American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Kip, Quinn And Natalie's Route 66 Adventure

Hello:

Quinn, Natalie and I took a trip to Clinton OK in June to the Route 66 Festival, and after that, trekked Route 66 to Santa Fe, NM...wanted to share our travels with you all, as it was a GREAT trip, we saw a lot of wonderful things, met (and caught up with) a lot of wonderful people, and really got a chance to catch up with ourselves, we got a way from the day by day grudgeries of life and followed the creed of Route 66 travel: it ain't getting there that matters as much as what you see and do along the way! We hope that our travelogue is not too cumbersome (the pics and words are in chronological order), and hope you all enjoy it! Tsingtao, Kip, Quinn and Natalie Kay

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/rudkipon66

Enjoy! Tsingtao, Kip

Hello:

Quinn, Natalie and I took a trip to Clinton OK in June to the Route 66 Festival, and after that, trekked Route 66 to Santa Fe, NM...wanted to share our travels with you all, as it was a GREAT trip, we saw a lot of wonderful things, met (and caught up with) a lot of wonderful people, and really got a chance to catch up with ourselves, we got a way from the day by day grudgeries of life and followed the creed of Route 66 travel: it ain't getting there that matters as much as what you see and do along the way! We hope that our travelogue is not too cumbersome (the pics and words are in chronological order), and hope you all enjoy it! Tsingtao, Kip, Quinn and Natalie Kay

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/rudkipon66

Enjoy! Tsingtao, Kip

Great show, Kip. I am so enjoying these 66 road trip stories that keep coming up seemingly everywhere. Slowly, but very slowly, I'm beginning to remember some of the things we saw on our trip on 66 from Illinois to California - in 1953!!!! Yeah, I'm nearly 70, that was over 50 years ago, and things change so much it's hard to remember things.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

We hope that our travelogue is not too cumbersome...

Not the least bit cumbersome. Very nicely done, in fact. It took me four sessions to get through it but they were four very enjoyable sessions. I've never been on either the Jericho Gap or La Bajada so was particularly interested in those sections. The La Bajada pictures show not only the scary and deteriorating "roadway" but the surrounding country, too. Well done! Bravo! You also gave me a better feeling toward Santa Fe than I've had. I've only been through there once and left with the impressions that it was a place with no parking, lots of overpriced restaurants and galleries, and a formidable zoning commission. I either missed or ignored the small motels and their neon that you shot on Cerrillos. Maybe I will give it another chance.

I really enjoyed the photos and descriptions. There were so many great images; it would take weeks to comment on them. I especially enjoyed those in and around Santa Fe. We were there last winter but had to leave early to beat an incoming snow storm.

I want to second DennyG's comments about Santa Fe. I confess i didn't see it as clearly as you did, and owe it another visit.

Your shots of La Bajada were great. The road down that grade must have terrified a few folks! I have seen it in old post cards, and your photos really added to my appreciation of that alignment! The shot of the old motor court and bridge were the icing on the cake!

As a guy who probably is not going to walk up and down that grade without having a heart attack, and recognizing the road conditions you show, what can you access with a passenger car?

Thanks for sharing a great trip with the gang!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Great show, Kip. I am so enjoying these 66 road trip stories that keep coming up seemingly everywhere. Slowly, but very slowly, I'm beginning to remember some of the things we saw on our trip on 66 from Illinois to California - in 1953!!!! Yeah, I'm nearly 70, that was over 50 years ago, and things change so much it's hard to remember things.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr