American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lincoln Highway In Ohio

We've been waiting for ages but our trip is getting near enough that I can almost taste it. (ok, it's more like 57 days away, but I've been planning since January) I'm curious if anyone has any hints about places to see and places to eat along the Lincoln Highway between Pittsburgh and Ashland, OH. I'm going out to meet a friend that lives there and wanted to take that route. Thanks! :)

I'm curious if anyone has any hints about places to see and places to eat along the Lincoln Highway between Pittsburgh and Ashland, OH.

You bet. For starters, there's the big teapot in Chester, WV. In Ohio there is the "Point of Beginning", some nice brick sections of the old road, a bunch of classic cars in Canton, and, near your end point, the Carousel in Mansfield. Eat at the 1955 Steel Trolley Diner in Lisbon and/or the 1837 Spread Eagle Tavern in Hanoverton. There's plenty more.

Ohio is blessed not only with the Lincoln Highway but with Michael Buettner to research and document it. Printed or CD copies of his excellent guide can be purchased here and it's online free here. It's not a guide but the journal of my own 2005 drive over the LH in Ohio is here.

I'll do my best to answer more specific questions as the count down proceeds.

I'm not sure if Bucyrus is between Ashland and Pittsburgh, but the Eric Grohe mural on the side of the building downtown is something to behold.

Embarrassingly, I must confess to never seeing this mural although I have seen Grohe's work elsewhere (e.g., Massillon, Steubenville). Very cool! Bucyrus is about 35 miles west of Ashland but, since Gherkintrude is visiting someone in Ashland, they might be looking for sights in the area. The Carousel District I mentioned in Mansfield isn't quite on the Pittsburgh-Ashland route, either.

• 1 month later...