American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

As You Like It...viewer Survey

What do you want to see and read here?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What road trip subjects are you most interested in reading about or seeing on the forum?

• Natural features (e.g. waterfalls, rivers, beaches)
    • People associated with the road
    • Roadside artifacts, historical sites (e.g. bridges, buildings, battle sites)
    • Roadside attractions (e.g. diners, tourist attractions, museums)
    • Old alignments (e.g. old road bed, brick road)
    • I like them all about the same
    • Other (post your suggestions
  2. 2. How do you prefer photos be presented?

• Embedded in the story so they show up as I read the text
    • Posted only in the gallery
    • As links I can click to view
    • As thumbnails in the story I can click to view
    • Other (please post your comment)
  3. 3. What would prompt you to reply to a trip write up?

• Share your trip or similar experience
    • A chance to win a small prize (e.g. vintage map, T shirt)
    • A question posed in the story
    • Your appreciation of the author?s effort
    • Nothing, I just enjoy looking at the posts.
    • Other (please post a comment)

A few of us are sitting around the air conditioner here at the American Road Garage discussing what forum members like to see in a post. Some of us are hitting the old two lane roads in the next couple of weeks. Help us bring back what most interests you by responding to the survey.

A few of us are sitting around the air conditioner here at the American Road Garage discussing what forum members like to see in a post. Some of us are hitting the old two lane roads in the next couple of weeks. Help us bring back what most interests you by responding to the survey.

I am on the verge of posting my brief Alexandria Bay experiences, even though it is not from any of the major old highways (although US 11 runs close), but I realize that I do not have a clue on the thumbnail approach. Right now I am set up to post it as having links to the photos imbeded, plus a link to the entire off site photo library. Any quick and easy way to change this after proofreading and before posting?

Dave,

I would not suggest you change what you have already done. However, the forum software does provide for including attachments wherein you can place thumbnails in the story where the photo goes,and the software easily uploads your photos (oh, joy!!)

Invision (the forum software providers) made it easy to do (see my Columbia River Highway post) but were chincy on storage. The result is a great, useful, and efficient feature Invision has provided that is inadequately implemented by their hosting service (in my opinion). You will run out of storage quickly.

THe AR folks have tried to work around the limitations as best they can, but at the root of the problem is Invision's stingy storage provisions, at their hosting end. So that no one thinks I'm down on Invision, I'm not. They have an excellet product, but their hosting service is not thinking in terms of a photo rich forum. Too bad, because it severly limits the application of their excellent software in settings where images are important.

By the way, if anyone has a different view, or if I'm wrong, wade in!

That's my tirade for today!

Keep the Show on the Road.