American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Interest In Another American Road Forum Roadtrip?

Hey all....I got to thinking, we need to bookend another AR forum drive with the one we had in April. Since there'll already be strong forum representation at the Rt 66 Association of Missouri Motor Tour in September, how about riding its coat tails and making it part of an AR forum get-together? I'm pretty well sure I'm heading there, and I know fellow forum folks Bliss, Kip, and Fran will already be there. How about it? Anyone interested? Dates & times can be found on their website at: http://missouri66.org. Thoughts welcome!

Leave the county? Not on your life! I'm a city boy through and through. I'm buying at 56th, Kessler, and Cooper in Washington Twp.

You all go on your trip and think of me as I deal with all the charms and pleasures of moving into a 50-year-old house.

jim

Leave the county? Not on your life! I'm a city boy through and through. I'm buying at 56th, Kessler, and Cooper in Washington Twp.

You all go on your trip and think of me as I deal with all the charms and pleasures of moving into a 50-year-old house.

jim

Ahhh, heading right into the high property tax district. God be with you, my friend! When we moved into our house in '02, it was 48 years old, so I feel your pain. Within the first 2 years we had to replace the water heater and furnace. The A/C is going on 20 years old now, but she's still pumping it out. Give me a shout if you need a hand moving. You're packing up Labor Day weekend?

I'm overlapping residences for a month. I'll probably move Sept 29. I need to do some prep on the house before I move.

High property tax is right. $2,400 a year on a $90,000 house. Blows my mind. If my kids didn't live 1 mile away and in that school district I'd've stayed in Pike.

Whoakay, this thread is totally hijacked. Sorry about that.

Edited by mobilene

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about the motor tour, but something came up, so can't go.

However, Springfield is having the Route 66 Festival, sixth annual I think, the last weekend in September. We wil be going to that.

We'll leave the week before and go out to Kansas and backtrack to Rail Haven, or perhaps Rest Haven (we've never stayed there), Munger-Moss, probably Vernelle's after reading the article in the Route 66 Advertiser.

The key to it will be the opportunity to cross the Chain of Rocks Bridge on Friday.

In Springfield, we'll be staying at the Abraham Lincoln right downtown.

Anyone interested?

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Perhaps some of us ARers can get together there.

Anyone interested?

Actually, I've been so busy with my travel shedule, I plum forgot about Springfield! I'm definitely going to make an effort to clear out that weekend. My upcoming weekends are:

--This weekend: Working on cars, going to an Italian Festival, and going to a Corvair picnic

--Next weekend: Missouri Route 66 Motor Tour

--Following weekend: American Heart Walk, wedding anniversary, Jennifer's birthday

--Weekend after that: Hoosier Auto Show & Swap Meet

--Weekend after that: Springfield??

On top of that, still hoping to take a 4-day weekend retreat to relax up to Minnesota. Time & $$$ will tell! :lol:

However, Springfield is having the Route 66 Festival, sixth annual I think, the last weekend in September. We wil be going to that.

The key to it will be the opportunity to cross the Chain of Rocks Bridge on Friday.

In Springfield, we'll be staying at the Abraham Lincoln right downtown.

Anyone interested?

Mary Sue and I will be cruisin' 'Lil Red back to Springfield again this year for the 66 festival and have reserved a jaccuzi suite at the Route 66 Hotel. Crossing the COR is always awesome and we look forward to that. We always join cruisin' friends at the IDOT lot on Friday evening for the big street cruise. What a blast that is! We'll be street parked downtown on Saturday and that's another big fun day. Perhaps American Roaders and other blue highway roadies can meet at the Alamo around 5:00 Saturday for road stories, swapping tall tales, etc.?....Bliss

Anyone interested?

I've been undecided on this but it's now close enough that I think I can count on time being available and this bit of chatter got me motivated. I just booked Friday & Saturday nights at the Route 66 H&CC. Unlike those partying Sandersons, I got a cheap jacuzzi-less room but I'll be at the CoR Bridge Friday morning and at the Alamo whenever. This year I might cross the bridge taillights first just because I can.

