American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Partyin' On The Lincoln In Illinois

The weekend of August 24-26th will have the Lincoln Highway in Illinois blocked off in two towns, Dekalb and Rochelle for two really fun annual festivals.

Dekalb sponsors its 30th annual Cornfest in which 70 tons of that sweet stuff will be consumed. It will be FREE on Saturday from 11 to 2 PM, or as long as it lasts. Just watch out, Lincoln Highway gets mighty slippery with all that butter a'drippin'.

Plus there will be lots of vendors, food crafts, and, of course, music. Cornfest is billed as Illinois' largest FREE music festival. Bands such as Chicago's Rat Pack (the Boys), American English(Beatles Tribute) will take the stage as well as headliner Sawyer Brown, a country band.

There will be an auto rally and bus tours with Dekalb historian Stephen Bigolin. I went on this last year, and even though I'd gone to college in Dekalb and have spent much time after that in its environs, I sure did learn a lot.

About twenty miles further west is Rochelle, where they will be having their 10th Annual Lincoln Highway Heritage Festival. The Lincoln will be closed through the heart of town as well. Besides music, there will be an artsraft show, car and motorcycle show, fly-in at the airport, miniature train display, and an ice cream social.

I understand this will be dry this year, but there are at least seven bars downtown.

Great fun, but I can never figure out why they persist in holding both on the same weekend every year.

www.cornfest.com

www.lincolnhighwayheritagefestival.com

I'll be Out There Eatin' and Enjoyin'. --RoadDog

RoadDog,

You folks in the Mid West sure know how to party! Two per weekend!

Thanks for the Wallis Interview on the Cobert Report tip as well. I found the interview on the web here

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_col...ort/index.jhtml

Keep the Show on the Road!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we managed to survive the floods along Lincoln. The only bad place was the bridge over the Kishwaukee River by NIU's Lagoon in Dekalb.

Friday, we did some barhopping in Rochelle, Illinois. There is a street right around from the Standard station with five bars. Lots of friendly folks there.

Had some absolutely delicious porkchop sandwiches courtesy of the Rochelle Fire Department for $3. Had a few of these. A person from Fox Rockford was there with a live show. I tried to talk to him about the importance of the Lincoln Highway, but I don't think anything came of it.

Had a great time listening to the New Invaders playing 1960s music from the British Invasion and the US.

Partyin' on the Lincoln. --RoadDog

Well, we managed to survive the floods along Lincoln. The only bad place was the bridge over the Kishwaukee River by NIU's Lagoon in Dekalb.

Friday, we did some barhopping in Rochelle, Illinois. There is a street right around from the Standard station with five bars. Lots of friendly folks there.

Had some absolutely delicious porkchop sandwiches courtesy of the Rochelle Fire Department for $3. Had a few of these. A person from Fox Rockford was there with a live show. I tried to talk to him about the importance of the Lincoln Highway, but I don't think anything came of it.

Had a great time listening to the New Invaders playing 1960s music from the British Invasion and the US.

Partyin' on the Lincoln. --RoadDog

I can see we need to declare a branch of the Lincoln through the Northwest. Of course those Yellowstone Trail folks are making progress as party animals as well, so there is hope!

But I'm getting the feeling I may need to start shopping air fares for next year!

Thanks for the report!

Keep the Show on the Road!