American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Gang At The Garage... July 27

I dropped down to the American Road Garage this morning. I’ve been gone for about a week, and lots has been going on. The gang was all there. DennyG and our new friend FlossmoorLibrarian were talking over by the Coke machine about the Brian Butko, Michael Williamson book tour. Denny was buying, so RoadDog did a “Don’t mind if I do” and joined the group.

Hector_nec was telling the “youngins” about how it was to drive the old roads when they were new. Seems Hector drove old Route 66 when it was just US66. He’s warming up some recollections from the back burner and we are expecting some reports soon. In the meantime, he’s got his Hudson on the lube rack. Those Hudsons have the strangest locations for their zirks.

Rudkipon66 was showing his photos of the family trip between St Louis and New Mexico on old 66. DennyG shouted from across the lube bay that the Santa Fe write up and the terrific views of La Bajada were outstanding. Take a look for yourself

Mobilene was manning the upper island. Almost every customer that pulled in raved about his write up of the old National Road in Indiana and part of Illinois. Seems he has set the garage standard for describing the old alignments. Quite a writer and photographer when he’s not pumping 100 plus Ethyl.

Roadhound hasn’t been seen for days, not since he headed out for Utah last week. We figure he’s trying to find the Lincoln Highway.

Dave Reese was on the spark plug cleaner. Had to remind him to keep the plug firmly in the hole.....otherwise the cleaning grit flies out. But he’s a quick learner. We talked about his trip to Alexandria Bay, and his stay on the water front. Seems he was hob knobbing with the rich and famous. Something about castles....

Roadmaven was in the office making vague references to a Mohawk Trail trip. He had a Massachusetts map laid out on the desk and was mumbling something about fog and horseshoe curves.

Keep the Show on the Road (me) was just getting back from his 1500 mile Oregon US 20 and Old Oregon Trail Highway cruise. He picked up a couple of decals for his back seat window.

ARDecals.jpg

Keep said, “Hey, why doesn’t American Road Garage give out a sticker or decal?”

Roadmaven replied “Glad to see you back. The restrooms need cleaning. Don’t forget to shut off the light when you finish!”

You can fill the tank at the American Road Garage and meet the gang here any day. Join us any time you like.

Keep the Show on the Road

Roadhound hasn’t been seen for days, not since he headed out for Utah last week. We figure he’s trying to find the Lincoln Highway.

The Lincoln Highway was been found and I am happy to report that it is alive and well through Utah and Nevada.

I was especially impressed with Nevada and the way they have provided LH road markers along the route(s). We saw many of the concrete markers along US 50 as well as much newer, but smaller, markers of the 4 inch wide by 3 foot tall flexible type along the side of the road. There were also larger 12 x 18 inch roadsigns mounted on poles.

The Pony Express Trail through Utah is a dusty one but worth every mile of it. There was one 120 mile stretch from Simpson Springs, through Fish Spring, Ibapah, Tippets, to Schellbourne were we only passed 3 other cars. I think it was about as far away from civilization than I had ever been before. It gives one an appreciation of what the journey was like for early auto travelers (with the exception of air conditioning, more horsepower, more reliable vehicles, graded gravel roads, GPS...)

More stories and pictures to come once I get back home and have a chance to go through and process all the pictures I took during the journey.

A road weary roadhound

Looking forward to the photos, Roadhound. This isn't the first time I've heard that Nevada does a nice job of marking the old roads.

You all are making me want to bust out of Indiana and see more of this country.

My US 31 trip was scuttled, by the way. We'll be rescheduling it.

And I'm toying, just toying, with making a trip to Hoboken this fall to visit an old friend, and then going to Atlantic City and driving US 40 all the way home.

jim

Well it appears that Roadhound survived the desert crossing. Good to have you check in! He is now an expert on the western Utah and the Nevada sections of the Lincoln. Plus he is now seeped in Pony Express lore. The gang at the American Road Garage and lots of drive throughs are eagerly awaiting the photos and stories! Oh, the joy of the road!

And Mobilene has come in off the pump islands to report that while he won’t be making his US 31 trip, his road lust is growing.

I suppose I should describe the American Road garage for those who haven’t yet joined the gang here.

The American Road Garage is a typical 1950’s service station. There are two pump islands. Each island has two pumps, one for “Regular” and the other for “Premium.” Premium is 100+ octane for our high compression engines and “regular’ runs at about 87 octane. Regular is 32 cents a gallon, and Premium is 36 cents a gallon.

