American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Fl To Oregon...need Advice!

FLgal81

:D Hi there…

I will be driving from Jacksonville, FL to Portland, OR at the beginning of Sept. I am going to give myself 7 days to get out there and have figured that traveling about 600-650 miles a day would get me there in 5 (about 3000 miles). Here’s the deal: I need to be out there within a week (this trip is the way for me to get my car to Portland along with myself), but I want to sightsee the Rockies and westward (FL to CO is all bizness!). I am a 25 yr old female who will be all by her lonesome.

I am thinking about several routes:

North to Memphis, TN. West on I-40 to Las Vegas, NM. North on I-25 to Denver.

OR

North to St. Louis through TN and KY and West on 70 into Denver.

OR

I could bypass Denver all together and take I-80 West.

This is the point where I really want to soak it in and take my time. I’m a FL girl and have traveled both coasts and Southern Utah, NM and AZ, but I still have never crossed the Rockies. Where is the best place to do this scenery-wise? I was thinking highway 34 from Denver through Rocky Mountain National Park to Salt Lake City to I-84 would be cool. How scenic is this? Is 34 a rough road? Are there better routes that may be more scenic through the Rockies (i.e. Wyoming, I-70 in Utah)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!

First & foremost, :welcome: My experiences from a scenery viewpoint are mainly from the midwest. However, we've got a lot of folks experienced in the northwest, some of who live out that way now. Oh Dave!

First & foremost, :welcome: My experiences from a scenery viewpoint are mainly from the midwest. However, we've got a lot of folks experienced in the northwest, some of who live out that way now. Oh Dave!

I'm thinking, I'm thinking. This is an awesome responsibility. I'm feeling the pressure.

I’ll need to do a little recollecting first. But something is coming to me. It may take a day.

In the meantime, Keep the Show on the Road!

Welcome to American Road magazine's Forum! We're thrilled to have you join our great community of road trip enthusiasts.

You pose a very difficult question. The choice along I-40 traces much of US Route 66. If you've never traveled it - you must. It should probably be required of every US citizen! If you are interested, I (or any of our other members) would be happy to make recommendations regarding places to visit along the way).

If you end up going through Denver and into Salt Lake City and take I-84, I believe (if memory serves) there was a long stretch without services. Some beautiful stretches, very scenic. But, every time we traveled through there - we hit road construction. And, it wasn't your 'typical' road construction. We were actually driving in dirt - Interstate travel slowed to a crawl on a very curvy stretch of road. (This was a few years back -- but, it might be worth checking the state DOT to see what routes have a lot of construction. This might also help you narrow down your choices)

There are a number of routes you could go - each offering different experiences. I know our Forum members will give you great suggestions.

Dream well and drive safely on the American Road!

Becky Repp

General Manager

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

Let’s eliminate I 80 right off the bat. Unless you are trying to follow the Lincoln Highway (you aren’t), I80 offers lots of flat sagebrush land most of the way. You have to go far north, up to the Grand Teton, to get spectacular stuff.

As a Florida girl, I figure you want to see mountains tall, canyons deep, trees green, ranches rolling, and rocks red. If that’s right, then let me look at the other choices. But if you like sagebrush for hundreds of miles, we can discuss I 80 some more.

You get to see lots of mountains almost any way you go through the Rockies in Colorado. And the scenery is all beautiful.

Certainly your suggested route via US34 and US40 is a good choice. What I think it lacks is hang time. You will be on the plains, and back on the flat pretty fast, and once you reach Craig on the west there isn’t a lot to celebrate between there and SLC. But you will certainly see some wide open spaces.

The main stop along that route once you leave the Rockies is Dinosaur National Monument The quarry visitors center is a great stop and very interesting.....but sadly closed for repairs until further notice. That removes a lot of interest.

On the other hand, you might pick a route that gives you a variety of mountain, western ranch, mining towns, forest, and red rock experiences.

Since coming in via Las Vegas NM is one of your options, let me suggest you look at some alternatives.

Start by looking at the map HERE. I marked out some alternates. They have what I'll call long hang time. They are in interesting country much of the way. Not mile upon mile of just one type of western scenery. Both of the alternatives take you through high Colorado Mountains, mining towns and ranch country. And I like going via Moab because of the Arches NP and because Moab is a fun place for a 25 year old.

