American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Old U. S. 395, Bodie, Mono Lake, And A Tragedy

Roadhound mentioned he may be in the Mono Lake area and on Yosemite’s Tioga Pass this weekend. There are a couple of old roads that might be worth a visit.

To cut to the bottom line first...I suggest taking the Coyote Springs Road up Bridgeport Canyon to Bodie, then returning by the Cottonwood Canyon Road. The reasons follow.

The old road between Mono Lake and Bridgeport, what is now US 395, did not go over Conway Summit. It went via Bridgeport Canyon to the east. And the Cottonwood Canyon Road further east is the old stage road between Bodie and Mono Lake and is described in the 1865 “Trip to Bodie’s Bluff” in Harper’s Magazine.

The short and sweet is that the old road (1923 and before) between Mono Lake and Bridgeport went via Bridgeport Canyon along what is now called Coyote Springs Road. The name alone demands a visit! After 1923 or 24 it went over Conway Summit.

Let’s begin with a couple of maps from my collection. The first is a section from a 1917 Automobile Club of Southern California strip map.. Note that the main road goes northeast from Mono Lake through Bridgeport Canyon. Also note the road continuing northeast to Bodie. This is the Cottonwood Canyon road.

AR1917MonoClose.jpg

1917 Map

The following is the 1923 map from the ACSC. Note that a new road is under construction. This is the road over Conway Summit

AR1923YosemiteMonoClose.jpg

1923 Map

This next map isn’t dated, but it is circa 1925. The main road now goes over Conway Summit.

AR1925CircaYosemiteMonoclose.jpg

Circa 1925 Map

Keeping that in mind, lets also look at an 1865 article in Harper’s Magazine titled "Trip to Bodie’s Bluff and the Dead Sea of the West”. I happen to have that issue, but if you don’t :rolleyes: , go to the terrific Library of Congress American Memory site (memory.loc.gov/ammem) and search for Bodie. One of the citations will be at the wonderful Cornell University collection of old periodicals with the title “Trip to Bodie’s Bluff.” (Both the American Memory and Cornell sites are essential sources for Americans interested in our heritage.)

Beginning on the second page of that article is the description of a trip down Cottonwood Canyon to Mono Lake. (Incidentally, as you read the article it may be helpful to know that the “Big Meadows” is the area where Bridgeport, California is now located and Aurora is east of Bridgeport, in Nevada. It might not be a bad guess that the tragedy described occurred along the Aurora Canyon Road, but that is a digression.)

The article goes on for several pages describing the Cottonwood Canyon and Mono Lake. So, I hope that Roadhound (or someone) will take the old highway through Bridgeport Canyon on Coyote Springs road, go into Bodie, and then return via the Cottonwood Canyon Road, and report to us. Bodie is obviously worth a trip in any event.

The last map, also from the ACSC is undated but after 1923 and probably pre 1930. It shows the road over Conway Summit, the Bridgeport Canyon road, and the Cottonwood Canyon Road.

ARUndatedYosemiteMono.jpg

Undated but After 1923 and Probably Before 1930

And, it might be interesting to see if there is a location along the route between Aurora and Bridgeport (Big Meadows) that fits the site of the tragedy described.

As an aside, I find it interesting that none of the maps shows Lee Vining, which therefore must not have existed in the teens or 1920’s.

If I can help, post a note, and Keep the Show on the Road!

Roadhound mentioned he may be in the Mono Lake area and on Yosemite’s Tioga Pass this weekend. There are a couple of old roads that might be worth a visit.

To cut to the bottom line first...I suggest taking the Coyote Springs Road up Bridgeport Canyon to Bodie, then returning by the Cottonwood Canyon Road. The reasons follow.

The old road between Mono Lake and Bridgeport, what is now US 395, did not go over Conway Summit. It went via Bridgeport Canyon to the east. And the Cottonwood Canyon Road further east is the old stage road between Bodie and Mono Lake and is described in the 1865 “Trip to Bodie’s Bluff” in Harper’s Magazine.

The short and sweet is that the old road (1923 and before) between Mono Lake and Bridgeport went via Bridgeport Canyon along what is now called Coyote Springs Road. The name alone demands a visit! After 1923 or 24 it went over Conway Summit.

Let’s begin with a couple of maps from my collection. The first is a section from a 1917 Automobile Club of Southern California strip map.. Note that the main road goes northeast from Mono Lake through Bridgeport Canyon. Also note the road continuing northeast to Bodie. This is the Cottonwood Canyon road.

AR1917MonoClose.jpg

1917 Map

The following is the 1923 map from the ACSC. Note that a new road is under construction. This is the road over Conway Summit

AR1923YosemiteMonoClose.jpg

1923 Map

This next map isn’t dated, but it is circa 1925. The main road now goes over Conway Summit.

AR1925CircaYosemiteMonoclose.jpg

Circa 1925 Map

Keeping that in mind, lets also look at an 1865 article in Harper’s Magazine titled "Trip to Bodie’s Bluff and the Dead Sea of the West”. I happen to have that issue, but if you don’t :rolleyes: , go to the terrific Library of Congress American Memory site (memory.loc.gov/ammem) and search for Bodie. One of the citations will be at the wonderful Cornell University collection of old periodicals with the title “Trip to Bodie’s Bluff.” (Both the American Memory and Cornell sites are essential sources for Americans interested in our heritage.)