When you look at a pump island head on, there are air and water hoses at both ends, the two pumps, and between them the oil rack with its cans of oil. At the end of the island nearest the station the cash drawer is hung on the post that holds up one side of the canopy. On the other side of the pole is hung the windshield paper towel dispenser and the spray bottles of windshield cleaner

Looking at the garage head on, to the left is the office and the inside cash machine. In that window you’ll see the map rack and usually a Tire Sale sign. Tires are always “on sale.” So are batteries. The station has two bays. The bay nearest the office has the hydraulic lube rack we use to hoist cars up for lube and oil changes. The second bay is used to wash cars, or to perform the repairs we do.

Between the bays inside are the bulk oil pump, spark plug cleaner, tire mounting machine, and a row of cabinets where we keep our towels, tire patches, and other supplies. At the far back of the bay hang the fan belts and in a cabinet where we store the radiator caps and gas caps.

The wheeled cart that the 50 gallon lube oil drum sits on is usually rolled to the back near the belts, unless it is in use as we lube a car. The lube gun is connected by hose to the air compressor that also provides the pressure to lift the lube rack.

The second bay has a rack overhead its full length where we store the tires for sale. We have rayon, and nylon casings for sale. Many tires still require tubes, but with the right rims we are also selling and mounting the tubeless tires.

We “vulcanize” our tube repairs. Vulcanizing amounts to spreading glue on the tube over the hole, lighting it on fire, putting a patch on the still hot surface, and putting the tube and patch under a small press. Now you too can “vulcanize” a patch!

The boss and his wife run a tight ship. We are expected to wear the station uniform and cap, with insignia on the sleeve and cap. It is to be washed and pressed. When a customer comes in, we don’t walk to the car, we run or jog. The opening question is “Fill er up with Premium?

We have gotten to be pretty savvy about finding gas caps, inside tail light housings, behind license plates, in the luggage compartment, you name it. We crank the handle on the pump half back full forward to set the counter back to zero, and start the gas.

We take two paper towels and the spray bottle and head for the windshield. Full service is not about service, but about sales. Wash the windshield and lift the wiper blades. Any sign of wear. “Time for new blades, maam” Do you want the delux or standard?

No sale? Open the hood. Check the dip stick. Time for an oil change by the looks of the oil. “Maam, may I check the door sticker, it looks like you need the 1000 mile change. The lube rack is open. We can have her done in 20 minutes.”

Still no sale. This is a hard sell! Check the fan belts Worn or frayed?. Check the water level in the battery, take out the air cleaner. Walk over to the island and thump it in the concrete. Impressive cloud of dust! “I can change that filter for you is a minute!” Check the radiator water. Rubber on the radiator cap seal look worn? Try to sell a cap. Water rusty....time for a flush and antifreeze change.

Full service. Ha Ha.

Maybe I’ll describe the lube process later.

Keep the Show on the Road!.

Well it appears that Roadhound survived the desert crossing. Good to have you check in! He is now an expert on the western Utah and the Nevada sections of the Lincoln. Plus he is now seeped in Pony Express lore. The gang at the American Road Garage and lots of drive throughs are eagerly awaiting the photos and stories! Oh, the joy of the road!

And Mobilene has come in off the pump islands to report that while he won’t be making his US 31 trip, his road lust is growing.

I suppose I should describe the American Road garage for those who haven’t yet joined the gang here.

The American Road Garage is a typical 1950’s service station. There are two pump islands. Each island has two pumps, one for “Regular” and the other for “Premium.” Premium is 100+ octane for our high compression engines and “regular’ runs at about 87 octane. Regular is 32 cents a gallon, and Premium is 36 cents a gallon.

When you look at a pump island head on, there are air and water hoses at both ends, the two pumps, and between them the oil rack with its cans of oil. At the end of the island nearest the station the cash drawer is hung on the post that holds up one side of the canopy. On the other side of the pole is hung the windshield paper towel dispenser and the spray bottles of windshield cleaner

Looking at the garage head on, to the left is the office and the inside cash machine. In that window you’ll see the map rack and usually a Tire Sale sign. Tires are always “on sale.” So are batteries. The station has two bays. The bay nearest the office has the hydraulic lube rack we use to hoist cars up for lube and oil changes. The second bay is used to wash cars, or to perform the repairs we do.

Between the bays inside are the bulk oil pump, spark plug cleaner, tire mounting machine, and a row of cabinets where we keep our towels, tire patches, and other supplies. At the far back of the bay hang the fan belts and in a cabinet where we store the radiator caps and gas caps.

The wheeled cart that the 50 gallon lube oil drum sits on is usually rolled to the back near the belts, unless it is in use as we lube a car. The lube gun is connected by hose to the air compressor that also provides the pressure to lift the lube rack.

The second bay has a rack overhead its full length where we store the tires for sale. We have rayon, and nylon casings for sale. Many tires still require tubes, but with the right rims we are also selling and mounting the tubeless tires.