The version further north is probably the preferred, because you are in a bit of a hurry and it is faster. I would do the Leadville option, but Aspen is always a winner, too.

Both choices bypass Denver but give you enough mountain scenery to rave about.

Let me know your thoughts and let’s also hear from some others.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Thanks so much for the responses…sorry it has taken me so long to reply! I thought I would get an email saying I had responses, but I didn’t, so I finally checked back and there they were!:) Thank you for the advice Becky…I’ll certainly check out construction before I head out. My concern with I-40 through the Southern states into New Mexico is all this flooding from storms…I’ll have to do a little more research but with all these hurricanes picking up (and believe me, I know a thing or two about hurricanes living on the coast for 25 years), I don’t want to get into a situation where roads are flooded. What part of I-84 lacked services? Through Utah?

Thanks so much for the map, Show on the Road…you are right, I want to see mountains tall, canyons deep, trees green, ranches rolling, and rocks red I-80 is certainly out based on your description. I guess I was thinking I’d really like to go to Rocky Mountain National Park for some reason…Someone (fellow Floridian) told me it was really beautiful and a must-see. I was thinking I could take 34 through the park and then head back down to I-70

You say 34 and 40 lacks hang time…do you mean there aren’t many places to stop? I’m not needing a lot of places to stop so much as some beautiful driving scenery, maybe some overlooks to take pics and a really great park or two (such as Rocky Mountain or even Arches or Canyonlands)…can’t do too much in these as I’m comfortable going on long hikes by myself. I’m thinking I could driving into Denver, take a short bypass on 34 through Rocky Mountain National Park, make my way back to I-70, stop at Arches/Canyonlands, and then head north to Salt Lake City. But would you say your route through Aspen or Leadville would be more scenic than 34 through the park? I definitely think the lower road your offered would be great but probably would not fit into my time frame.

Also, has anyone ever traveled I-70 into CO through Kansas? I’ve heard it can be a lot of flat driving through Kansas, but that may be the same going through OK and TX. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the advice! Keep it coming!!:)

Jess

OK, here’s the new and improved plan...just kidding, but let me try it out on you. This routing was produced primarily by Streets and Trips so I take no credit or blame. It takes six days to Portland via this route driving 8 to 5 each day, at their "average" speeds, with an hour for fuel and food stops. So you can linger anywhere you like for the equivalent of a day.

If you drive faster than average, or drive longer, you have more slack,. But unless you know your driving style, long days can kill you. And I do mean kill you. Falling asleep at the wheel can spoil a road trip permanently. The most common accident I note in the big sky west is the one-car-overturned-in-a-ditch variety.

Here is te route to Colorado

Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Mobile, Jackson, Shreveport, Dallas, Amarillo, Pueblo.

You reach Pueblo at 1PM on the fourth day on the road. Your objective is to include both Rocky Mountain National Park and Arches in your visit.

At Pueblo you have a decision to make.

1. Continue north on I25 and take the route I think you are looking at via 470 (skirts Denver on the southwest), I70, 40 north via Berthoud Pass, and then 34 into RMNP. Excellent! 52 hours total drive time to Portland

2. You turn west at Pueblo and take the road through Leadville. That adds at least 2 hours to your drive time. If it were me, I would do it, and still take 40 over Berthoud Pass. BUT, YOU ARE NOT ME, you do not prefer the small rural two lane roads through back country, or the “discovery” of some obscure towns and villages no one ever heard of.

So, go for alternate 1. See the RMN Park, go over a famous pass, and visit the Arches. Route 1 is premo, you can’t lose, and if you miss the old road thorough Burgsville, you will never know it anyway.

I want to add something concerning hiking at the Arches. I don’t think a 25 year old woman has to worry much at the Arches about hiking (but I’m not a 25 year old woman, either). Do one of the big arches and you will always be in sight of several families and hikers. My wife and I were there a couple of years ago. It wasn’t over run with people, but it wasn’t quiet either.

I guess it is obvious that you are traveling in a busy week. I would suggest that you make reservations at least a day ahead if you are staying in motels. The advantage is that you can travel later in the day if you need to and be confident of a place. If you don’t have reservations, you will start watching your watch at about 2:30 PM and hoping there is a place when you get to your destination. That will be important in the wide open west where it may be a couple of hours between nice stops. And for places like Moab, if you want to stay there, reserve now. Check cancellation policy. I book where I can cancel at least as late as 4PM if I must.

