic."

Thanks Dave for sharing with us land lubers.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Some very nice pictures. I assume you intentionally left it to the reader to decide whether your caption of "ample sight seeing opportunities" referred to ample opportunities to see sights or opportunities to see ample sights. :rolleyes:

I like to allow the interpretation to the reader as they view the perfect cruise babe who definitely enjoyed being seen... ;)