Beginning on the second page of that article is the description of a trip down Cottonwood Canyon to Mono Lake. (Incidentally, as you read the article it may be helpful to know that the “Big Meadows” is the area where Bridgeport, California is now located and Aurora is east of Bridgeport, in Nevada. It might not be a bad guess that the tragedy described occurred along the Aurora Canyon Road, but that is a digression.)

The article goes on for several pages describing the Cottonwood Canyon and Mono Lake. So, I hope that Roadhound (or someone) will take the old highway through Bridgeport Canyon on Coyote Springs road, go into Bodie, and then return via the Cottonwood Canyon Road, and report to us. Bodie is obviously worth a trip in any event.

The last map, also from the ACSC is undated but after 1923 and probably pre 1930. It shows the road over Conway Summit, the Bridgeport Canyon road, and the Cottonwood Canyon Road.

ARUndatedYosemiteMono.jpg

Undated but After 1923 and Probably Before 1930

And, it might be interesting to see if there is a location along the route between Aurora and Bridgeport (Big Meadows) that fits the site of the tragedy described.

As an aside, I find it interesting that none of the maps shows Lee Vining, which therefore must not have existed in the teens or 1920’s.

If I can help, post a note, and Keep the Show on the Road!

Keep,

Doublecheck me on the coordinates.

Starting on CA 167 I will be turning northeast onto Goat Ranch Road at 38,02.772N, -119,09.386W My assumption is that this is approximately the old 395 alignment that is shown on the 1917 and 1923 road maps.

Following Goat Ranch Road turn north on Coyote Springs Road at 38,06.046N,-119,03.503W

Following the dirt road that is Coyote Springs (I just got the dirt from the last trip off of the Rickmobile) turn east on CA270 at 38,09.703N, -119,08.158 W and follow it into Bodie. Question: is the alignment of CA 270 heading west from this point part of the 1917 alignment of US 395? There doesn't seem to be many other options to getting to Bridgeport from that spot.

Leaving Bodie follow Cottonwood Canyon Rd starting at 38,12.452N,-119,00.875W. Cottonwood Canyon turns into Goat Ranch Cutoff just before reaching Coyote Springs Road at 38,06.046N,-119,03.503W.

The loop is now complete.

roadhound

Roadhound,

Somebody’s got his new GPS working! If I knew the way, do you think I’d be suggesting you go? :huh:

No wonder you got home from the Nevada wilds safely! Doesn’t knowing where you’re going before you go spoil all the adventure??!!! :blink:

Besides all my maps are old. They didn’t have GPS in 1917! :rolleyes:

I started to confirm your coordinates, but got sidetracked with a couple of additional thoughts. I noted a Mono Inn Road just south of Cemetery Road at 395 which might lead to something interesting (like the Mono Inn on the old maps!).

Also, the Cemetery Road takes you to a park where you can walk out on a boardwalk to view the Tufa Towers. Interesting and very photogenic!

AR395MonoLake.jpg

Tufa Towers

I suspect the old road isn’t 167 or Goat Ranch but probably Cemetery Road (Goat Ranch is also a candidate, but doesn’t conform as well to the earliest maps). I stopped on Cemetery last winter and the old trees suggested the early alignment (nice photo op!).

Note also how close the old road follows the lake on the old maps. Cemetery does this. Goat ranch doesn’t. Cemetery crosses 167 and connects with Coyote Springs.

I think you are also right in believing that 270 follows the other old alignment to Bodie.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Roadhound,

Somebody’s got his new GPS working! If I knew the way, do you think I’d be suggesting you go? :huh:

No wonder you got home from the Nevada wilds safely! Doesn’t knowing where you’re going before you go spoil all the adventure??!!! :blink:

Besides all my maps are old. They didn’t have GPS in 1917! :rolleyes:

I started to confirm your coordinates, but got sidetracked with a couple of additional thoughts. I noted a Mono Inn Road just south of Cemetery Road at 395 which might lead to something interesting (like the Mono Inn on the old maps!).

Also, the Cemetery Road takes you to a park where you can walk out on a boardwalk to view the Tufa Towers. Interesting and very photogenic!

AR395MonoLake.jpg

Tufa Towers

I suspect the old road isn’t 167 or Goat Ranch but probably Cemetery Road (Goat Ranch is also a candidate, but doesn’t conform as well to the earliest maps). I stopped on Cemetery last winter and the old trees suggested the early alignment (nice photo op!).

Note also how close the old road follows the lake on the old maps. Cemetery does this. Goat ranch doesn’t. Cemetery crosses 167 and connects with Coyote Springs.

I think you are also right in believing that 270 follows the other old alignment to Bodie.

I like that picture of the tufa with the snow. I've got to get there in the wintertime.

What I am failing to see is the natural connection between Cemetary and Coyote Springs that appears on the older maps. One one hand Cemetary is closer to the lake and in line with the older maps while Goat Springs seems to fit more naturally with the alignment between itself, Cottonwood Canyon, and Coyote Springs where they join. I do notice a dirt trail on Google Earth that takes off of Cemetery at 38,02'33.16N 119,07'04.51 that appears to be buried under 167 as it crosses and connects with Goat Springs. It is not very wide and may not be driveable unless your in a small vehicle. Looks like it is overgrown.

