American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

End Of The Road

Last week I recieved my copy of Brian Butko's "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway" and began reading it. Since I live on the West Coast I am starting at the back and working my way forwards through each state. I happened to be in San Francisco last Saturday and realized I was not far from where the Lincoln Highway terminous marker that was placed in 2002 at the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park. I did find the marker on the southeast corner of the parking lot in the weeds, overlooking the golf course, next to a Muni bus stop.

SC10_78_01c.jpg

Enjoy the Journey

Edited by roadhound

Rick,

Thanks for sharing and the great photo. I just started reading the book in the proper East to West direction, and have not yet hit the PA sections that I have driven. That was about 8 years ago and probably was the reason that I began to fall in love with the American two-lane.

I understood the monument was covered by weeds. Granted, it wasn’t exactly enshrined, but it looks good.

Let's Keep the Show on the Road!

The monument looked to be in great shape. No signs of tagging on it or the plaque next to it. In retrospect it probably is in the best location. It is just off of the road that would have been the LH, its near where the original marker was places, its easily visible if you know where to look, and its right next to the bus stop where people waiting for the bus can get a history lesson at the same time. It would be good if somebody pulled out the the weeds once in awhile.

I just started reading the book in the proper East to West direction, and have not yet hit the PA sections that I have driven. That was about 8 years ago and probably was the reason that I began to fall in love with the American two-lane.

It seems to me like most guidebooks on cross country travel books that I have read are written east to west, I suppose it is because that was the migration path as the country moved west. I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area all of my life and while I knew that the Lincoln and Victory highways ended here and though I occasionally wondered if an old looking bridge was part of one of those roads I have only recently begun to look seriously for remnants of those old roads. The LH passed 5 miles south of were I currently live and through the town that I grew up in, although I was unaware of it at the time. I probably rode my bike on sections of the road without knowing it. Unfortunately there has been so much urbanization here in the last 70 years that little is as it was back then. I will keep searching and sharing what I find.

Life is a Trip, Enjoy the Journey

When the replica marker was dedicated in 2002, 89 year old Bernard Queneau was there. Bernard was one of the boy scouts who had been with the crew setting the original in 1928. Designing and installing that interpretive plaque was spearheaded by a fellow named George Clark. He was 85 when it was erected. In the fall issue of the Lincoln Highway Forum, George has a nice article describing the trials and tribulations of getting the plaque put in place.

I can only hope that, like Bernard & George, I'm still a roadie through my ninth decade and, Rick, I hope you're enjoying your travels on the Yawhgih Nlocnil. Nice picture.

When the replica marker was dedicated in 2002, 89 year old Bernard Queneau was there. Bernard was one of the boy scouts who had been with the crew setting the original in 1928. Designing and installing that interpretive plaque was spearheaded by a fellow named George Clark. He was 85 when it was erected. In the fall issue of the Lincoln Highway Forum, George has a nice article describing the trials and tribulations of getting the plaque put in place.

I can only hope that, like Bernard & George, I'm still a roadie through my ninth decade and, Rick, I hope you're enjoying your travels on the Yawhgih Nlocnil. Nice picture.

Denny, by the time you hit your ninth decade you have to wonder if there will be any roads to drive on!!!!!!!!

Let's see - at the current rate gas should be up around $8 to $10 a gallon; a new car will cost $80,000 to $90,000 (a good used car will cost around $50,000); and retiree's will STILL be about $30,000 behind the curve!!!!!!!! hehehehe

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Let's see - at the current rate gas should be up around $8 to $10 a gallon; a new car will cost $80,000 to $90,000 (a good used car will cost around $50,000); and retiree's will STILL be about $30,000 behind the curve!!!!!!!! hehehehe

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Gee,

Thanks for the optimistic viewpoint. I was feeling pretty good about my retirement. I guess I should start to worry since only the good die young...

• 4 months later...

