American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Abandoned Penn Turnpike Sections

darthfadar

Again, as a kid, I got the opportunity to travel with my dad from upstate NY into Pennsylvania. I was impressed with the tunnels that the Turnpike traveled through. Some of these are now abandoned.

Now, I know I traveled through some of these tunnels & remember water seeping through the ceiling tiles. My imagination would let me believe that a lake full of water was about to break through any time, I prayed we'd make through before the water rushed down...

Anyway, I have found a few websites about abandoned portions of the Turnpike, including some tunnels.

The Turnpike is not exactly a classic American road. But, it was built as a toll road way before the 1956 Interstate Act.

I hope you enjoy this website, as much as I have.

http://www.pahighways.com/toll/abandonedturnpike.html

I've only driven the PA Turnpike twice, and both times it was in a driving snowstorm. So I don't have fond memories of the Turnpike.

But both of those trips were in the 1980s, well after this bypass went in. I've stumbled across this site before in my travels but it's great to look at the photos again.

jim

My family made several trips between Maine and the Dayton, OH, area from 1948 to 1952. I remember the anticipation, as only a 10, 11, 12 year old can have, not for the next Mickey D or Burger King around the corner, for there were none of these, but for that marvel, the George Washington Bridge and the greatest marvel, the Pennsy!!! We drove it from Harrisburg to New Stanton and I can remember looking forward to the long tunnels. Sure, we had a "turnpike" in southern Maine, where we came from, but it sure didn't have any tunnels like on the Pennsy - the Maine Turnpike doesn't have any tunnels at all.

I recently purchased, on ebay. "The Pennsylvania Turnpike - A History" by Dan Cupper. This excellent work covers in depth the evolution of the road, from it's conception to the 1990's, plus early history of the route itself. After an absence of many years, I had occasion to drive it myself around 1990, on my way out to visit my daughter in eastern Ohio. I thought to myself, something's missing here. I remembered 7 tunnels, but there were only 4 left. I never really dug into it, until recently I came across the link you posted - and found even more in Cuppers book. There is a copy of this book currently on ebay @ http://cgi.ebay.com/Pennsylvania-Turnpike-...VQQcmdZViewItem

or you can go to amazon.com.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Again, as a kid, I got the opportunity to travel with my dad from upstate NY into Pennsylvania. I was impressed with the tunnels that the Turnpike traveled through. Some of these are now abandoned.

Now, I know I traveled through some of these tunnels & remember water seeping through the ceiling tiles. My imagination would let me believe that a lake full of water was about to break through any time, I prayed we'd make through before the water rushed down...

Anyway, I have found a few websites about abandoned portions of the Turnpike, including some tunnels.

The Turnpike is not exactly a classic American road. But, it was built as a toll road way before the 1956 Interstate Act.

I hope you enjoy this website, as much as I have.

http://www.pahighways.com/toll/abandonedturnpike.html

Kevin,

Didn't your Dad tell you....if you honk your horn in a tunnel, the echo ensures safe passage. I thought everyone knew that! The more honking the better!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Brian Butko's got some very cool shots from an excursion to both the Rays Hill and Sideling Hill Tunnels on his web site here: Ghost Tunnels

Regardless of whether it's an old railroad bed, two-lane road, tunnel, or even an old abandoned interstate alignment such as that on I-44 west of Rolla, MO, there is something about the mystique of an abandoned route that gets the juices flowing. Perhaps it's all the ghosts of travels past who are still there.....anyone know what I mean, or am I just crazy?

Regardless of whether it's an old railroad bed, two-lane road, tunnel, or even an old abandoned interstate alignment such as that on I-44 west of Rolla, MO, there is something about the mystique of an abandoned route that gets the juices flowing. Perhaps it's all the ghosts of travels past who are still there.....anyone know what I mean, or am I just crazy?

I've never been on I-44 west of Rolla but I get exactly what you mean. If your crazy then I am too.

Great thread, thanks for kicking it off Kevin.

Roadhound

I've never been on I-44 west of Rolla but I get exactly what you mean. If your crazy then I am too.

Great thread, thanks for kicking it off Kevin.

Roadhound

It's really fascinating, even though MODOT dug up the pavement and all that's left is some slightly elevated land where the pavement was. It's in the area where John's Modern Cabins and Vernelle's Motel are. Vernelle's has pretty well be left to whither on the vine. If you ever find yourself going there to check out John's, BEWARE. Local police stake out in the area frequently and will pull you over to see what you're doing in the area. It happened to me once when we were going to John's a couple years ago. The officer asked if we were looking for the cabins, and upon telling him we were, they were very cordial.

It happened to me once when we were going to John's a couple years ago. The officer asked if we were looking for the cabins, and upon telling him we were, they were very cordial.

There is a participant on a Route 66 list who offers vehicle window stickers showing membership & interest in 66. These attach on the glass inside a vehicle

I wonder if the was an American Road type sticker available, if this would help when we are on the road less traveled?

I'd get a couple of these, if these are in either black or white & placed on the exterior of my vehicles. I'd place the white on the tinted window of my cars & the black on the rear or side of my motorhome which doesn't have a rear window.

Kevin

• 3 months later...

Back in 1975, I drove the West Virginia Turnpike and I distinctly remember two tunnels there. Of course, this was when it was still two lanes:) I suspect a major realignment when it went to four lanes.