I'll plan on driving both Cemetary and Goat Ranch, as well as Mono Inn Rd, and report back.

Yes, we did use the GPS and it did come in handy at times. Other times it led us astray and we had to backtrack to get on the proper path. We nicknamed it "Tokyo Rose" since it always seemed to know where we were but sometimes gave us the wrong advice. I would say our success rate was 50/50 with some of the navigational errors being our fault and others being the machines inability to read our minds. Bottom line is that they can be very helpful on the major roads but you need to know where your going when it comes to the backroads, otherwise you could end up following a very narrow 4x4 road through the White Pine Range trying to find the ghost town of Hamilton when staying on the main forest road would have got you there. Not that I would know anything about that, I was just using it as an example.

roadhound

Love it!!! Not that you’d know about it!! And Tokyo Rose....that's great. Wish I could top that! And I wish I had made it to Hamilton.

Yes, there is a discontinuity on Cemetery. Your on site report will tell the tale! I’ll bet that Cemetery Road is the starting point off US395, but beyond the line of trees I saw this winter, I have no idea.

I’ve had better luck with GPS, but not with my current device which can’t find itself much of the time, and when it does, the batteries die. And I find it as user friendly as my income tax forms.

Love it!!! Not that you’d know about it!! And Tokyo Rose....that's great. Wish I could top that! And I wish I had made it to Hamilton.

Yes, there is a discontinuity on Cemetery. Your on site report will tell the tale! I’ll bet that Cemetery Road is the starting point off US395, but beyond the line of trees I saw this winter, I have no idea.

I’ve had better luck with GPS, but not with my current device which can’t find itself much of the time, and when it does, the batteries die. And I find it as user friendly as my income tax forms.

I believe I found the definitive answer for the 1917 route as well as the origins for the route over Conway summit. During my travel I stopped at the Lee Vining Historical Society and the curator, Norm, was nice enough to confirm my suspicions and correct a few of the assumptions I had.

Starting at Main St. (US 395) and Mattly Rd. the original highway followed Mattly Road northward. The route can still be followed today but turns into a gravel road once you cross the entrance to the Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center and begin your descent down the bluff. The original roadway followed the waterfront, which was higher back then, and part of the original road is under the current 395 roadbed.

The original route was along what is now Cemetary Road, past the park and the cemetary. Just after the cemetary the road goes from asphalt to gravel. Just after E. Mono Lake Dr. the original road turned northward and now goes under 167 to Goat Ranch Road. The present routing of Cemetary Rd. continues eastward and joins 167 further east. The original section is clearly visible in the satellite images but barely visible from the ground as the sagebrush has taken over. On the 1917 map this area is identified as being brushed, very rough, and sandy.

From Goat Ranch Rd. the path turned north through Bridgeport Canyon (Coyote Springs Rd.) and followed Bodie Rd. through to Bridgeport.

In the early 20's the owner of the Conway Ranch began to build a road across what is now Conway Summit so that his mule teams could deliver hay to Bridgeport more effeciently. The original path that he cut later became the first 395 roadbed across the summit. Of course, the road has since been altered significantly.

Pictures of Bridgeport Canyon, as well as Cottonwood Canyon, to follow shortly (as soon as I have time to download and process them).

roadhound

Terrific!! Another “mystery” solved. Sounds like Norm knows his stuff. The person I talked with when I was through Lee Vining last wasn’t very savvy on the old route.

It is interesting that Conway would consider a haul over that grade as easier than one up Bridgeport Canyon, but then I have never been up the canyon.

I’m looking forward to the photos and the “rest of the story!!”

I did a couple of days on a mixture of old auto roads and a touch of stage routes in north central Oregon and just got back myself.

Terrific!! Another “mystery” solved. Sounds like Norm knows his stuff. The person I talked with when I was through Lee Vining last wasn’t very savvy on the old route.

It is interesting that Conway would consider a haul over that grade as easier than one up Bridgeport Canyon, but then I have never been up the canyon.

I’m looking forward to the photos and the “rest of the story!!”

I did a couple of days on a mixture of old auto roads and a touch of stage routes in north central Oregon and just got back myself.

It's about time I started putting some pictures up to illustrate the the terrain that we have been discussing.

First let me share a picture of some of the tufa towers found in on the South Shore of Mono Lake. I left the Tuolomne Meadows campground at around 4:00 am and was at the tufa towers as the sun rose. It was the start of a long and fruitful day.

SC10_84_04.jpg

As I attempted to explain in a previous posting the road now know as Coyote Springs Rd. was once the primary route between Mono Lake and Bridgeport to the north. The locals know this as Bridgeport Canyon. The road didn't require high clearance although it is a bit rough in spots and there are a few washes were lower riding cars should take it slow.

South end of Coyote Springs Rd. just north of Goat Ranch Cutoff looking south towards Mono Lake

SC10_84_01.jpg

Coyote Springs Rd. midway between Goat Ranch Cutoff and Bodie Rd.

SC10_85_02.jpg

North end of Coyote Springs Rd near Bodie Rd.