You could even reserve all your stops now, and adjust via laptop and WiFi (or telephone) if your plans change. (But it’s not like you will have to sleep in your car anyway. Its like all the middle price places will be gone and you will have to go way up or down the price scale.)

Hey Show,

Thanks again! You are pretty awesome for getting me all this info Its not that I DON’T want to explore backcountry roads…I actually LOVE exploring backcountry roads. My issue is that I HAVE to be in Portland by COB on 9/13. So, I don’t want to get lost on some hairpin mountain pass, you know? I have absolutely no idea how the roads are out there, so I maybe completely off base thinking backcountry roads=scary hairpin mountain passes. I guess the thing is that I would prefer mountainous scenery and overlooks as opposed to small mountain towns…I’m more into the natural scenery than quaint towns (which are still very cool, but so not on the priority list).

Oh, BTW, I typically drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit and shouldn’t have a problem driving all day long…as long as I can get out and stretch my legs a few times (i.e. hiking in Arches). Why do you say it will be busy? Weekend after labor day?

Let me know if you have any more advice. Again, thank you SO much. You have been a great help.

Jessica

I was thinking “early September” as the week before Labor Day which is really busy. But I wouldn’t assume that things will get suddenly quiet the next weekend. I think my reservation advice holds true. The kids go back to school and those of use who are chronologically advantaged hit the road.

My wife and I travel the west a good bit, and I never liked to make reservations....kind of tied me down and cramped my style. But lately I have liked even less driving an extra two hours, and missing the location I wanted to stay, because there were no rooms available we would stay in.

The motels seem to be busier this summer than past summers. The only explanation I have is that maybe some people are not driving their RV’s and are staying in motels. No matter the reason, it is easier to make a reservation and cancel it properly than it is to stay in Podunk when you wanted to stay in Moab. Nuf said.

Let us know if we can provide more advice....we are big on advice giving!

BTW, there is spectacular scenery further west also, but your focus was Colorado so we were mum about it...not to knock Colorado

Thanks again for the info! I'm thinking once I commit to a route, I will pick some major towns and find a hotel chain. I was planning on getting AAA before I left just in case I break down and need the addtl. discount at hotels. Yeah, I need to be there by the 13th, so I was planning on leaving the 7th...but I'm thinking I may need to leave the 5th or the 6th.

What is this spectacular scenery west of CO you speak of? I picked CO mainly because I've never really seen the Rockies. I've been to S. Utah, NM and Arizona, so I'm not sure if thats what you are talking about. Any good advice on the trek through Idaho into Portland? Part of the reason I am moving to Portland is to have a new "starting point" for adventure so I don't have to hit everything on the way. The thing with the Rockies is that they are quite a ways away from Oregon...I plan on spending weekend after weekend touring N. CA, Washington, Wyoming, Montana, etc...

You just changed the rules! You are adding days to your trip! That is a healthy sign that you have road travel in the blood! But it might also suggest a different set of choices. However I guess since you are going to live in Oregon, you might as well spend whatever extra time you have in Colorado on this trip. You won’t have any problem finding ways to spend more time.

One tiny suggestion you might enjoy if you head for Moab on I70, is to take Utah State 128 along the Colorado River to Moab. Sheila (my wife) and I enjoyed the western setting, the River, and the canyons. You take exit 212 off I70 onto 6 and then onto 128.

There are several places in the Northwest where I think the mountain scenery equals Colorado. What Colorado has as a special virtue is the “parks” which are the huge open meadows and spaces at high altitude with the mountain backdrops. In the spring you would go crazy looking at flowers, and at yellow aspen in the Fall. And I like the mining history and artifacts.

The West and Northwest have some spectacular mountains, many of volcanic origin. No one who spends time in the Three Sisters area in Central Oregon west of Bend will regret they aren’t in the Rockies. And they are at your back door in Portland...3 hours away.

And believe me, when you see Mt Hood on a clear day out your window in Portland or up close and personal, you are not going to pine for Colorado. And a ride and a hike along the shoulder of Mt Rainer in Mt. Rainier National Park in the Fall will make Colorado recede to just a pleasant memory. So fill up on the beauty of Colorado, because the best is yet to come.