PBS producer Rick Sebak just updated his blog to the Western Terminus:

http://www.wqed.org/tv/natl/lincoln_hwy/blog/

He actually reached there two months ago but has been delayed in updating as he continues making other trips on the Lincoln Highway and working on another video that he must complete first.

He says the Terminus was pretty foggy that night and the next morning, which is what I found too last June.

He hasn't gotten the latest pictures up but click on Video Postcards to the left to see some fun and interesting short clips about finding the last two markers.

Brian Butko

I had followed the blog until either it hit a pause, I got too busy, or both. This nudge got me to finish the read and now I know how to find those last two markers. Heck, I even know the names of the folks who own the cloaking hedge. Now, if I could just get there.

• 1 month later...
Last week I recieved my copy of Brian Butko's "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway" and began reading it. Since I live on the West Coast I am starting at the back and working my way forwards through each state. I happened to be in San Francisco last Saturday and realized I was not far from where the Lincoln Highway terminous marker that was placed in 2002 at the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park. I did find the marker on the southeast corner of the parking lot in the weeds, overlooking the golf course, next to a Muni bus stop.

SC10_78_01c.jpg

Enjoy the Journey

That IS a beautiful shot. Did you see the story I reported on, that a salvager recently found a 1928 LH concrete post that had been thrown over the bluff?!

http://brianbutko.wordpress.com/2007/12/19...rker-been-found

I can't help but think it likely could be the original terminus marker. We need someone from the area to search out the person who now has it in his backyard near Rossi Playground!

BTW, my LH Companion book will run West-to-East. Seemed the most natural way for maps to display in a book.

Brian

That IS a beautiful shot. Did you see the story I reported on, that a salvager recently found a 1928 LH concrete post that had been thrown over the bluff?!

http://brianbutko.wordpress.com/2007/12/19...rker-been-found

I can't help but think it likely could be the original terminus marker. We need someone from the area to search out the person who now has it in his backyard near Rossi Playground!

BTW, my LH Companion book will run West-to-East. Seemed the most natural way for maps to display in a book.

Brian

If that is the original terminus marker that would be an incredible find. Even if its not the terminus marker it is still an incredible find. I know where Rossi Playground is but that is a lot of backyards to be peeping into to. If somehow you make contact with the possessor of the marker and need someone to get out there to take a photo let me know.

I don't have any problems with an west-east guidebook. It makes it easier for me as now I can start at the beginning of the book and travel my way into it as opposed to either traveling backwards through the book or dashing east so I can follow the book back towards home. Thanks for thinking of us West Coasters!

Roadhound

Another awesome photo, Rick. I've seen your website pics also. They're simple, yet very elegant. I think you have an incredible eye for the aesthetics of any road or object. Keep up the good work. I'm curious, does anyone pay you to take photographs? Someone should be.....

Matt Smallwood

Another awesome photo, Rick. I've seen your website pics also. They're simple, yet very elegant. I think you have an incredible eye for the aesthetics of any road or object. Keep up the good work. I'm curious, does anyone pay you to take photographs? Someone should be.....

Matt Smallwood

Thanks for the compliment Matt.

I've sold a few pictures over the last few years mostly to aircraft owners or the passengers that are lucky enough to get a flight in a warbird that I just happened to photograph. Unfortunately, the meager sales don't come anywhere close to paying for the investment in equipment, not to mention the cost of getting to the picture. I once had grand designs of making a few bucks taking pictures but for now I have resigned myself to keeping the day job and taking and sharing photos that I like to take when I can. If someone is interested in paying for a picture, that's great, otherwise I will keep on shooting what I like to shoot.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Rick

I've been trying to get a transfusion from Bernie for years. I think he turns 96 this year! Bernie and Esther Queneau were featured in a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article in July, Mt. Lebanon man recalls eventful 1928 trip along Lincoln Highway. My favorite quote from Esther: "I got the ultimate Lincoln Highway collectible," she says, "a 1928 Boy Scout.":

http://xrl.us/6xhh