SC10_85_01.jpg

Coming up next: Cottonwood Canyon Road from Goat Ranch Cutoff to Bodie.

Roadhound

Rick,

There ought to be a law! That photo of Mono Lake beats all, and I’ve seen most. I lost all interest in the old roads for a few minutes just looking at that image. I know you will be modest and claim you took 100 photos, but it is more than that. Much more. That is magazine cover quality. It is a grabber.

I have been taking photos all my life, and I’m not without some very minor talent, but seeing some of your shots is awe inspiring and humbling. I don’t know what the magic formula is for success in the photo business, but you sure have the photos to succeed.

That shot of Mono Lake would stop anyone in their tracks. Someone with a book to sell needs that photo. WOW!

Well I have now partially recovered. Your photos of the old alignment look like an old stage and auto road should, winding, no fills, no cuts.....up, around, and down with the land. I’m glad it has been driven now by someone who appreciates its history.

I still don’t quite understand why Conway Summit was ever a preferred route. In snow country it is steep, and seems to unnecessarily climb a mountain. I guess I will look at Google Earth to see what it might reveal.

I have to go back to that photo a minute. Not only is the image itself stunning, the clarity is amazing (as in all your photos). It is like the difference between an 11 X 14 using 35mm and sheet film. I have to assume you are using some nice glass. It can’t be just megapixels, post processing, and use of RAW files alone. I have tried RAW files with 8 megapixels and I get nothing as clean as your stuff.

I simply won’t put the care into it you do, and point and shoot zoom lenses obviously don’t match single focal length lenses. Since you have set the bar so high, I might as well just enjoy being in the pack.

Mono Lake has a pretty big following so I hope some of those folks get a chance to see that shot. Do you have others of the lake?

I have to get to my Oregon trips or they will never get reported. I saw some great photo ops. It is big country, but in two days I collected a nice batch of two lane road sites and sights.

I’m looking forward to seeing more of your reports and photos and savoring them.

Keep the Show on the Road

PS Why don't you start a new thread so that your stuff doesn't get buried on the second page of this one.

There ought to be a law! That photo of Mono Lake beats all, and I’ve seen most. I lost all interest in the old roads for a few minutes just looking at that image. I know you will be modest and claim you took 100 photos, but it is more than that. Much more. That is magazine cover quality. It is a grabber.

Thanks so much for the kind words KtSotR. From your keyboard to the photo editor's screen. I didn't exactly take a hundred of that particular shot but kept it down to about a dozen. I was really pleased with the way that particular Mono Lake shot turned out. I can truthfully say that it wasn't a snapshot and I was very deliberate with shutter speed and f/stop settings. I got exactly what I was looking for. Here's another. I have more but they will have to wait until after I finish processing my Lincoln and Victory Highway pics from the previous trip.

SC10_84_05.jpg

I still don’t quite understand why Conway Summit was ever a preferred route. In snow country it is steep, and seems to unnecessarily climb a mountain. I guess I will look at Google Earth to see what it might reveal.

The Road across Conway Summit didn't make much sense to me either, especially for the times. The road through Bridgeport Canyon has some rises but nothing that compares to the Conway Route. The terrain would have easily accomodated a 2 and even 4 lane road without to much difficulty. The only advantage I see with the Conway Route is that it shaves 5 or 10 miles off of the total distance to Bridgeport.

On To Cottonwood Canyon

The road leading in and out of the south side of Bodie is called Cottonwood Canyon Road. It is not hard at all to let the imagination drift while you drive along at a comfortable 35 MPH and imagine the stagecoach or wagon team rounding the bend trailing a cloud of dust. The road itself had a bad case of the washboards which would shake the car pretty good at lower speeds. Coming from the south the road has about a 1500 foot climb before you get to the top and head back down towards Bodie.

I did find out during my visit to the Lee Vining Historical Society that there was a mule station near where Cottonwood Canyon Rd, Coyote Springs Rd. and Goat Ranch Cutoff all meet. The station was there to provide fresh teams to the wagon trains going through the two canyons. The foundations of some buildings still remain but I unfortunately found out about them after I journeyed through the area.

Cottonwood Canyon Road looking north towards Bodie from the Summit

SC10_85_07.jpg

Cottonwood Canyon

SC10_85_05.jpg

Southern end of Cottonwood Canyon

SC10_85_04.jpg

Roadhound

• 1 year later...

Greetings,

Really enjoying the photos and maps posted here on 395!!!! Roadhound and i are aquainted thru our mutual admiration of WWII flying machines and, as it appears here, our appreciation of a beautiful HWY thru California.

I've been traveling this piece of road for my entire life and my father and mothers families are responsible for naming a road or two, my grandpa's brother (my uncle Dan) was hired to drive some of the first motor cars from L.A. to Bishop and Bridgeport in the early 1900's. My Great Grandpa was sheriff of Bishop in the early 1900's and was recently honored in town for his service and for being killed in the line of duty. The name Hazard is a fixture in Bishop. My facts are fuzzy so until i get some specifics in order, i wont go into specific's. :P

I've hunted mule deer in the Sierra's, spanning from Lone Pine to North of Bridgeport where i got my first deer on Jackson Mountain. We used to camp in Bodie and at Robinson Creek, alternating each year between the two. In the summer of 1977 i graduated elementary school and did a cross country bike ride (that's bicycle) from Bodie Ghosttown to Mojave Airport. (yes "hound" we stopped there for the air races ;) )

I have a bunch of pictures from our exploits over the years and would love to share them with you guys, hopefully i'm able to manage attachments properly.

