American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Interest In Another American Road Forum Roadtrip?

What will you be driving, RoadDog? Look for Pat's Corvair and Denny's Vette on the MO side. We plan to arrive around 8:30 or so in 'Lil Red.

Mary Sue and I are going to pass on the Broadwell event and will just hang out at the Days Inn until close to 5:00 when we'll go to the IDOT lot for the Friday night street cruise. It begins promptly at 6:00 but we'll be there at five to meet Springfield friends at our traditional "prestaging" area.

We're doing the street parking thing on Saturday and can Remember the Alamo around 5:00....Bliss

We usually do Route 4 from Staunton to I-72 and then hit BL-I55/6th to Stephenson.

And here's a shot from the actual cruise staging area.....Bliss

http://americanroadmagazine.com/forum/inde...=si&img=254

Hey, let's cruise on up to Ernie Edwards' place for the marker dedication. Nothing starts in Springfield until 6 PM anyway.

I plan to meet Bliss at 4:45 for the cruise (I believe I'll have an open seat if you're interested & Liz allows;-) but that shouldn't be a problem. The other side is a little different, however. We can reach Broadwell from just about anypoint on the route in an hour and a half or less if we want to jump on the interstate. Of course, every member of this forum could also spend a day and a half (or more) covering the same distance. Getting to the Pig Hip at 2:30 could mean a little clock watching and attraction picking on the way north.

Cool! We can sort out the logistics at the bridge.

I've now been downgraded to "iffy" on making it to Broadwell. My yearly infusion of Cozy Dogs is already a year in arrears, so I might be at the CD Friday afternoon for some "medical service". :ready2eat:

I've now been downgraded to "iffy" on making it to Broadwell.

I figured I'd make a Broadwell decision at the last possible moment. If I find myself nearing Springfield with sufficient time, I'll probably pick up the expressway and include it. If not, not.

The Cozy Dog will be open after the parade. I know because I encountered last year's Grand Marshall there after the cruising was done ;) Think Cha Cha Muldowney will stop by for a dog this year?

I'm inching closer myself to committing to this thing. As much as I'd love to stay at the Route 66 H & CC, I found a cheaper place down the road for half the price. And it's probably a must that I join the fun at the Chain of Rocks. And that means I might have to leave Thursday night and stay somewhere along US 40 in Illinois. Hmmm....I've always wondered how the Tahoe Motel in Pocahontas, IL is. Then again the Paradise Inn Motel in Effingham was a winner when I was there seven-ish years ago.

I just realized, this event will mark the 5th Anniversary when the Repps and Jim Ross announced some new rag called American Road. ;) Kinda fitting we'd all be hooking up at the same venue, eh?

New "Rag"? Hmmmm. I think that we ought to make you write up a Memory Motel article on the Tahoe or the Paradise Inn for that crack!

:D B

Some of us (Bliss, RoadDog, & me) joined the group crossing the Chain of Rocks and heading to the Route 66 Festival in Springfield, MO, and Roadmaven made it for the street cruise. Great weather for both the drive up the old road and my first street cruise.

Some of Friday's fun can be seen at

http://www.dennygibson.com/rt66fest07il

There will be one more day of posting with Sixty-Six connections then two days of PP-OO.

Some of us (Bliss, RoadDog, & me) joined the group crossing the Chain of Rocks and heading to the Route 66 Festival in Springfield, MO, and Roadmaven made it for the street cruise. Great weather for both the drive up the old road and my first street cruise.

There will be one more day of posting with Sixty-Six connections then two days of PP-OO.

Denny,

The write up very nicely catches the fun and excitement of the event...and I enjoyed the bridge shots, as well as pictures of some of the “gang.”

Do you supose the gravel road to the river was to an earlier ferry landing?

I bet the kids lining the road were angry at missing their lessons. :lol:

BTW, I think we are reconnected via e-mail as I first saw the write-up link in my email.

Keep em coming!

Keep the Show on the Road!