Rain1.jpg

Rain2.jpg

Rain3.jpg

Mt Rainer Last Fall

Lets see, did I mention the Sawtooth Range in Idaho, Mt Shasta in California, Crater Lake...there will be all the mountains you can handle. And you have the fantastic Sierra Nevada in California on a long weekend.

Then you have the Oregon Coast. Small seaside towns with cabins on the beach, waves breaking almost at the dining room window, storms, and glorious sunsets. And when you get tired of majestic mountains and stunning seashores, head for the high desert and follow in the tracks of pioneer wagon trains, and sleep in desert hotels right out of Zane Grey.

And I haven’t mentioned the Columbia River, windsurfers and the waterfalls, the Wallows, the Deschutes River...on and on.

I believe there is beauty wherever you are, but I have lived in four western states, and it is hard to imagine a greater variety. And Portland is a good base. As cities go, a lovely one. It gets less rain than Seattle, puts you in the heart of everything, and is prospering.

You are getting here at a good time. Fall is on its way, with the vivid reds and yellows on the Cascade passes and the crisp touch of Jack Front in the air. What a fortunate person you are!!

I don't want to go one forever....All of us here will give you more roads to follow and places to enjoy than you can see in ten years.

I'm so glad to see that you're getting the help you sought on American Road's Forum!

I'll put in a few cents worth -- you may certainly take it or leave it.

Re: Arches -- they have some great hikes that are led by Rangers. I highly recommend them. You get to learn about some of the different types of arches and rock formations -- and they take you to some unique spots that you might not otherwise see. Some words of wisdom -- Pack water and food to take in the park. A water bottle that attaches to a waist band and a pack w/ some high protein snacks served us quite well during our trip to Arches. There aren't too many services -- and when your out hiking -- there are NONE.

I'm trying to recall the details of I-84. I think it was difficult to find services in Utah and in Oregon. Construction was terrible when we were thru -- and it seemed that any buildings that were around were pretty much closed (perhaps it had to do with the construction).

Anyway, re: weather on the road. That is definitely a concern. You might check out the link below to find out problems along your final route: http://www.weather.com/activities/driving/...ghway%20weather

One word about Kansas - make sure it isn't tornado season. The last time we were thru Kansas it was like being transported into the movie The Wizard of Oz. We had Tornado warnings and couldn't make it to our hotel because all the roads were flooded -- even the Interstate was closed due to flooding. The morning after the storm many of the two-lane highways remained flooded. I recall how badly I felt for the cow that we passed that morning. she was standing more than knee deep in a pool of water - munching on the leaves of a tree!

KTSOTR is right about the Pacific Northwest. You'll have the time of your life!

Oh - one more thing -- if you would like to get e-mails when there are new posts under various headings on the Forum there is a way to do it. You'll find instructions under Technical Help. If you can't find them or still have difficulty let one of the Moderators or Pat and Jennifer know. We're all happy to help!

Gotta get back to work. We've got to get the next issue out!

Best,

Becky Repp

Thanks again for all the great advice! You have no idea how excited I am for this trip! Actually, Show, the reason I am moving to OR is I took a short 2 day trip by myself to Portland in July in between jobs, just to get away. I rented a car at the airport and drove down the Columbia river scenic road and saw/hiked the waterfalls along the way. After that, I drove to Astoria and drove halfway down the coast to Yachats and came into Eugene and back up to Portland. All in 2 days. I didn’t want to leave, so when I got back to FL, I decided to uproot my life and start a new one on the west coast…I got accepted to PSU’s MBA program and start in a few weeks. Its crazy and will miss Florida and my family so much, but the advice given here has only reinforced the idea that there is so much adventure to be had out here. Growing up in Florida, I’ve missed out on so much hiking, camping, rock climbing and the change of seasons. So, I really appreciate all the advice and I believe that I will become a fixture on this website as I plan to road trip as much as possible. BTW, the pics of Mt. Rainer are so beautiful…that’s actually one place very high on my to-do list…what month were those pics taken?

