American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Trivia Question

Was doing some research today and ran across this item - so I turned it into a trivia question.

At one time two, and only two, U S marked highways had to use a ferry. Which two were they??

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

I am sure that one is the National Road, US 40 at the Delaware River (I believe), so I will guess Lincoln Highway for the other before the tunnels opened.

I am sure that one is the National Road, US 40 at the Delaware River (I believe), so I will guess Lincoln Highway for the other before the tunnels opened.

Ok, you're halfway there - one of the routes did use a ferry in Delaware, but it was further south.

Here's another hint - the route numbers follow each other in sequence, ie, 1, 2 or 15, 16

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Ok, you're halfway there - one of the routes did use a ferry in Delaware, but it was further south.

Here's another hint - the route numbers follow each other in sequence, ie, 1, 2 or 15, 16

Mr. Hudson,

Is there a time frame here?

In George Stewart's US 40 book he said that the Delaware River bridge was not yet open in 1950 and a ferry was still used. Is the second one in the same time frame?

Mr. Hudson,

Is there a time frame here?

In George Stewart's US 40 book he said that the Delaware River bridge was not yet open in 1950 and a ferry was still used. Is the second one in the same time frame?

The other one is still using the ferry - so far your in the right area for one of them, but it wasn't that ferry. :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

I think the Delaware comments and the sequential number clue knock this out but my first thought was US-80 at Yuma so I'll blurt it out anyway.

U S 80 is NOT one of them.

If nobody figures it out by tomorrow I'll let everybody know.

Hudsonly,

Alex B

The other one is still using the ferry - so far your in the right area for one of them, but it wasn't that ferry. :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

U S 80 is NOT one of them.

If nobody figures it out by tomorrow I'll let everybody know.

Hudsonly,

Alex B

I'm pretty sure you're looking for U.S. 9 between Cape May, N.J., and Delaware and U.S. 10 between Ludington, Mich., and Manitowoc, Wisc., both of which are still routed across ferries.

Routing U.S. highways across ferries was, of course, very common during the early years of the system (and somewhat common until the 1950s or 1960s, at least, where a long bridge crossing would have been required, such as U.S. 13 in Va. and U.S. 16 over Lake Michigan). Only until the 1970s (I think) were U.S. 9 and 10 the _only_ U.S. highways that were routed over ferries.

This probably doesn't count, but U.S. 90 between Bay St. Louis and Pass Christian, Miss., had a ferry routing for a time between Hurricane Katrina and the reopening of the new bridge over St. Louis Bay.

I'm pretty sure you're looking for U.S. 9 between Cape May, N.J., and Delaware and U.S. 10 between Ludington, Mich., and Manitowoc, Wisc., both of which are still routed across ferries.

Routing U.S. highways across ferries was, of course, very common during the early years of the system (and somewhat common until the 1950s or 1960s, at least, where a long bridge crossing would have been required, such as U.S. 13 in Va. and U.S. 16 over Lake Michigan). Only until the 1970s (I think) were U.S. 9 and 10 the _only_ U.S. highways that were routed over ferries.

This probably doesn't count, but U.S. 90 between Bay St. Louis and Pass Christian, Miss., had a ferry routing for a time between Hurricane Katrina and the reopening of the new bridge over St. Louis Bay.

CONGRATULATIONS :D to cityboy1986 - the two routes were 9 and 10.

Now, can somebody else come up with another trivia question??

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

CONGRATULATIONS :D to cityboy1986 - the two routes were 9 and 10.

Now, can somebody else come up with another trivia question??

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Alex,

I have to come up with the Trivia Questions for the Newsletter, so, I'll leave that to you and others on the Forum. However, I liked your question. And, am impressed with seeing the correct answer from citybo1986. So, I will donate a prize for this contest. Cityboy1986 - please contact me and I'll provide you with a list of prizes from which you may choose one.

Dream well and drive safely on the American Road!

:D

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

Alex,

I have to come up with the Trivia Questions for the Newsletter, so, I'll leave that to you and others on the Forum. However, I liked your question. And, am impressed with seeing the correct answer from citybo1986. So, I will donate a prize for this contest. Cityboy1986 - please contact me and I'll provide you with a list of prizes from which you may choose one.

Dream well and drive safely on the American Road!

:D

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

Thank you Becky - it was just a spur of the moment thing that I just tossed out to see what would come up!! Maybe somebody else will supply you with another trivia question.

Congratulations to citybo1986 - American Road has some wonderful prizes. (I ought to know - at one time I think I cleaned up most of them!!!!!! LOL)

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr