American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Photos And The Law

DennyG and I were wondering about whether we need photo or model releases for the photos we post.

I found a legal answer that I can understand, and it comes from an expert. It is at Outdoor Photographer Magazine’s web site in an article written by Bob Kirst:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/content...releaseme.shtml.

It is a short and clear article. The source book is Photographer’s Legal Guide (www.photoattorney.com, 125 pages, $19). Written by attorney and photographer Carolyn Wright

My summary is not legal advice, but I interpret the article above to say that editorial use of images (as in a post) is OK without a release. If you make commercial use of the image....as say you sell one of your photos with my face in it and it is used to advertise bug repellant....without a release, I might successfully sue you.

Simple and sweet. But read the article or the book.

I’d like to pose the question of “What you do to get good people shots on your road trips”

Keep the Show on the Road

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

DennyG and I were wondering about whether we need photo or model releases for the photos we post.

I found a legal answer that I can understand, and it comes from an expert. It is at Outdoor Photographer Magazine’s web site in an article written by Bob Kirst:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/content...releaseme.shtml.

It is a short and clear article. The source book is Photographer’s Legal Guide (www.photoattorney.com, 125 pages, $19). Written by attorney and photographer Carolyn Wright

My summary is not legal advice, but I interpret the article above to say that editorial use of images (as in a post) is OK without a release. If you make commercial use of the image....as say you sell one of your photos with my face in it and it is used to advertise bug repellant....without a release, I might successfully sue you.

Simple and sweet. But read the article or the book.

I’d like to pose the question of “What you do to get good people shots on your road trips”

Keep the Show on the Road

Your interpration of the article is correct. If the photos of a person is going to be used in an editorial way, such as posting on a message board, you do not need a release. If you use the image to sell a product then yes, a release is necessary. This has been confirmed a number of times in the courts.

What do I do to get good people shots on my road trips? Keep people out of them J/K :D

The people shots I generally take on a road trip are of my family which I try to keep off of the internet as much as possible. I get a lot of duds but every once in a while you catch them in a candid moment and get a good shot. I also have them pose and smile in front of something too, just to prove they were there with me. I try to keep people that I don't know out of my pictures which is not hard to do if you go to places that most people wouldn't bother going to.

Rick

That article was actually understandable and having Rick vouch for it helps. It answered my questions so well that it makes buying the book seem unnecessary. Not its intent, I'm sure. Of course, I may buy it anyway since there are certainly questions and variations that I haven't even thought of yet. Good find.