American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

1000 Great Members And One Old Grump

Our faithful and energetic moderators can only do so much. If we want this forum to continue to prosper and grow we need to pitch in on the grunt work as well as the fun. Become part of the team, so to speak. The question is “How can we help?”

It isn’t just the great information that is posted here that attracts people. It is the active interchange and sharing among members that makes a forum different than a good book or magazine.

There is a sign outside Gila Bend on the Old Spanish Trail in Arizona that says something to the effect that “We have 1000 great folks here, and one old grump.” We have many great members here and I haven’t met the old grump! How can we use our members themselves to further grow the forum?

Ideas, suggestions, offers to assist...?

Moderators, what say ye? Where could you use some help or assistance?

Keep the Show on the Road!

Our faithful and energetic moderators can only do so much. If we want this forum to continue to prosper and grow we need to pitch in on the grunt work as well as the fun. Become part of the team, so to speak. The question is “How can we help?”

It isn’t just the great information that is posted here that attracts people. It is the active interchange and sharing among members that makes a forum different than a good book or magazine.

There is a sign outside Gila Bend on the Old Spanish Trail in Arizona that says something to the effect that “We have 1000 great folks here, and one old grump.” We have many great members here and I haven’t met the old grump! How can we use our members themselves to further grow the forum?

Ideas, suggestions, offers to assist...?

Moderators, what say ye? Where could you use some help or assistance?

Keep the Show on the Road!

You has met the "grump!!" LOL ROF

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Hi.

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you regarding your question. But, I wanted to have a conversation with Pat and Jennifer so that we could have a brainstorming session to try to figure out where we really need some assistance. We talked for a few hours last night. Below, you will find our help 'wish list.'

1) Two or three individuals to serve on a welcoming committee of sorts (the concept was actually brought up by you, "Keep the Show on the Road." And, we are very much in favor. The folks on this committee would attempt to ensure that anyone new who posts receives positive reinforcement/feedback on their first few posts.

2) Assistance with the technical aspects of running the Forum. Sometimes we encounter technical challenges that someone else with technical savvy may already know how to address. We could use a volunteer or two whom we can contact to troubleshoot issues.

3)A few more individuals to volunteer to moderate some of the topics that do not have an assigned moderator.

4) Help spreading the word about American Road & the American Road Forum. This could be done in multiple ways - in addition to ways members have already mentioned (eg. giving gift subscriptions, etc. - which we definitely appreciate!):

a) Forum members could post something positive about the American Road Forum on other appropriate Forums - maybe once a week.

b)Send an e-postcard from your American Road Forum gallery to family & friends.

c)Forward the American Road e-newsletter to a friend who might enjoy it.

d)Add a link to the American Road website and forum. We do have a resources on our website and if a website meets the guidelines - we'll gladly post a reciprocal link.

5)Ideas for additional contests on the Forum.

6)Volunteer to host a chat, offer suggestions for chat topics, or give us ideas for guests.

We may come up with more ideas - but, we thought this was a good start! We look forward to hearing your feedback.

Best,

Becky

I’m glad you folks took the time to put your heads together. That is a fine list. I think I could help with any that don’t require expertise!

If we enjoy this forum, I think we should be willing to put in a little effort to add to its continued success. So:

Sign me up for the welcoming committee. I will make it a practice to compliment and encourage new members.

I will send friends the e-magazine

I will host a chat (I suggest that it might be best to schedule at least one at a regular time each week or month so folks know when to drop in).

I’m game to take on a moderator’s role on one of the sections if someone explains what it requires I do. One that looks open is Other Roadside Businesses, which is one of my personal interests.

In addition to your list, I will make it a practice when I contact AR advertisers to tell them I saw them in American Road, and do the same when I stop at one. When I stop at a place that should advertise in AR, I will suggest they do so, (making it clear I don’t represent AR in any way other than as a happy subscriber myself.)

Lets Keep the Show on the Road!

PS I suggest you post the list as a new topic with an appropriate title so it gets attention.

Thanks so much! You have an awesome site. You take some incredible photos.