Betsy, I looked around and it seems tornado season is March through June, so I should be good there. I’ll probably take the low road suggested through Texas and NM as driving through the heart of Tornado Alley at ANY time scares the dickens out of me! I guess I’ve seen the movie Twister too many times

Question…should I keep a reserve of gas on hand just in case I find myself on one of those long stretches without services? Not sure if this is safe and/or common practice…just an idea. I did buy a recent Michelin map of the states and will look into exits frequency especially through Utah and OR.

Thanks again!

Jess

Question…should I keep a reserve of gas on hand just in case I find myself on one of those long stretches without services? Not sure if this is safe and/or common practice…just an idea. I did buy a recent Michelin map of the states and will look into exits frequency especially through Utah and OR.

Thanks again!

Jess

Jess,

I have driven the roads you will drive once you leave Denver. Because you are concerned, refill when you get to a quarter tank. Once or twice you might go 60 miles between stations. That’s all. This really isn't the outback. I would be more concerned that if you got down to the warning light, you might pay 25 cents more per gallon than you need to because you got worried!

I took those Rainier photos last October 10 or 12 on the way back from a Montana trip.

You have lots of fun in store, and you can add rock climbing at Smith Rocks in Central Oregon, right after you hike around some nice alpine lakes in the cascades. Then when the snow falls its up to Timberline and skiing..or skiing lessons. Or to Mt Bachelor. Then over to Yachats and the cabins at Rock Park. You missed the guitar player at LeSuers, but the Adobe has waterside tables.

Good wishes on your studies. An MBA is a wise move. I did that, and it opened many doors. I didn't finish my doctorial dissertation or you would have to refer to me as Show, PhD! :D

Been a bit behind on reading posts but figured I'd give my 2 cents if it's not too late.

First on Kansas (or Nebraska for that matter). I think most people find these states boring because they insist on taking I-70 or I-80 across them. I think George Stewart really got it right in his book US 40 - Cross Section of the United States of America. Roads either dominate the landscape, are in harmony with the landscape, or are dominated by the landscape. Roads in harmony with the landscape are by far the most enjoyable to drive. Interstates dominate the landscape they cross, causing you to primarily see the long, flat, straight pavement rather than the landscape traversed. The older two-lane roads in rural America tend to be in harmony with the land, and I think really provide a very different perspective of the country you're crossing. I personnally would recommend US 24, US 36, US 6, or US 34 over the Interstates if you think there's any way you can swing it. Speed limits are typically 65 (not too much lower than the Interstate), except of course through towns, and there is a lot less traffic. (US 30 and old US 40 are also really nice rides, but haven't been improved as much as the others.) I've never had any real weather problems in Kansas or Nebraska, but weather is of course unpredictable (actually I've been caught in far worse weather in Texas, but while on business trips, not roadtrips).

Concerning Rocky Mountain National Park, it is a pretty neat drive, mostly because of the amount of time you spend well above the tree-line. Personally, I'd traverse the Park from east to west (since US 34 cuts all of the way through it), rather than taking US 40 up to the west entrance, going up to the top and turning around. (I find US 6 over Loveland Pass far more exhillarating than US 40 over Berthould Pass, but if you take US 34 through the Park, you'll miss them both anyway, unless you decide to be 'Queen of the Mountain Passes' by taking US 34 west to US 40 east (which is mostly south through here) to I-70 west to US 6 west, in which case you'd hit them all and can decide for yourself which one you think is the most fun.) Whether you take US 36 or US 34 to Estes Park doesn't really matter too much. US 36 is more direct and I'm sure faster, but US 34 has less traffic. Be sure you dress appropriately on the day you go through the Park. I was there in August both last year and the year before, and both times the temperature was in the 30s with 20-30 mph winds at the top of the mountain (with a snowstorm last year and a beautiful sunny day the year before, although it was like 80 in Denver both times). Bring a good jacket and wear long pants or you'll probably find that it's too cold to walk around up top for very long.

BTW, I agree with the previous post about not doing I-80 across Wyoming. If you were going to take US 14 or US 16 through the northern part of the state, especially through the Bighorn Mountains (which I think are my favorite) and through Yellowstone / Grand Teton, I'd say go for it (although it would add a lot of time), but otherwise I think I'd do Colorado instead.

As mentioned in an earlier post, Moab and the ride along the Colorado River (UT-128) to get there is definitely worth it.

