American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Place To Eat When On A Roadtrip

darthfadar

I'd like to share that this is a great rustic place for any meal, Heaven On Earth Restaurant

703 Quines Creek in Azalea, Oregon. The entry area has many huge, tasteful bake goods. The prepared meals are pretty darn good. It's right off the superslab but Quines Creek may be part of Hwy 99.

http://heavenonearthrestaurant.com/

Either way, this is a one-of-a-kind place to dine. If this topic 'takes off' I'll add other places I've been.

Kevin

I'd like to share that this is a great rustic place for any meal, Heaven On Earth Restaurant

703 Quines Creek in Azalea, Oregon. The entry area has many huge, tasteful bake goods. The prepared meals are pretty darn good. It's right off the superslab but Quines Creek may be part of Hwy 99.

http://heavenonearthrestaurant.com/

Either way, this is a one-of-a-kind place to dine. If this topic 'takes off' I'll add other places I've been.

Kevin

This could end up being a lengthy thread. To me, "dining" means anytime, anywhere, any kind of food that we stop for. Just some random thoughts in no particular order:

Illinois Route 66:

Lucca's - Bloomington, IL - Family-owned and operated business. Everything is good.

Riviera Restaurant - Gardner, IL - Decent road spagetti

Cozy Dog - Springfield, IL - Really like their chili

Anchor Bar - Carlinville, IL - Same

Luna - Mitchell, IL - Great buffalo wings; at least they were a coupla years ago

Missouri Route 66:

Circle N Drive In - Bourbon - Unique, in that you can get a homemade plate lunch special.

Maid Rite - Rolla - Good stuff.

Alex Pizza Palace - Rolla - 7th & Pine. Best pizza I've ever tasted.

Oklahoma 66:

Main Street Diner (I think) - Chelsea - Daily homemade specials. Recommend a bowl of beans.

Arizona 66:

Joe and Aggie's - Holbrook - Mexican food beyond comparison

There are more on 66 and other highways I may have time to mention later but right now I'm off to begin my daily charcoal grilling of some kind of road kill. I prefer the Weber kettle with Kingsford, regular or mesquite, (with plenty of the Blue Beast) over anything else I've used.

What do all you other roadies use? Any special grilling tips? (I'm thinking this is really not too off-topic because we frequently carry along a Weber Smokey Joe for use on our road trips.)....Bliss