American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Road Pics From Shorpy.com

mobilene

Thanks to both of you for the sign photo links. The white arrows are vividly fixed in my memory of the 1940's.

What is curious is that the sign posts across the country from each other appear to be nearly identical in design. Is that the consequence of the work of the auto clubs ,the government, or some good roads type group. I wonder.

Keep the Show on the Road!

What is curious is that the sign posts across the country from each other appear to be nearly identical in design. Is that the consequence of the work of the auto clubs ,the government, or some good roads type group. I wonder.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Could they have been some sort of WPA project? I have no reason to believe this, just a hypothesis.

Could they have been some sort of WPA project? I have no reason to believe this, just a hypothesis.

Dave

That is as good a guess as I have!

My guess or guesses lean toward either the auto clubs (AAA) or the federal department of transportation (whatever it was called). I'm guessing that there were "good practices" publications that were followed by local and state entities.

Anyway, it is sure evocative of my early days when I see those photos.

And Dave, I picked up a couple of interesting Pennsylvania items this week. The 1914 Automobile Blue Book for Pennsylvania and the “Philadelphia to The Water Gap Trolly” picture book.

The 1914 ABB certainly covers your area and the Trolly booklet titled “The Route Picturesqe” is filled with photos of the route, probably in the period just before that new fangled auto-mobile thing came into prominence. It has great bridge photos, as well as stations, etc. It ran east of Allentown about 15 to 30 miles. If you or others have an interest, I will describe either in greater detail.

Thanks to our research pro Mobilene for the links!

Keep the Show on the Road

And Dave, I picked up a couple of interesting Pennsylvania items this week. The 1914 Automobile Blue Book for Pennsylvania and the “Philadelphia to The Water Gap Trolly” picture book.

The 1914 ABB certainly covers your area and the Trolly booklet titled “The Route Picturesqe” is filled with photos of the route, probably in the period just before that new fangled auto-mobile thing came into prominence. It has great bridge photos, as well as stations, etc. It ran east of Allentown about 15 to 30 miles. If you or others have an interest, I will describe either in greater detail.

Dave,

I will get back to you on these later. I will be tied up today and tomorrow, and then leave on a Caribbean Cruise...my wife and I really need to get away from computers and phones for a while and relax...but when I return I will try to remember to contact you on more information. Sounds intriguing.

Dave,

I will get back to you on these later. I will be tied up today and tomorrow, and then leave on a Caribbean Cruise...my wife and I really need to get away from computers and phones for a while and relax...but when I return I will try to remember to contact you on more information. Sounds intriguing.

Dave,

Have a great cruise!!! The stuff will still be around on one of my stacks when you get back.

Keep the Show on the Road