KtSOtR, really dig the maps of old, would love to get some high res scans of those to show my grandpa who's on his way to 86 years young. When we visit with him, all of our stories begin on or around hwy 395, it just has a romantic appeal with our family and always get Papa's ears burning.

Anyway, i'll start with this introduction and will attempt to post some images in my next transmission.

Sincerely,

Sierra Fox

Greetings,

Really enjoying the photos and maps posted here on 395!!!! Roadhound and i are aquainted thru our mutual admiration of WWII flying machines and, as it appears here, our appreciation of a beautiful HWY thru California.

I've been traveling this piece of road for my entire life and my father and mothers families are responsible for naming a road or two, my grandpa's brother (my uncle Dan) was hired to drive some of the first motor cars from L.A. to Bishop and Bridgeport in the early 1900's. My Great Grandpa was sheriff of Bishop in the early 1900's and was recently honored in town for his service and for being killed in the line of duty. The name Hazard is a fixture in Bishop. My facts are fuzzy so until i get some specifics in order, i wont go into specific's. :P

I've hunted mule deer in the Sierra's, spanning from Lone Pine to North of Bridgeport where i got my first deer on Jackson Mountain. We used to camp in Bodie and at Robinson Creek, alternating each year between the two. In the summer of 1977 i graduated elementary school and did a cross country bike ride (that's bicycle) from Bodie Ghosttown to Mojave Airport. (yes "hound" we stopped there for the air races ;) )

I have a bunch of pictures from our exploits over the years and would love to share them with you guys, hopefully i'm able to manage attachments properly.

KtSOtR, really dig the maps of old, would love to get some high res scans of those to show my grandpa who's on his way to 86 years young. When we visit with him, all of our stories begin on or around hwy 395, it just has a romantic appeal with our family and always get Papa's ears burning.

Anyway, i'll start with this introduction and will attempt to post some images in my next transmission.

Sincerely,

Sierra Fox

Welcome aboard SF, great to see you here.

I, and I am sure others, can't wait for you to share some of the family history in the area around 395. It's a really good group here with lots of information to share with anybody interested in the American Road. One thing I think we all agree on around here is that it is more than the asphalt or dirt trail that make these roads interesting but rather the people and history that surround them. Speaking of which, didn't you have a recent adventure on Conway Summit that you can share?

Roadhound

Sierra Fox,

First…Welcome!

It is great to have you on board! Looking forward to your photos!

We don’t hold the fact that you know Roadhound against you, and promise to treat you better than we treat him! :rolleyes::)

I have lots of fond recollections about the east side of the Sierra, it being one of the great haunts of my youth, and a place where my grandfather drove frequently…as described elsewhere on this site (Try Tioga Wolf as a search term).

Your grandfather no doubt remembers places I knew well…..the June Lake Loop, Tom’s Place, Convict Lake, and of course Bishop and Bridgeport, etc. All are still there, but often a bit modernized. Still the most beautiful places imaginable, especially in the fall after tourist season. BTW, take a look at the old 8mm movie of June Lake village here: http://www.vimeo.com/393969

Let’s see, if he is 86, he has about 18 years on me…and should have some great stories about the area to pass on. So your assignment is to extract those stories and pass them along to us.

You are welcome to copies of the maps. I am getting a little behind on my copies for friends, so I will try to get at it soon, but if I forget, don’t hesitate to rattle my chain again!

Dave

Out of Aberdeen, off of old 395 is Division Creek rd. This takes you to a water station (Lone Pines water supply), keep heading West-ish and you get to the base of the mountain at Scotty's Springs. That's where the climb begins, taking futher to the North/West.

The picture shows the two big pines, we call twin sisters, which can be seen from new 395. If you go directly to the right from the base of the pines, you can see a very faint line, which is the road (trail) that leads you back to an camping spot. This can only be reached by vehicle (mini-truck prefferably 4WD if it's snowed recently). Just a beautiful spot and we see some of the big mule deer in that area, deer that dont see people every day.

Maybe you guys have experience in this area?

Attached is my Panoramio link showing where i took the picture from and a pretty good size image for some detail.

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/11151363.jpg

More stuff to come

post-4676-1225604351_thumb.jpg

A continuation of the previous post, you can just make out the line of the road under the snow at the 9 O'clock position of the photo. The road dissappears to the right of that and at the same level, just below the road is a lone tree, that's about as far as a truck will go, further right is the clump of pines that shadows the camp area. To be clear here, the "camp" area is not to be confused with a campground, it's just a perfect spot to make camp, have a small fire and hot chocolate, great base for further exploring, in "any" direction.

We've camped there before but we leave our truck at Scotty's Springs and hike in.