I've been undecided on this but it's now close enough that I think I can count on time being available and this bit of chatter got me motivated. I just booked Friday & Saturday nights at the Route 66 H&CC. Unlike those partying Sandersons, I got a cheap jacuzzi-less room but I'll be at the CoR Bridge Friday morning and at the Alamo whenever. This year I might cross the bridge taillights first just because I can.

We'll look for you when we arrive at COR around 8:30 or 9:00 and we can cruise to Springfield together; hopefully, without requiring a repair shop. 'Lil Red is currently doing great but you never know what tomorrow may bring. She has surprised us more than once.

We usually like to stop for lunch in Carlinville at the Anchor Bar because we're somewhat partial to their chili. Their dry mix is made by a local cannery and the finished product contains no tomato products. It's much better than it sounds. However, the chili at the Cozy Dog and the Lake Springfield Tavern in Springfield is equally as tasty....Bliss

So...how many people are interested in meeting at the Chain of Rocks bridge?

How many will be in Springfield?

The Alamo would be a good place to meet on Saturday. Or, if I might suggest, there is a great retro breakfast/lunch place called Charlie Parker's for breakfast or George Ranks, the round, orange bar on 66.

Liz and I make two people.

Perhaps we should make this a sticky.

Good Times for the Festival. --RoadDog

So...how many people are interested in meeting at the Chain of Rocks bridge?

How many will be in Springfield?

The Alamo would be a good place to meet on Saturday. Or, if I might suggest, there is a great retro breakfast/lunch place called Charlie Parker's for breakfast or George Ranks, the round, orange bar on 66.

Liz and I make two people.

Perhaps we should make this a sticky.

Good Times for the Festival. --RoadDog

As far as I know right now, just Denny and us from this group will be at the COR on Friday the 28th. Pat and Jennifer are possibles. There will be lot of vehicles in the parking lot for the caravan to Springfield, however.

Springfield itself will be absolutely packed. Downtown will be wall-to-wall people on Friday night because of the street cruise and these same folks and others will also show up on Saturday. We'll be downtown with the cruisers Friday night and will then meet Springfield cruisin' friends Saturday morning for an early arrival downtown for street parking and display. We usually call it off around four or five Saturday afternoon and I'm thinking that would be an excellent time to Remember the Alamo....Bliss

I'm inching closer myself to committing to this thing. As much as I'd love to stay at the Route 66 H & CC, I found a cheaper place down the road for half the price. And it's probably a must that I join the fun at the Chain of Rocks. And that means I might have to leave Thursday night and stay somewhere along US 40 in Illinois. Hmmm....I've always wondered how the Tahoe Motel in Pocahontas, IL is. Then again the Paradise Inn Motel in Effingham was a winner when I was there seven-ish years ago.

I just realized, this event will mark the 5th Anniversary when the Repps and Jim Ross announced some new rag called American Road. ;) Kinda fitting we'd all be hooking up at the same venue, eh?

Hmmm....I've always wondered how the Tahoe Motel in Pocahontas, IL is. Then again the Paradise Inn Motel in Effingham was a winner when I was there seven-ish years ago.

I certainly don't want to sway you because I've wondered about the Tahoe, too, and would welcome a report. But I'll probably spend Thursday night at Jay's in Vandalia. It's not picturesque in any way - it's a converted something or other - but it is locally owned. I've stayed there three times I think and always felt like I got a bargain. Vandalia's about the right distance for me to do an after work dash and it leaves about an hour left to the CoR Bridge.

I certainly don't want to sway you because I've wondered about the Tahoe, too, and would welcome a report. But I'll probably spend Thursday night at Jay's in Vandalia. It's not picturesque in any way - it's a converted something or other - but it is locally owned. I've stayed there three times I think and always felt like I got a bargain. Vandalia's about the right distance for me to do an after work dash and it leaves about an hour left to the CoR Bridge.

