American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Morning After - At The American Road Garage

It has been a busy week at the American Road Garage, with lots of excitement. That Party Animal (AKA DennyG) suggested that we hold a one year anniversary birthday party for the forum. When he offered to buy the cake and punch, the idea caught on like wildfire. Denny made a call to headquarters and none other than beckyrepp said she was on board.

We held the party Thursday night and the celebrants filled both bays of the garage and spilled out to the islands. People were driving by honking and I’m not sure who brought it but someone spiked the punch.

I would try to list everyone who was here but it was all happening so fast, I missed a few, and I don’t want to leave anyone out. I do know that a few folks we haven’t seen since the last bash showed up in fine fettle to join the fun. I wish I knew all those great folks better. Maybe they will stop by more often. I do recall BeckyR and Laurel66 adding to the fun, but things were getting a little hazy by my third dip into the punch bowl.

Heck, we haven’t had this much fun since Mobilene mistook the mayor’s driveway for an old alignment and ran over his campaign signs backing out.

Dave Reese and RoadDog won prizes for their posting prowess, and Keep was promised any prize he wanted if he would just sit down and shut up. Lots of stories were exchanged and a near equal number of denials offered.

Ypsi Slim revealed that his road postcard collection now exceeds 100 boxes! He was so caught up in the excitement that he offered the prize winners copies of his special edition on Lincoln Highway postcards.

Ypsi is the incoming VP of the Lincoln Highway Association which will in due time lead to the Presidency of that illustrious organization. Does this group have the leading road luminaries in American in our leadership, or what?!! I just hope we don’t have to call him Mr. Vice President!

Road trip wise, we have pretty much covered the country this week. Cityboy1986 took a round about trip in Texas, including lots of small towns, and even an old Texaco station complete with vintage sign. Cityboy is a double threat because he is fast becoming a road expert and is a university history major. What a terrific combo. Some of wish we could go back and do it again!

DennyG went to Dublin, which must have involved quite a running start to get that Corvette to hydroplane that far...opps, Dublin, Ohio. He posted lots of Dublin Irish Festival photos and Ohio Byway photos. Be sure to look. DennyG’s work always pleases.

RoadHound came back from his California Sierra Nevada Mono Lake Ghost Town tour with reports of wagon roads and early auto routes. We are all waiting to hear the report and see some of his spectacular photos.

Keep the Show on the Road (me) made another swing into Oregon including following a cliffside alignment up Cow Canyon in the family sedan. He says he will post a report ASAP.

Mobilene is scouting out old photos in his old roads and alignments research. His encyclopedic knowledge shamed the older “experts” on the bonus birthday party road quiz.

Dave Reese has set his road adventures aside for awhile and is leaving on a cruise to the Caribbean with his wife. Cruises and TR3's...threre's a story there somewhere! I guess its a tough life, but someone has to live it!

Hester_nec explained how that handle was developed. It is all kind of a secret code. He is offering the Hudson Hornets secret decoder ring for five Hudson gas caps, and 25 cents. And if you happen to be driving a 1932 Essex, he has something for you.

Keep is gulping down his second Orange Crush out of the cooler, Mobilene is giving the Mayor’s car a free lube, DennyG is washing the big window in front of the office, beckyrepp has gone back to her corner office at headquarters with the big windows, plush carpets, and leather executive chairs, Ypsi is restocking the map rack, Cityboy1986 is reading his text book between customers, Jennifer and Pat are discussing proposals...Keep is sweeping out bay 2, and ......join the gang at the American Road Garage! You will be welcome!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Thanks for keeping us organized KTSOTR. The garage always appears to be a busy chaos, but in the end you seem to have your finger on the pulse of everything that is happening. Since the TR3 is in the restoration shop getting some work done on the front suspension, I have a hour or so here at home to catch up before the hoards once again descent on the home. I will miss the chatter next week, but I hope my ears don't burn up too much with behind my back gossip.

Now where do I dump the used motor oil?

Edited by Dave Reese

Thanks for keeping us organized KTSOTR. The garage always appears to be a busy chaos, but in the end you seem to have your finger on the pulse of everything that is happening. Since the TR3 is in the restoration shop getting some work done on the front suspension, I have a hour or so here at home to catch up before the hoards once again descent on the home. I will miss the chatter next week, but I hope my ears don't burn up too much with behind my back gossip.

Now where do I dump the used motor oil?

Hi Dave,

We have the big barrel on wheels with the huge funnel on top for the used oil. I have no idea where the boss empties it and I'm afraid to ask! I do know if I don't line that sucker up with the oil pouring out of the crankcase, I have lots of clean up, so be careful!

I can'tt promise that we won't talk about you when you are on the high seas. Got any juicy gossip we can spread?! :D

Have a wonderful cruise! We will miss and envy you guys all at the same time.