In Idaho, I-84 is pretty boring, but there aren't a lot of other options. US-30 is a bit nicer (when it's not on I-84), but slower. I think I liked US 26 / US 20 better, but it is really desolate (not quite US 6 between Ely and Tonopah in Nevada, but pretty close). It's a pretty unusual landscape; the mountains are always visible but you never get to go into them. I also though Craters of the Moon National Monument was kind of cool. Overall though it just seems like the ride will never end. (Northern Idaho, such as US 12, is beautiful, but unfortunately way out of your way.)

Across Oregon, I've done US 20, US 26, and US 30 / I-84. Of the 3, US 26 was definitely my favorite. It crosses quite a few different landscapes. US 30 / I-84 was probably my second favorite.

On your gas question, I personally always try to refill whenever I'm between a half and quarter of a tank since on the non-Interstates you can go 60 or more miles without seeing an open gas station, especially if it's a Sunday or during off-hours, when stations in the small towns often are closed. With that rule, I've never run out of gas, and only been really concerned a handful of times in 20 years of roadtrips.

usroadman,

That is excellent advice! I agree. You know your roads! I wish you had noticed this thread earlier because you are a big help.

When we started this thread FlGirl had seven days, max. She seems to be thinking about giving herself more time.

If she stays with 7 days, I think she is on the freeways through Idaho and Oregon. If she has more time, then she could add some two lane roads. Southern Idaho has more history than raw beauty, but I am not knocking it. If you know where to look, its there...but not at 70mph.

In Oregon you have a different situation. If you stay on the freeway the scenery will be OK to nice between Boise and Pendleton, then I dread the section between Pendleton and about Arlington as dull. But heading west down the Columbia River Gorge from about The Dalles is right up there among the most beautiful freeway drives in America. I rank it above US26, even though I love the two lanes. If she takes segments of the Historic Columbia River Highway I think it will surpass US26.

Having said that, I agree with you that US26 is the preferred two lane route, and if she has the time, it might be her best choice, because she can easily reach the Columbia River Gorge from her base in Portland, but may not be as likely to drive through John Day any other time. And I think she mentioned she has seen some of the Gorge already.

US26 will take her through some lovely farm and mountain country, and through river canyons with lovely colored walls. She may be tempted to go wading in the river at this time of year, it will look so inviting. If time permits she could take the side road just past Mitchell into the Painted Hills. I think they are prettier than the Painted Desert in Arizona, but much smaller in scale, and no petrified trees! But the colors are beautiful

Then she climbs into the Ochocos, with their vast and beautiful Ponderosa Pine forests, then down to the semi western town of Prineville, with its classic courthouse. If she stays on 26 into Portland, she will cross the Warm Springs Reservation, spot some fly fishers on the Deschutes River, climb out of the Deschutes River Canyon, and after crossing the Agency Plains, enter the forest on her way toward the majestic Mt Hood. NOTE: Traffic headed west on a Sunday afternoon/ evening can be annoying as folks are headed home to Portland after a weekend in Central Oregon.

At the risk of offending everyone, I have driven the west for over 50 years and never run out of gas. And I don’t obsess about it. A couple of weeks ago I was driving US 20 across eastern Oregon and using more gas than on a straight line because I was taking side trips to the old alignment. I did get down to a calculated 15 miles left at one point, which is as low as I go! But I knew the mileage I was getting, and the distance I had to cover. That said, I don’t recommend cutting it that close! (Nor is it good advice for engine care, as you suck sediment out of the bottom of the tank.)

If it is something that worries you, follow the excellent advice given here...fill up before you start to worry.

Anyway, usroadman's advice is excellent and we hope he will share his knowledge here often!

At Pueblo you have a decision to make.

1. Continue north on I25 and take the route I think you are looking at via 470 (skirts Denver on the southwest), I70, 40 north via Berthoud Pass, and then 34 into RMNP. Excellent! 52 hours total drive time to Portland

I would go this way if you are in Pueblo as I find Colorado Springs, Manitou, Pike's Peak, and the Garden of the God's a must see for the USA. I also find downtown Denver to be a great city to visit if you have the time. But it sounds like time will limit what you can fit in during your visit, so I will suggest that you follow the advice of the experts who have proposed several alternatives to you and select the one that fits your needs the best. Interstates are great when time is of the essence, just make sure that you exit here and there and also visit sites that interest you!!!