American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Article About Lh In South Bend, Indiana

My mom, bless her heart, cut out an article for me from IN Michiana Magazine about the Lincoln Highway in South Bend, where I was raised. The article itself is pretty lightweight but it does have two old photos from the road, one of a streetcar stopped along the road in town, probably from the 1930s, and another of the road being built, parts unknown. The photos were supplied by the South Bend Mayor's Office, which seems like an unlikely place.

The magazine is available in its entirety as a PDF file online. Go here:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs....GORY=inmichiana

Until the July, 2007, issue comes out, click the "current issue (PDF)" link to read it. Otherwise, click the "past issues" link, and click "June, 2007" on the page that appears. Then scroll down to page 40.

My main memories of Lincolnway through S.B. as a kid were of when I had to go to the doctor -- his office was on Lincolnway West. So I didn't much care much to be on Lincolnway when I was little!

jim

Glad your Mom was thinking of you! The article is interesting.

There are at least a dozen Lincoln Highway photos taken near South Bend in the outstanding, terrific, wonderful, University of Michigan Lincoln Highway collection. The URL for the collection is:

http://images.umdl.umich.edu/cgi/i/image/i...&page=index

The collection covers most of the Lincoln Highway in thousands of photos, and more are being added thanks to the modern Lincoln Highway Association and a donor.

Before you click on the link, check your watch. You may get so interested you lose track of time! The collection is of interest far beyond the Lincoln Highway because it captures so much of the taste of early auto travel.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

The article includes a photo of Bert & Carol Pauluhn standing by their 1948 Studebaker Landcruiser at the recent Lincoln Highway Association Headquarters dedication. I invite everyone to visit my forum profile (click on my "handle" in the left column) to see another couple (the female half is my sister) standing by another (AFAIK) 1948 Studebaker Landcruiser in a photo I added to the profile some time back.

The article includes a photo of Bert & Carol Pauluhn standing by their 1948 Studebaker Landcruiser at the recent Lincoln Highway Association Headquarters dedication. I invite everyone to visit my forum profile (click on my "handle" in the left column) to see another couple (the female half is my sister) standing by another (AFAIK) 1948 Studebaker Landcruiser in a photo I added to the profile some time back.

Denny, I assume your sister is the good looking member of the family. :P

In the category of trivia and nostalgia:

The Landcruiser was top of the line in the upscale Studebaker Commander series, pegged at $2265 (equal to about $19,500 today) in 1948 and tugged along by an in line 6 claiming 94 bhp. It weighed in at 3280 pounds, so it was a fair chunk of metal to move with that horsepower. Of course I wouldn't know, my family couldn't afford one. ;)

A friend who was a "Ham" operator, had a used one of that era we drove over the old Santa Cruz Highway one night in the winter of 1954 or 1955 to carry supplies to flood victims in Watsonville (California) during a major storm. What I remember most was that the vacuum powered wipers stopped working as we pulled the long grade out of Los Gatos, and he had to let his foot off the gas every so often so we would get a couple of flops of the blades to clear the rain off the windshield. Dodging downed trees in the dark of night while driving half blind in the rain was all part of the two lane adventure!

And, Mobilene, suck it up! We all make sacrifices! If you are to be a Road Scholar as Becky suggested you are, you gotta do your homework!! :D

Let's Keep the Show on the Road!

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

Consider it sucked up, sir!

I like that SIR thing. Much better than what my wife sometimes calls me!

Let us know what you think of the photos. I find them quite amazing, especially the shots of auto camping, stuck in the mud, or at some recognizable site that still survives along the old alignment.

The shot of the road construction equipment in the article you cite looks like the same countryside shown in the South Bend photos in the collection. They were probably taken in the same general area.

Being in the west, I have followed the Lincoln through Nevada and into Utah. Many of the places photographed in the teens and 20’s and in the U of M collection still exist on the Lincoln. Of course, you guys in the midwest have lots of sweet sites as well, as I see in your photos.

Keep the Show on the Road!