:D

Becky

Thank You very much Becky. I sincerely appreciate the compliment. Photography is my passion and I hope that everyone has enjoyed some of the photos that I have posted on this board. I also hope the link on my website sends a few visitors your way.

I was going to volunteer to be the moderator for one of the web pages, Bridges & Tunnels maybe, but would like to know if I need to be a subject matter expert in the area or just a sheriff to keep the peace?

BTW, when should I expect to see the first issue of my subscription? I've read the reviews and am looking forward to reading the articles.

Rick the roadhound

Thank You very much Becky. I sincerely appreciate the compliment. Photography is my passion and I hope that everyone has enjoyed some of the photos that I have posted on this board. I also hope the link on my website sends a few visitors your way.

I was going to volunteer to be the moderator for one of the web pages, Bridges & Tunnels maybe, but would like to know if I need to be a subject matter expert in the area or just a sheriff to keep the peace?

BTW, when should I expect to see the first issue of my subscription? I've read the reviews and am looking forward to reading the articles.

Rick the roadhound

Rick,

I know that I've enjoyed the photos that you've posted very much!

Don't hesitate to volunteer to be a moderator. We'd love to have you do so! Moderators don't need to be subject experts in the area they offer to moderate -- just being someone interested in that topic qualifies you. A moderator's duty includes - and I believe that Pat and Jennifer have a more 'formal' description: a) Try to keep discussion going in that Forum (keep an eye out for news on that subject and post something maybe once/month minimum on that topic). B) Make sure the speed limits/guidelines are followed and if they aren't either 1) address the issue if comfortable doing so, or 2) notify Pat, Jennifer, or myself. c) Promoting the American Road® Forum.

That said, I think you'd be a great moderator for Bridges and Tunnels - we can have Pat and Jennifer set you up right away. Thanks for volunteering!

And, to answer your question regarding your first issue of your subscription - your issue is scheduled to mail with the second mailing of the Summer 07 issue (in the second half of July). I checked our records and it looks like we received your subscription on the 6th of June (the cutoff for the initial mailing of the Summer issue was roughly one week prior to that).

Let me know if I may answer any other questions.

:D Becky

I’m glad you folks took the time to put your heads together. That is a fine list. I think I could help with any that don’t require expertise!

If we enjoy this forum, I think we should be willing to put in a little effort to add to its continued success. So:

Sign me up for the welcoming committee. I will make it a practice to compliment and encourage new members.

Excellent! You're the first on the committee. We'll look forward to seeing one or two additional members.

I will send friends the e-magazine

Thanks - that's Great!

I will host a chat (I suggest that it might be best to schedule at least one at a regular time each week or month so folks know when to drop in).

It would be great if you could host a chat. We do have an on-line chat schedule. Pat and Jennifer had discussed that at one point - the issue is finding a time suitable for everyone. It might be that we want to consider rotating the days of the week (e.g. pick one week out of the month for the chat night -- then rotate days of the week so that different people have an opportunity to participate depending upon their schedules/committments.) Thoughts anyone?

I’m game to take on a moderator’s role on one of the sections if someone explains what it requires I do. One that looks open is Other Roadside Businesses, which is one of my personal interests.

Great. See my reply to roadhound re: a moderator's duties.

In addition to your list, I will make it a practice when I contact AR advertisers to tell them I saw them in American Road, and do the same when I stop at one. When I stop at a place that should advertise in AR, I will suggest they do so, (making it clear I don’t represent AR in any way other than as a happy subscriber myself.)

Absolutely fabulous! :-) Thank you so much.

Lets Keep the Show on the Road!

PS I suggest you post the list as a new topic with an appropriate title so it gets attention.

That said, I think you'd be a great moderator for Bridges and Tunnels - we can have Pat and Jennifer set you up right away. Thanks for volunteering!

:D Becky

I accept the position. Looks like I have my work cut out for me since their hasn't been a post on that forum since mid-November.

Rick the Bridgehound

I accept the position. Looks like I have my work cut out for me since their hasn't been a post on that forum since mid-November.

Rick the Bridgehound

Outstanding! We'll be here to support you & will look forward to you jump starting some action on that Forum.

:D

B