The sunrise from this location is always spectacular and some times the deer are thick. We dont shoot the deer with bullets anymore, just our camera's, i havent hunted in 10 years.

post-4676-1225605474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sierra Fox

A continuation of the previous post, you can just make out the line of the road under the snow at the 9 O'clock position of the photo. The road dissappears to the right of that and at the same level, just below the road is a lone tree, that's about as far as a truck will go, further right is the clump of pines that shadows the camp area. To be clear here, the "camp" area is not to be confused with a campground, it's just a perfect spot to make camp, have a small fire and hot chocolate, great base for further exploring, in "any" direction.

We've camped there before but we leave our truck at Scotty's Springs and hike in.

The sunrise from this location is always spectacular and some times the deer are thick. We dont shoot the deer with bullets anymore, just our camera's, i havent hunted in 10 years.

Sierra Fox,

When I said the east side was beautiful. I should have added awesome as well, as your photographs well demonstrate. Wonderful, and very evocative of the area,

A few technical notes in advance of you discovering them for yourself......you will quickly run out of attachment space, so to show more of your great photos just link to a photo on a site like Panoramio (like you did). I just cut and past the URL then use the Insert Link button. Then the photo will show in your post.

The good folks here also encourage use of the Gallery. I am not its biggest fan, but if you have a batch (maybe 5 or more) of photos to share, it is a good choice, and there you don’t run out of storage space.

BTW, I’m getting the “Forbidden” message when I go to the Panoramio link, suggesting perhaps it is password protected?

Now I will fire up Delorme or Google Earth and see if I can find the spot in the photos.

Keep em coming!!

Oh, I have to say something about deer, off topic. I love the critters, but we had 9 in the yard yesterday morning including a young buck, and they have moved from eating the fallen apples to munching on the garden. I am thinking I will get a kids bow and arrow with a rubber tip and see if I can convince them not to eat the flowers and small trees! When hunting seaon starts they seek safe haven here.

Dave

Sierra Fox,

When I said the east side was beautiful. I should have added awesome as well, as your photographs well demonstrate. Wonderful, and very evocative of the area,

A few technical notes in advance of you discovering them for yourself......you will quickly run out of attachment space, so to show more of your great photos just link to a photo on a site like Panoramio (like you did). I just cut and past the URL then use the Insert Link button. Then the photo will show in your post.

The good folks here also encourage use of the Gallery. I am not its biggest fan, but if you have a batch (maybe 5 or more) of photos to share, it is a good choice, and there you don’t run out of storage space.

BTW, I’m getting the “Forbidden” message when I go to the Panoramio link, suggesting perhaps it is password protected?

Now I will fire up Delorme or Google Earth and see if I can find the spot in the photos.

Keep em coming!!

Oh, I have to say something about deer, off topic. I love the critters, but we had 9 in the yard yesterday morning including a young buck, and they have moved from eating the fallen apples to munching on the garden. I am thinking I will get a kids bow and arrow with a rubber tip and see if I can convince them not to eat the flowers and small trees! When hunting seaon starts they seek safe haven here.

Dave

Thanks, i'm getting the "forbidden" thing as well. I will use the link and insert method when i figure it out, meantime i'll stick with text reply's. I've yet to figure out how to operate the controls you've mentioned.

I'll bet the kids bow and arrow thing will work, they can be very persistant though.

BTW, i loved the Super 8 reels, my dad had a 57 Ford and my uncle had a 57 Ford Ranchero. Great trip back in time, reminds me of our home films, which i will be trying to get posted some day........

Edited by Sierra Fox

• 9 months later...

Good Morning folks of the road!

Almost a year since i've traveled to Am Road. I'm getting geared up for another trip around the Sierra's (both sides East and West). My trip begins early Friday morning 4th Sept. driving straight thru to Nut Tree airport in Vacaville for the first annual California Mustang Gathering, where i will meet with Roadhound for a day or two.

Upon the conclusion of that show will head back to Sacramento to grab a buddy of mine and we will head to Yosimite early Monday morning for an all day photo shoot in the park. If there any suggestions on how to make the most of one day in Yosimite, i'm all for your idea's. I'm going to take the Big Oak Flat (120) route in and am wondering about a good photo spot for sunrise in the park? El Capitan maybe? Or head up Tioga to catch the sunrise? I realize this isnt a real spectacular journey, having spent 20 summers in Yosimite all thru my childhood, i'm a little foggy on the lesser know points of interest. Obviously i'll be checking Bridalveil, Glacier Point and Half Dome at various times of the day. Any thoughts are welcome ;-)

From Sacto i head to Paradise on the morning of the 8th to spend a day with my future ex inlaws, thinking of a possible quick scenic trip that day from Paradise. Then early Wednesday morning i'm taking HWY 70 to Stead NV for the Reno Air Races (where i will meet Roadhound again for a day or two). Once in Stead, i will remain until Monday 21 Sept.

After the races i take a long slow drive south on 395 all the way to Inyokern where i opt for the (14) route into SoCal. I'm hoping to make an interesting trip out the drive south from Reno. I've seen Bodie, Mono, Independence and most points of interest, but would like your input on some lesser known spots here as well. I was thinking Devils Postpile or Bristlecone Pines, havent been there in ages, even Bodie, and i recall Roadhound and Show on the Road mentioning some alternate routes out of or into Bodie, maybe in this thread? All in all, its a trip to photograph vintage aircraft but i'd like to make a little more than that.