Encyclopedic knowledge? Actually, it's just like back when I was in engineering school: It's not what you know, it's how fast you can look it up!

And since the mayor isn't from my party, some speculated that it wasn't accidental that I flattened his campaign signs.

Encyclopedic knowledge? Actually, it's just like back when I was in engineering school: It's not what you know, it's how fast you can look it up!

And since the mayor isn't from my party, some speculated that it wasn't accidental that I flattened his campaign signs.

Mobilene, if you can “look it up” in 4 seconds there is no need for an encyclopedic knowledge.....or was that a jab at us old far** who take 2 ,minutes to remember our addressees? Fisher....hum.....hum.... didn’t he play for the Yankees in 36?

And I talked with the Mayor...he said you did have a smirk on your face, especially on the third roll over his flower garden.

Did you win either of the ABB’s you were after?

Keep sharing the knowledge and Keep the Show on the Road!

I believe I saw these two guys staggering out of the party last night:

Geography argument leads to fisticuffs

Posted by T.W. Burger/The Patriot-News August 10, 2007 12:46PM

Categories: Crime

Two Virginia men have been cited for a fight in a motel parking lot over an issue of geography.

Middlesex Twp. police said that about 11:45 Thursday night, John L. Snyder Jr., 26, of Lake Ridge, Va., and Jermaine R. Graham, 24 of Stafford, Va., who both work for a moving company, got into an argument over whether Virginia was north or south of Pennsylvania. The fight was broken up by co-workers.

Snyder suffered minor injuries from the fight and from falling down because of his level of intoxication, police said. He was taken to Carlisle Medical Center and was cited for public intoxication. Graham, who had no injuries, was cited for disorderly conduct.

Jim, I KNEW I liked you for some reason besides your road knowledge! :cheers: Oops, I think politics is a Speed Limits No-No! This is me reprimanding myself: :brick_wall:

I believe I saw these two guys staggering out of the party last night:

Geography argument leads to fisticuffs

Posted by T.W. Burger/The Patriot-News August 10, 2007 12:46PM

Categories: Crime

Two Virginia men have been cited for a fight in a motel parking lot over an issue of geography.

Middlesex Twp. police said that about 11:45 Thursday night, John L. Snyder Jr., 26, of Lake Ridge, Va., and Jermaine R. Graham, 24 of Stafford, Va., who both work for a moving company, got into an argument over whether Virginia was north or south of Pennsylvania. The fight was broken up by co-workers.

Snyder suffered minor injuries from the fight and from falling down because of his level of intoxication, police said. He was taken to Carlisle Medical Center and was cited for public intoxication. Graham, who had no injuries, was cited for disorderly conduct.

Da** it, Dave. You didn't say if Virgina is north or south of Pennsylvamia. :D

Keep

Da** it, Dave. You didn't say if Virgina is north or south of Pennsylvamia. :D

Keep

I just reports what I read...the encyclopedic group owns the maps. Heck, on Sunday we fly from Allentown PA to Ft. Lauderdale FL by way of Detroit. My geography knowledge was not too good in school either. I preferred algebra.

I just reports what I read...the encyclopedic group owns the maps. Heck, on Sunday we fly from Allentown PA to Ft. Lauderdale FL by way of Detroit. My geography knowledge was not too good in school either. I preferred algebra.

Like I said before, have a wonderful trip...... and BTW don’t forget to bring us back some Caribbean souvenirs...I think rum is in this year.

Cheers and thanks for all you do at the forum. You add to the fun big time!

Jim, I KNEW I liked you for some reason besides your road knowledge! :cheers: Oops, I think politics is a Speed Limits No-No! This is me reprimanding myself: :brick_wall:

Roadmaven, I want to add my appreciation for your long service and Jennifer’s as well. Your history of the forum was interesting and worth knowing. Maybe you could post it somewhere so it is available. You folks have generated a happy and growing group. Congrats!

There you go - Like me. People tell me I know a lot about Hudsons; I tell them I don't know from nothing - but I do know where to look it up!!!!! LOL

Same thing with the recent exchange with Anna about the Lincoln Highway routing thru Utah - where did it go. Well, a 1941 AAA tour book and a 1948 road atlas got most of the answers.

Now, about that query from a fellow Hudson member on what country Jerusalem was in in 1926.........Oh, yeah, a 1937 Encyclopedia I got on my shelf says Palestine. LOL

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Mobilene, if you can “look it up” in 4 seconds there is no need for an encyclopedic knowledge <snip> Did you win either of the ABB’s you were after?

I swear, I was born to research. And I'm lucky that I live in a time when there's Google!