I had to look at a map to figure out why you'd stay in Vandalia from Cincy. Ahhh, you're living in interstate purgatory! To get to St. L, you can't take a direct interstate shot west to get there. It's either northwest through Indy or southwest through Louisville. I thought the I-states were supposed to get us "there" faster?? :brick_wall:

I'm still trying to figure out how the more straight-shot looking US 50 from Cincy to St. Louis is only 3 fewer miles than taking I-74 & I-70, according to Google Maps. Looks like US 50 would save considerable miles (time is another story), but my eyes must be deceiving me. :huh:

It's either northwest through Indy or southwest through Louisville.
There are many ways to divide Cincinnatians: East Side vs. West Side, Republicans vs. Democrats, Skyline vs. Gold Star, and whether they go through Indianapolis or Louisville to get to St Louis. Each of the groups mentioned is roughly the same size.

There are many ways to divide Cincinnatians: East Side vs. West Side, Republicans vs. Democrats, Skyline vs. Gold Star, and whether they go through Indianapolis or Louisville to get to St Louis. Each of the groups mentioned is roughly the same size.

And you forgot the biggest divide: U.C. vs. Xavier!

We'll probably stay in St. Charles on Thursday night so as to be bright-eyed and chipper at 9 AM at the Chain of Rocks.

One of the top NTN places, Side Pockets, is located there, so will get some of the game in.

Looking forward to meeting AR folks at the bridge. Perhaps put American Road signs on the cars.

Chain of Rocks Bridge, Now there's a Place to Cross a River. --RoadDog

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Ron Warnick's Route 66 News for this link to a Springfield newspaper article on the upcoming festival:

http://www.sj-r.com/News/stories/16564.asp

The article mentions that a formal dedication of the marker at the Pig Hip site is scheduled for 2:30 Friday. I'm pondering whether to try to cruise north at a pace to include that.

It's just over a week away. Anyone else from here joining Bliss, RoadDog, Roadmaven (we think;-), and me at the bridge Friday morning?

Thanks to Ron Warnick's Route 66 News for this link to a Springfield newspaper article on the upcoming festival:

http://www.sj-r.com/News/stories/16564.asp

The article mentions that a formal dedication of the marker at the Pig Hip site is scheduled for 2:30 Friday. I'm pondering whether to try to cruise north at a pace to include that.

It's just over a week away. Anyone else from here joining Bliss, RoadDog, Roadmaven (we think;-), and me at the bridge Friday morning?

I'm still in! Matter of fact, I need to do my online car show registration the next couple o'nights, as deadline is midnight Friday night. If we think there's enough time to get to the Pig Hip and back before the cruise, count me in! Early forecast for next Friday sez partly cloudy & high of 78 in Springfield!

Liz and I will be at the CoR Bridge at 9 AM.

Hey, let's cruise on up to Ernie Edwards' place for the marker dedication. Nothing starts in Springfield until 6 PM anyway. Sounds like a plan to me.

How about the Alamo Saturday afternoon?

Liz and I will be at the CoR Bridge at 9 AM.

Hey, let's cruise on up to Ernie Edwards' place for the marker dedication. Nothing starts in Springfield until 6 PM anyway. Sounds like a plan to me.

How about the Alamo Saturday afternoon?

What will you be driving, RoadDog? Look for Pat's Corvair and Denny's Vette on the MO side. We plan to arrive around 8:30 or so in 'Lil Red.

Mary Sue and I are going to pass on the Broadwell event and will just hang out at the Days Inn until close to 5:00 when we'll go to the IDOT lot for the Friday night street cruise. It begins promptly at 6:00 but we'll be there at five to meet Springfield friends at our traditional "prestaging" area.

We're doing the street parking thing on Saturday and can Remember the Alamo around 5:00....Bliss

We usually do Route 4 from Staunton to I-72 and then hit BL-I55/6th to Stephenson.