Meanwhile, here are a few shots from a trip i took near Bridgeport last year to honor my Grandad who's ashes we buried at his favorite hunting spot known as "the Bowl" It was this very spot that we would hike to before it was light enough to shoot, he would always get real quiet and turn to me and say, "ok....keep your eyes peeled for deer", whispering as fog rolled out of his voice, man.....that's when my heart starts pounding, the anticipation of what we might see, knowing that a big shot would be ripping thru the silence at any moment.....sorry, waxing sentimental here. Anyway, the spot i speak of is a short hike off the road to Summers Meadows, which is a fork (to the west) off the Green Lakes Rd accessed from 395, just North of Willow Springs.

#1 on the road to the Bowl from Bishop

IMG_2723copy.jpg

#2 a spot both my grandads called Honeymoon Flats, this shot is looking west toward Summers Meadows

IMG_2772copy.jpg

#3 the Bowl

IMG_2804copy.jpg

#4 a marker along the hike to burial spot

IMG_2786copy.jpg

#5 heading east on Upper Summers Meadow Rd, Bodie Peak and Potato Peak on the horizon

IMG_2874copy.jpg

Now that i figger'd out how to post pics, i'll have to dig out a few more from my favorite stretch of HWY.....395 ;-)

See you in a couple weeks Rick

Sierra Fox out

Good Morning folks of the road!

Almost a year since i've traveled to Am Road. I'm getting geared up for another trip around the Sierra's (both sides East and West). My trip begins early Friday morning 4th Sept. driving straight thru to Nut Tree airport in Vacaville for the first annual California Mustang Gathering, where i will meet with Roadhound for a day or two.

Upon the conclusion of that show will head back to Sacramento to grab a buddy of mine and we will head to Yosimite early Monday morning for an all day photo shoot in the park. If there any suggestions on how to make the most of one day in Yosimite, i'm all for your idea's. I'm going to take the Big Oak Flat (120) route in and am wondering about a good photo spot for sunrise in the park? El Capitan maybe? Or head up Tioga to catch the sunrise? I realize this isnt a real spectacular journey, having spent 20 summers in Yosimite all thru my childhood, i'm a little foggy on the lesser know points of interest. Obviously i'll be checking Bridalveil, Glacier Point and Half Dome at various times of the day. Any thoughts are welcome ;-)

From Sacto i head to Paradise on the morning of the 8th to spend a day with my future ex inlaws, thinking of a possible quick scenic trip that day from Paradise. Then early Wednesday morning i'm taking HWY 70 to Stead NV for the Reno Air Races (where i will meet Roadhound again for a day or two). Once in Stead, i will remain until Monday 21 Sept.

After the races i take a long slow drive south on 395 all the way to Inyokern where i opt for the (14) route into SoCal. I'm hoping to make an interesting trip out the drive south from Reno. I've seen Bodie, Mono, Independence and most points of interest, but would like your input on some lesser known spots here as well. I was thinking Devils Postpile or Bristlecone Pines, havent been there in ages, even Bodie, and i recall Roadhound and Show on the Road mentioning some alternate routes out of or into Bodie, maybe in this thread? All in all, its a trip to photograph vintage aircraft but i'd like to make a little more than that.

Meanwhile, here are a few shots from a trip i took near Bridgeport last year to honor my Grandad who's ashes we buried at his favorite hunting spot known as "the Bowl" It was this very spot that we would hike to before it was light enough to shoot, he would always get real quiet and turn to me and say, "ok....keep your eyes peeled for deer", whispering as fog rolled out of his voice, man.....that's when my heart starts pounding, the anticipation of what we might see, knowing that a big shot would be ripping thru the silence at any moment.....sorry, waxing sentimental here. Anyway, the spot i speak of is a short hike off the road to Summers Meadows, which is a fork (to the west) off the Green Lakes Rd accessed from 395, just North of Willow Springs.

See you in a couple weeks Rick

Sierra Fox out

Sierra,

Looking forward to seeing you at the Mustang Gathering (P-51's not the Ford variety) at the Nut Tree in a couple of weeks.

Question for the US 40 experts: Was the Nut Tree in Vacaville California a known stop on US 40 or did it come after the interstate? I'm relatively sure that the "Milk Farm" whose remains lie 20 miles or so to the east was around when US 40 was still in existance.

I would suggest any sunrise shots that you wish to take near Yosemite be done on the east side of the park. You might get lucky around Tioga pass but I am partial to Mono Lake when it comes to sunrises but that could be a bit far for a one day trip. Keep the Show on the Road had some information on the old routes into the park on the west side that he may be willing to share again if you are interested and ask him nicely.

Keep The Show on the Road also has shared some 1920's era maps with the route around Conway Summit near Mono Lake that I can show you on a present day map when I see you. The road is not to bad, weather permitting, and you should be able to handle it in your van without knocking around the drywall tools too much.

See you soon!

Roadhound

Sierra,

Looking forward to seeing you at the Mustang Gathering (P-51's not the Ford variety) at the Nut Tree in a couple of weeks.

Question for the US 40 experts: Was the Nut Tree in Vacaville California a known stop on US 40 or did it come after the interstate? I'm relatively sure that the "Milk Farm" whose remains lie 20 miles or so to the east was around when US 40 was still in existance.