New "Rag"? Hmmmm. I think that we ought to make you write up a Memory Motel article on the Tahoe or the Paradise Inn for that crack!

:D B

And I will let Pat handle THAT one solo! :)

Hi Denny,

Thanks for the write up! I bet at this moment you and Pat are doing some PPOO exploring. Sorry I couldn't make it, but you can't be in two places at once, and Saturday night I had tickets to see a stand-up comic I *really, really* wanted to see in Indy last night. His name is Frank Caliendo and he's absolutely hilarious! I bet a lot of sports guys here would know him from FOX NFL and his dead-on impersonations of Jim Rome (as he says, for the 30 or so of you out there that get this - thanks to Pat telling me who Jim Rome is, I got it now...! LOL) and of course, his "signature" impression of John Madden.

If anyone wants a good laugh for 9 minutes, check out this video on You Tube:

His George Bush is amazing - also make note of my favorites - John Madden at 01:13, Robert DeNiro at 03:30, Ted Knight at 04:46, Jay Leno at 06:10 and Chris Farley at 08:12!

Meanwhile, back to the topic....

Here are some shots from the 66 Fest. I also took some video of the Friday night cruise, so once I can navigate You Tube, I'll have them there. Meanwhile, if you like vehiculars, here ya be: Route 66 International Festival

Here are some shots from the 66 Fest. I also took some video of the Friday night cruise, so once I can navigate You Tube, I'll have them there. Meanwhile, if you like vehiculars, here ya be: Route 66 International Festival

Roadmaven,

Definately some nice shots there! And your Corvair looks like a sweet ride.

Now I will go see how Denny tells the story!

It was a great time getting together with all the AR folks in at the bridge and in Springfield. Almost missed the rendezvous site at Hardee's on the Illinois side. I forgot it was a Hardee's by the interstate, so the sign would be way up high. Caught it just in time, and there was Kent, sipping on his coffee.

Liz is going to try to get the address of that school in Mitchell so we can do some follow up.

As a 33-year teaching vet myself, I can just see what happened in the classrooms Friday morning. The teacher asked them if they'd rather tale the scheduled spelling test. or go out in the fantastic fall sunshine and watch all these old classic and sports cars go by. I just know how that vote went.

I hope that the students got a little bit of 66's history before-hand. I know a lady came by on the Missouri side with an advertiser paper that had two whole pages on Route 66.

Kent is a great lead car driver, and never got us lost, even once. Nice job, Bliss!!! Hey, and Denny didn't even hit one dog. Word must have gotten out from Kentucky, and they were staying off the road.

This was like a reunion of last April's Kentucky roadtrip.

Show me the bridge. --RoadDog

It was a great time getting together with all the AR folks in at the bridge and in Springfield. Almost missed the rendezvous site at Hardee's on the Illinois side. I forgot it was a Hardee's by the interstate, so the sign would be way up high. Caught it just in time, and there was Kent, sipping on his coffee.

Liz is going to try to get the address of that school in Mitchell so we can do some follow up.

As a 33-year teaching vet myself, I can just see what happened in the classrooms Friday morning. The teacher asked them if they'd rather tale the scheduled spelling test. or go out in the fantastic fall sunshine and watch all these old classic and sports cars go by. I just know how that vote went.

I hope that the students got a little bit of 66's history before-hand. I know a lady came by on the Missouri side with an advertiser paper that had two whole pages on Route 66.

Kent is a great lead car driver, and never got us lost, even once. Nice job, Bliss!!! Hey, and Denny didn't even hit one dog. Word must have gotten out from Kentucky, and they were staying off the road.

This was like a reunion of last April's Kentucky roadtrip.

Road Dog,

Thanks for the additional notes on the trip!

I think your characterization of the classroom dynamic is correct. On the first day of nice weather, I used to take my class outside for a lesson on the lawn. It was a poor learning site, but I never had a complaint!

It looks like you all had a great time. It must be kinda fun to be in a parade with all the appreciative bystanders!

I have enjoyed the trip..... virtually. Thanks for sharing!

Show me the bridge. --RoadDog