American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Steak N Shake Locking Its Doors?

roadmaven

Looks like Steak n Shake is going to try going less than 24 hours in a few of its restaurants.

Get yer Steakburger w/cheese here!

The powers that be have analyzed cost versus profit in total and by shift and are experimenting in certain cities/states to determine how each is affected with reduced hours. I don't know any facts but I'm speculating that graveyard shifts produce far less profit due to less adult traffic and more young people with less money to spend, yet, with the same amount of fixed cost as other shifts. Everything is about money....Bliss

We don’t have Steak and Shake in the west, but a fall in quarterly profits from 7.3 million to .1 million won’t be cured by changing hours in some stores! Those numbers must be misreported. Otherwise, I’m guessing we won’t be seeing Steak and Shakes in the Puget Sound area any time soon. BTW, what makes them special?

Keep the Show on the Road!

They are essentially a chain diner. Their claim to fame is their thin beef patty and all the ways they can serve it up. They have these (irritating, really) super-thin french fries, and they make a good shake/malt. It's just good food, the stores are fairly consistent, the prices aren't terrible, and they've been a part of Indiana and a few other states for a long time so people have memories.

"In sight, it must be right."

Grill behind the counter "diner style", food cooked to order, real (they got ice-cream in 'em) malts & shakes.

http://www.steaknshake.com/

Now you and Mobilene are making me hungry! Bring on the yummies!

BTW, did I thank you for the AR Birthday bash idea? Premo thinking!

Keep the Show on the Road!

• 10 months later...

I realize this is an old thread, but............

As a kid we used to stop at SnS in Peoria on the way to my grandparents. I have never forgotten those burgers, maybe the best ever. Flash forward to last week when I was in Illinois due to a family illness. I took a trip to see an aunt who is 92 and in poor health. On the way back to Hillsboro, I stopped on the west side of St. Louis and tried a couple of SnS Double Cheese Burgers. I must say they are still the best fast food available.........IMHO of course. They will give some specialty burgers a run for their money on taste.

But you may ask why are they special? I watched the cook make my burgers on a plain griddle. He took a pre-made paddy about the shape and size of a hockey puck. As he placed it on the grill, he formed the paddy a specific way using a spatula and fork for pressure. The resulting paddy on the grill was about the size of a normal hamburger bun, but the secret to the taste I think is the way the paddy is formed.......it is paper thin on the edge and thicker in the middle. The burger was allowed to cook on the grill until it was a golden brown and then turned. It was cooked a similar amount of time on the other side and placed on the toasted bun with the requested condiments.

What makes it special is the effect the shape of the formed paddy has on the finished product. The edge is a crispy golden brown while the center is very juicy with the expected texture of a well done, but not overcooked burger. The first bite is has a combination of the crispy crunch of the edge and the juicy well done center! It is a combination that I have not encountered anywhere else. I rate it a solid 9 out of 10 based on both texture and taste!

This review may start me on the never ending quest for the perfect burger...........