I would suggest any sunrise shots that you wish to take near Yosemite be done on the east side of the park. You might get lucky around Tioga pass but I am partial to Mono Lake when it comes to sunrises but that could be a bit far for a one day trip. Keep the Show on the Road had some information on the old routes into the park on the west side that he may be willing to share again if you are interested and ask him nicely.

Keep The Show on the Road also has shared some 1920's era maps with the route around Conway Summit near Mono Lake that I can show you on a present day map when I see you. The road is not to bad, weather permitting, and you should be able to handle it in your van without knocking around the drywall tools too much.

See you soon!

Roadhound

[/quote

Roadhound,

Cant wait to get on the road. Funny, right after i posted i thought Mono might be the answer, milage wise its not that bad, if we have weather to deal with it might be too much.

Would an atlas cover the roads you mention? I'll have my laptop and GPS too. BTW, are you just doing one day at Nut Tree?

If Show on the Road has some idea's i'd be most grateful also. I'm not afraid to beat up the van, its seen the last of the Armour All detailing, its now, officially a work van/camper.

Thanks

SF

Roadhound,

Cant wait to get on the road. Funny, right after i posted i thought Mono might be the answer, milage wise its not that bad, if we have weather to deal with it might be too much.

Would an atlas cover the roads you mention? I'll have my laptop and GPS too. BTW, are you just doing one day at Nut Tree?

If Show on the Road has some idea's i'd be most grateful also. I'm not afraid to beat up the van, its seen the last of the Armour All detailing, its now, officially a work van/camper.

Thanks

SF

SF,

One day for sure at Nut Tree, maybe two. I want to hang around until night starts to creep in to get some night time shots if I can. You know the type I am talking about.

Before you head out on the road pick yourself up a copy of the Delorme "Northern California Atlas & Gazetter" at your local Borders Books. I never hit the road without it. I can confirm that the original Bridgeport Canyon Road is shown on that map.

Another thought I had for you while you were in Paradise was a trip to Lassen. I went through their last week and it was absolutely spectacular. A sunrise shot taken at Lake Helen looking at Mt. Lassen might work out for you.

Shot below taken on the road (literally) near Lake Almanor on California Hwy 36. When I get the chance I should thank the photographer who gave me the idea. Notice that I left the bug splatter on the windshield to give it authenticity.

hwy36.jpg

Roadhound

SF,

One day for sure at Nut Tree, maybe two. I want to hang around until night starts to creep in to get some night time shots if I can. You know the type I am talking about.

Before you head out on the road pick yourself up a copy of the Delorme "Northern California Atlas & Gazetter" at your local Borders Books. I never hit the road without it. I can confirm that the original Bridgeport Canyon Road is shown on that map.

Another thought I had for you while you were in Paradise was a trip to Lassen. I went through their last week and it was absolutely spectacular. A sunrise shot taken at Lake Helen looking at Mt. Lassen might work out for you.

Shot below taken on the road (literally) near Lake Almanor on California Hwy 36. When I get the chance I should thank the photographer who gave me the idea. Notice that I left the bug splatter on the windshield to give it authenticity.

hwy36.jpg

Roadhound

WOW, thats really spectacular, i wish i could take credit for my version of that, it was done totally by accident, i switched from Tv mode to Av mode....dunno why......but i liked the result!!! Nicely done Hound!

This taken shortly after the gate at Tioga station

09GVwf022scr.jpg

Sierra Fox,

First let me apologize for being so slow to pick up on your exciting trip. I have an excuse, but I’ll spare you the details.

Do you want me to post here the 1917 ACSC strip map set for the east side of the Sierra from Big Pine to Carson City, and the Midland Trail set for the section Bishop and south? A lot has changed!

You probably know the east side better than I do, so the places I mention beyond those you note may be familiar.

South of Mono Lake:

I am always impressed with the view from Oh! Ridge of June Lake and the Sierra.

I like to stop at Tom’s Place because at least two years ago it was still a classic.

Convict Lake is a beautiful Sierra Nevada Lake you don’t have to hike to that has great picture opportunities.

The old road for many miles south of Monmouth to Bishop is a must drive, with beautiful vistas

The Manzanar internment camp (where we imprisoned American citizens of Japanese descent) just north of Independence is really evocative if you visit as the sun sets over the Sierra.

The Alabama Hills out of Lone Pine have wonderful shapes and are the site of many western movies.

A place I have never been, but which was a favorite of the Automobile Club of Southern California (ACSC) in the teens and 20’s is Red Rock Canyon. The road goes through the area so it will be hard to miss.

Beyond Mohave all is lost (statement of opinion) unless you take one of the lessor roads across the mountains into the LA basin.

A side trip I keep trying to get someone to take is to the Cerro Gordo Mine east of Owens Lake. The road goes out of Keeler. I first learned of the mine in 1955 when it appeared in a Sunset Discovery series story. I made two efforts to get there in the 1950’s, but the cars of the day were not up to the task. The automatic transmission on one (a 55 Chev) got so hot, the car wouldn’t move forward. I believe the road is much improved today. They even have a web site!!!!!

And Keeler is worth a drive through. Some great photo possibilities.

http://www.cerrogordo.us/

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road