The auctions for the ABBs I'm watching end on my birthday, Sunday. My 40th! What a birthday present that would be if I win them.

Jim, I KNEW I liked you for some reason besides your road knowledge!

I'll just wink and smile here lest I get cited.

People tell me I know a lot about Hudsons; I tell them I don't know from nothing - but I do know where to look it up!!!!! LOL

You'd think I'd let my rep build by holding back on this, but drat that stoic upbringing I had that says I must be honest. I'm just really good at picking search terms on Google!

Actually, I had read about Prest-O-Lite somewhere, so I knew that the answer would be findable.

It has been a busy week at the American Road Garage, with lots of excitement. That Party Animal (AKA DennyG) suggested that we hold a one year anniversary birthday party for the forum. When he offered to buy the cake and punch, the idea caught on like wildfire. Denny made a call to headquarters and none other than beckyrepp said she was on board.

Keep is gulping down his second Orange Crush out of the cooler, Mobilene is giving the Mayor’s car a free lube, DennyG is washing the big window in front of the office, beckyrepp has gone back to her corner office at headquarters with the big windows, plush carpets, and leather executive chairs, Ypsi is restocking the map rack, Cityboy1986 is reading his text book between customers, Jennifer and Pat are discussing proposals...Keep is sweeping out bay 2, and ......join the gang at the American Road Garage! You will be welcome!

Thursday's party celebrating our 1st Birthday was indeed an excellent idea - thank you Denny! Thomas and I were pleased to see so many in attendance. I've got a list of the folks in attendance -- I THINK that I captured all the names. Provided I can track down all the attendees non-virtual addresses- a small token of thanks will be sent from AR.

KTSONR - not sure what office you saw me go into with those plush carpets and leather chairs, but, it wasn't mine!

I'm looking forward to next year to learn who will be our top posters!

Until then, let's have some more fun on the American Road!

:D Best,

Becky

• 3 months later...
Woohoo!! I've got a brand-new key chain and it's really cool. That "small token" Becky mentioned arrived yesterday. Very nicely done with the American Road Magazine logo. Now I'll have to get a brand-new key.

HI Denny,

Glad you received the key chain. I'm happy with the way they turned out, too. The company that makes the Blue Whale pewter key chain and pins made our new pewter key chains and pins.

I'd like to see a photo of your new key (and the car to which it belongs)!

:D Becky

Becky,

My new key ring arrived and it is a Beauty. I will probably use if for my newly cut original key blank for the TR3. Right now the dash is half out awaiting the return of the repaired temperature gauge, and have the final two replacement knobs on my desk right now, so I hope to have it all back together and running again in about a week. Thanks again for keeping us all together and partying.

Becky,

My new key ring arrived and it is a Beauty. I will probably use if for my newly cut original key blank for the TR3. Right now the dash is half out awaiting the return of the repaired temperature gauge, and have the final two replacement knobs on my desk right now, so I hope to have it all back together and running again in about a week. Thanks again for keeping us all together and partying.

Hi Dave,

Glad it arrived! I mailed them in batches. I have one more waiting to go out.

Would love to see a photo of your TR3 when its up and running again.

Looking forward to our two-year cyber b-day bash!

:D Becky

Me too!!!!!! I got a new key chain - hmmmmmmmmmm. Where to put it. I know - I have a spare set of keys to the car. I'll put those on it.

Thanks very much for the key chain - that's pretty rugged, too. Should last a long time. I have another one that most of my keys are on that was given to me by a fellow I was stationed with in the Coast Guard - it has a Coast Guard emblem on it. That's lasted over 30 years.

Safe Traveling everybody

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Me too!!!!!! I got a new key chain - hmmmmmmmmmm. Where to put it. I know - I have a spare set of keys to the car. I'll put those on it.

Thanks very much for the key chain - that's pretty rugged, too. Should last a long time. I have another one that most of my keys are on that was given to me by a fellow I was stationed with in the Coast Guard - it has a Coast Guard emblem on it. That's lasted over 30 years.

Safe Traveling everybody

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Hi Alex,

Glad it arrived! I was pretty certain that you'd find a home for it!

:D B

• 1 month later...

Becky,

I had the Triumph out on the road for the first time in months yesterday, with the American Road Key Chain proudly on the key. It was great to have sun and 60 degrees, even if it only was about 5 miles with the top down. Thanks again.

Becky,

I had the Triumph out on the road for the first time in months yesterday, with the American Road Key Chain proudly on the key. It was great to have sun and 60 degrees, even if it only was about 5 miles with the top down. Thanks again.

Dave,

I'm not Becky....but I can feel that sun on the side of my face, the wind in my hair, and that British roadster under my....well you know the feeling!! Oh the Joy!!

Thanks for a brief moment of road bliss!

Dave