American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

American Road Outdid Itself (again!)

You folks outdid yourselves on the current issue of American Road. It was so lively it almost jumped in my hands! I haven’t read every piece yet, but I was so pleased with what I did read, I’m sending another gift subscription to a friend.

The Route 61 piece did a great service for what I consider the most under appreciated road travel destination in America, Mississippi. I shouldn’t quip, but apparently God hangs out there as well...at least Morgan Freeman does, based on the photo and story . Amy C. Elliott did a wonderful job on the photos, and I assume she did the writing as well.

The pink cover theme is pure 1955, complete with the Elvis 55 Cadillac. We actually wore clothing with that color pink in those days!

The heads up on Tony Craig’s upcoming book was appreciated. The sample photos definitely caught my attention. And Tony’s piece on Lodi was great. Old 99 (the Pacific Highway) deserves more attention.

I must be losing it, but I even enjoyed the ads. Nothing pretentious,...just a great celebration of two lane travel. I picked out a few places to visit.

I guess all I can say is “Can it get any better?!” It's easy to see, I've some fun reading ahead!

Keep the Show on the Road!

You folks outdid yourselves on the current issue of American Road. It was so lively it almost jumped in my hands! I haven’t read every piece yet, but I was so pleased with what I did read, I’m sending another gift subscription to a friend.

The Route 61 piece did a great service for what I consider the most under appreciated road travel destination in America, Mississippi. I shouldn’t quip, but apparently God hangs out there as well...at least Morgan Freeman does, based on the photo and story . Amy C. Elliott did a wonderful job on the photos, and I assume she did the writing as well.

The pink cover theme is pure 1955, complete with the Elvis 55 Cadillac. We actually wore clothing with that color pink in those days!

The heads up on Tony Craig’s upcoming book was appreciated. The sample photos definitely caught my attention. And Tony’s piece on Lodi was great. Old 99 (the Pacific Highway) deserves more attention.

I must be losing it, but I even enjoyed the ads. Nothing pretentious,...just a great celebration of two lane travel. I picked out a few places to visit.

I guess all I can say is “Can it get any better?!” It's easy to see, I've some fun reading ahead!

Hi there,

We're thrilled to get such fabulous feedback. Thank you! We appreciate you spreading the word to other friends very much. I'll pass on your kind words to everyone who helped put this issue together.

We agree that Amy Elliott is an outstanding photographer--she has photo credits that include the NY Times. We're excited to have her as a regular contributing photographer to American Road.

You inquired as to who wrote the 61 article. . . Thomas, our Executive Editor, wrote the article. (Pat - Thomas said that - like the poor woman who had too many phone numbers to dial to make inexpensive calls - "His fingers hurt!." That's one reason Thomas hasn't posted on the Forum yet! He does enjoy reading the posts on the Forum, however. :D )

We like Old US 99, too, and agree that it needs more attention. I don't know if you heard the NPR series that ran a few years ago on Highway 99 in Seattle. You might enjoy it. You'll find the link at: Spending Time on 99: History

http://www.kplu.org/news/99_series.html

We agree that we have fabulous sponsors. If you contact any of the sponsors/advertisers in American Road--please let them know where you found them. Or, feel free to request information using the new reader request card enclosed in the issue of American Road - or on-line (click the "Reader Request" button on our website pages. Our readers and our sponsors are key to the survival of American Road.

Take care! And, we appreciate you Keeping the Show on the Road!

Best,

:D

I also found the current issue of American Road to be outstanding - so much so I have already dropped an email letter to ye mail room!!! So to speak.

You people just keep getting better and better and better with this magazine. What really got my attention this time was not one, but TWO, of my favorite subjects - Route 61 and C. W. McCall. Briefly, from my letter to the editor, C. W. McCall (Bill Fries) in my opinion was one of the driving forces behind the CB craze in the 1970's and he produced a bunch of "road" songs (Convoy, Old '30, Wolf Creek Pass, Black Bear Road) and more. Convoy got everybody out buying CB radios, the IM of it's day.

Yee-haw! merciful sakes alive! you wanna be one a them cbers, you gonna learn how to ratchetjaw! pay attention now; Im only gonna explain it to ya once. And away we went. LOL

If you want to see the lyrics from C. W.'s collection go to:

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/c.w.+mccall/

You can also find my Rt 61 road trip a while back between Memphis and Clarksdale on my web site @

http://www.freewebs.com/yankeetraveller/ - click on Mississippi Road Trip.

Meantime, good buddies, just keep on truckin' on down that long lonesome highway!!!

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Wow, I had no idea C. W. McCall had so many albums. I had the "Convoy" (b/w "Long Lonesome Road") single as a kid and about wore it out. jim

After looking over the site, not all the song lyrics in that list are C. W. McCall - when you open on, the name of the artist appears at the top. A better site may be this one - as it lists the songs in the albums they appeared in.

http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/c/cwmccall971.html

Safe Travels everyone

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

I also found the current issue of American Road to be outstanding - so much so I have already dropped an email letter to ye mail room!!! So to speak.

You people just keep getting better and better and better with this magazine. What really got my attention this time was not one, but TWO, of my favorite subjects - Route 61 and C. W. McCall. Briefly, from my letter to the editor, C. W. McCall (Bill Fries) in my opinion was one of the driving forces behind the CB craze in the 1970's and he produced a bunch of "road" songs (Convoy, Old '30, Wolf Creek Pass, Black Bear Road) and more. Convoy got everybody out buying CB radios, the IM of it's day.

Yee-haw! merciful sakes alive! you wanna be one a them cbers, you gonna learn how to ratchetjaw! pay attention now; Im only gonna explain it to ya once. And away we went. LOL

If you want to see the lyrics from C. W.'s collection go to:

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/c.w.+mccall/

You can also find my Rt 61 road trip a while back between Memphis and Clarksdale on my web site @

http://www.freewebs.com/yankeetraveller/ - click on Mississippi Road Trip.

Meantime, good buddies, just keep on truckin' on down that long lonesome highway!!!

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Hi Alex,

We did receive your letter in our mail box - Thank you! :D

I finally had a moment to take a look at your site. Great fun! I enjoyed the music, too. I had some trouble, however, the pictures didn't show up in my browser (Firefox). Am I doing something wrong???

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Alex,

We did receive your letter in our mail box - Thank you! :D

I finally had a moment to take a look at your site. Great fun! I enjoyed the music, too. I had some trouble, however, the pictures didn't show up in my browser (Firefox). Am I doing something wrong???

Thanks for sharing!

I had the same problem with the photos, and I'm using Explorer. When I checked the URL, it didn't exist. Did you forget to upload them? I'll take another look later.