American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Off Us20 - Century Drive

Sunday’s drive was mostly to get to my destination, Bend, Oregon. I met my son for lunch, then we decided to take a section of Century Drive to the ski area around Mt Bachelor and the high lakes of the Cascades. The road is about the same as it was in 1970, but the Sunday visitors to the high lakes corresponds to the population increase in the area. What hadn’t changed was the beauty of the high country.

ARCentury.jpg

I have time this evening to post just one photo we took this afternoon, but it will help explain the growth of Bend from what it was when I lived there in the 1960’s and 1970’s to today.... a seven fold increase in population.

Tomorrow we will take US20 east from Bend into the High Desert country, skirt Horse Ridge to the south on the old dirt alignment, and rejoin the paved US20 at Millican. Then on to the hamlets of Brothers and Hampton. This was homestead country in the teens when the roads were built, but they never prospered and all that is left are a few outposts that live off the occasional car along a road section that is lonelier than the Loneliest Road in America.

Keep the Show on the Road