We “vulcanize” our tube repairs. Vulcanizing amounts to spreading glue on the tube over the hole, lighting it on fire, putting a patch on the still hot surface, and putting the tube and patch under a small press. Now you too can “vulcanize” a patch!

The boss and his wife run a tight ship. We are expected to wear the station uniform and cap, with insignia on the sleeve and cap. It is to be washed and pressed. When a customer comes in, we don’t walk to the car, we run or jog. The opening question is “Fill er up with Premium?

We have gotten to be pretty savvy about finding gas caps, inside tail light housings, behind license plates, in the luggage compartment, you name it. We crank the handle on the pump half back full forward to set the counter back to zero, and start the gas.

We take two paper towels and the spray bottle and head for the windshield. Full service is not about service, but about sales. Wash the windshield and lift the wiper blades. Any sign of wear. “Time for new blades, maam” Do you want the delux or standard?

No sale? Open the hood. Check the dip stick. Time for an oil change by the looks of the oil. “Maam, may I check the door sticker, it looks like you need the 1000 mile change. The lube rack is open. We can have her done in 20 minutes.”

Still no sale. This is a hard sell! Check the fan belts Worn or frayed?. Check the water level in the battery, take out the air cleaner. Walk over to the island and thump it in the concrete. Impressive cloud of dust! “I can change that filter for you is a minute!” Check the radiator water. Rubber on the radiator cap seal look worn? Try to sell a cap. Water rusty....time for a flush and antifreeze change.

Full service. Ha Ha.

Maybe I’ll describe the lube process later.

Keep the Show on the Road!.

Down Maine there's towns around that have only one gas station, if that. In many small towns the gas pump is outside the general store.

Go inside and you'll find a bunch of the boys sitting around the old pot bellied stove, in season - which is usually October to May - swapping lies and discussing the state of the nation. Along the coast you'll find most of these old timers were fisherman; inland maybe farmers or loggers. Whatever the occupation these old boys have seen a lifetime and have a philosophy about life that we'll never see the likes of again. "Old Ed died last night." "Is that right." "Going to his funeral?" "Why?? He ain't comin' ta mine, now, chummy!"

If there is a gas staton in town, you'll probably find a small building with one gas pump outside. Just like Mr. Ford and his "any color Model T you want, as long as it's black", we sell "any grade of gas you need", as long as it's regular!!

Now, my friend, if you need repairs, yep, young Tommy over here (all of 15) can fix most anything - might have to send down to Portland (or maybe over to Bangor, depending on where you're at) to get the parts. Gonna take a day or two - the Greyhound bus only comes thru every other day, and she came thru this mawnin'. (Downeasters talk a little funny). But, sir, you can stay over to Miss Molly's boarding house - nice clean rooms for $1 a night, and for 25 cents a day extra she'll stuff breakfast and supper into you. Puts out a spread you'll just want to tuck right into.

Life was slower and much simpler back in the 30's. Trouble was Maine, at that time, didn't have to many good, improved roads. But, with a little effort, 'tween the end of May and the first snow fall, you could get there from here. Just don't try it in January - 'cause there ain't no road plows. Why, I 'member one of them trucking companies down Portland way, think it was Mr. Merrill, putting out a call one January day for men to come shovel the road out between Bangor and Houlton, so his trucks could get thru. Money was real scarce in rural Maine in the 1930's. They say men came from 25 and 30 miles just to shovel the road out for $1.25 an hour - brought some of their boys with 'em - well, chummy, I'll tell you - if that lad can keep up with the men, we'll pay him $1.50 too.

Hey, Eben, toss another chunk o' wood in that there stove and I'll tell you about the time I run my Model A into Widow Thompsons chicken coop.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Alex,

Now that was a masterly description!! And I appreciate the spirit.

I hope you will spin a few more tales at the American Road Garage. We haven’t got the pot belly stove cranked up yet, but as you know, we hang out around the old GE fan with the black crinkly finish on hot days.

You are a Hudson man. I recall them as having their zirks in unexpected places. When we’d get one on the rack, it was like a little treasure hunt to find the fittings. Of course, we could have looked at the master lube guide, but that would have spoiled the fun. In the end we had to, so that we were sure we didn’t miss one.

Toss in any road recollections, like the one you just did, and let’s see if we can loosen up the rest of the gang as well.

Keep the Show on the Road

When you look at a pump island head on, there are air and water hoses at both ends, the two pumps, and between them the oil rack with its cans of oil. At the end of the island nearest the station the cash drawer is hung ...

Although I am a little young to remember the garage that you describe your presentation did a masterful job of painting the picture for me. Thank you.

BTW, does this garage have a place where I can wash my car? It got a little dusty. I'd even settle for the local high school charity car wash.

This was on day 2, before the Pony Express\Lincoln Highway drive.

dirty_tundra.jpg

Ah, yes, the Rickmobile with a fine coat of road dust...I bet she never looked better! Yes, we wash cars, usually in bay 2 because there is a drain in the floor and a water facet beside the bay door. But I don’t need to tell one of the American Road garage gang that!

Most of the gang is huddled around the radio waiting for your first report to come on the air. Hector_nec is sitting in his chair under the new tires overhead rack, spinning a yarn, Mobilene is bragging about backing up a mile, and Jennifer and Roadmaven took the fan into the office and are counting the day’s receipts. I’m preparing day two of the great sandy desert run along US20.

Nothing much else is happening. Jennifer just ran across the road and bought donuts at the Donut Shop for all of us, and Sid who runs the Chevron down the street came by to see if we had two nylon white walls to fit a 51 chev as he only had two, and sold four. Funny, but we help each other like that...after all, we're neighbors.

Thanks for the photo and update!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Ah, yes, the Rickmobile with a fine coat of road dust...I bet she never looked better! Yes, we wash cars, usually in bay 2 because there is a drain in the floor and a water facet beside the bay door. But I don’t need to tell one of the American Road garage gang that!

Most of the gang is huddled around the radio waiting for your first report to come on the air. Hector_nec is sitting in his chair under the new tires overhead rack, spinning a yarn, Mobilene is bragging about backing up a mile, and Jennifer and Roadmaven took the fan into the office and are counting the day’s receipts. I’m preparing day two of the great sandy desert run along US20.

Nothing much else is happening. Jennifer just ran across the road and bought donuts at the Donut Shop for all of us, and Sid who runs the Chevron down the street came by to see if we had two nylon white walls to fit a 51 chev as he only had two, and sold four. Funny, but we help each other like that...after all, we're neighbors.

Thanks for the photo and update!

By the way, that should be "hester_nec", not "hector_nec" - and before you ask. Back in the 70's I wrote up a lot of New England Hudson Chapter meets. I decided I needed a pen name for those write-ups. So I came up with Aunt Hester (translation - 'H' - Hudson; 'ES' - Essex; 'TER' - Terraplane -- for Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club. Oh, the nec? That's easy - New England Chapter. Of course I didn't use the by-line "Aunt Hester - NEC", simply Aunt Hester.

I guess I did a good job thinking up the character. About 49% of the club members thought is was made up; 49% swore there was an Aunt Hester, and a few even claimed they had met her; the other 2% didn't have a clue. :D LOL

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

I will be heading down PA 100 on Saturday to nearby Macungie on Saturday for Das Awkscht Fescht. I will try to have some photos of the event, and maybe even a through the windscreen shot on the way. "Fagin" is looking for a good time in public.

I will be heading down PA 100 on Saturday to nearby Macungie on Saturday for Das Awkscht Fescht. I will try to have some photos of the event, and maybe even a through the windscreen shot on the way. "Fagin" is looking for a good time in public.

That’s great news, Dave! A couple of shots at driver’s eye level over the wheel...that’s what we want from a guy driving a TR3B! Did we miss something? Fagin? Is that the Triumph?

Now that you have cleaned the plugs, that baby should hum all the way. Top down, I hope!

I just “drove” 100 out of Allentown to Macungie. The corn is up about 2/3 up along the way.

When I got into Macungie, I noted a Subway at the corner of 100 (Main Street) and Chestnut (across the street from the blue and red AC Delco sign). I guess they are everywhere.

Quite a few houses along Main are built right up to the sidewalk. That isn’t something I see in the west. There is quite a crowd. I even see the Macungie Boy Scout Troop 71 has signs out for parking! There are traffic cops at each intersection directing traffic. It must draw quite an affair!

Since I can’t stop and go inside, what is the Macungie Posey Patch in the red building with the white trim? A restaurant? It looks like everyone in town has stuff up for sale. Like a big garage sale!

Those of us who have to stay home this weekend will look forward to your report!

That’s great news, Dave! A couple of shots at driver’s eye level over the wheel...that’s what we want from a guy driving a TR3B! Did we miss something? Fagin? Is that the Triumph?

Ah yes, I have named my Little British Car Fagin as, though he is a good sort, he has been known to pick the change out of my pockets whenever we visit the local Sports Car Restoration shop. I do have a passenger going with me to the show, so he will be given my camera to take a few photos from the inside of the car.

And the top will be down, as I have not yet actually ever put it up. I have no side curtains, so I guess that a top would be of less purpose, and when I just did a rough fitting onto the car, it made me feel claustrophobic.