American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Gallery - Old Us 36 Photos

mobilene

I created my first area in the Gallery today and posted some photos of old alignments from my recent US 36 trip. Included is one with a covered bridge, one that goes into a lake on one side and comes out the other, and one that's unpaved (i.e., dirt) and one lane wide.

jim

I created my first area in the Gallery today and posted some photos of old alignments from my recent US 36 trip. Included is one with a covered bridge, one that goes into a lake on one side and comes out the other, and one that's unpaved (i.e., dirt) and one lane wide.

jim

Jim,

Enjoyed the gallery! It reminds me that there are really beautiful places to visit everywhere, so long as you stay on the old two laners!

I liked the little town shot. I couldn't quite make out what the flag sign said.

Keep em coming!

Keep the Show on the Raod!

I liked the little town shot. I couldn't quite make out what the flag sign said.

I can't make it out, either, not even when I look at it at full resolution. It looks like the flag was painted over the "Hanks Bros" sign, and covered up most of the text.

jim

I can't make it out, either, not even when I look at it at full resolution. It looks like the flag was painted over the "Hanks Bros" sign, and covered up most of the text.

jim

Of course I like the bridge, Oregon does pretty well in that category here in the Northwest,

One of the great values of this forum is that I get to see other areas as they are, not as they appear in picture books. For example, I am impressed with the very heavy foliage along the road in your photos. I thought Washington took the prize for green, but Indiana is at least as green.

I took a look via Google Earth at US 36 west of Indianapolis to Bainbridge. It looks by the pattern of streets that suburban development has spread out toward Bainbridge in the past 10 years or so. It appears that it has been mainly in areas not being farmed, and around water. If that is true, it affects the character of the small towns, like Bainbridge, and they become bedroom communities. How far west do you have to go on US 36 before you get into “authentic” small towns? Banbridge or farther west?

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Bainbridge is still pretty out there. The worst of the suburbanization ends west of Danville. By the time you hit the county line, you see nothing but fields until you come upon Bainbridge. The town looks pretty depressed, economically. Things look a little rough all over. jim

Bainbridge is still pretty out there. The worst of the suburbanization ends west of Danville. By the time you hit the county line, you see nothing but fields until you come upon Bainbridge. The town looks pretty depressed, economically. Things look a little rough all over. jim

My wife and I both lived in a small IL town on U.S. 36 when we were kids. Like most old highways, 36 ran right through the middle of town and it was always BUSY. See a photo from my album below....Bliss

http://americanroadmagazine.com/forum/inde...=si&img=229

My wife and I both lived in a small IL town on U.S. 36 when we were kids. Like most old highways, 36 ran right through the middle of town and it was always BUSY. See a photo from my album below....Bliss

http://americanroadmagazine.com/forum/inde...=si&img=229

Thanks, Bliss. I asked my question because I look for the viable small towns that still exist.

I enjoyed the very good fortune to live in a small town in Oregon at a time when the Norman Rockwell image was real there, complete with the barefoot boys fishing on the pond and the neighbors coming by at Christmas time to carol. Downtown had its drug store, and friends met on main street and passed the time of day. We never locked the doors,

I have wondered about the great midwest, thus my question about Bainbridge. Where are the viable authentic small towns in Indiana?

For me an authentic small town is populated by people who live and work there. It is self contained in that the entertainment, shopping, schools, hospital, and employment are all there.

A few still exist along some two laners. Sounds like US 36 might be one of them.

Let me make clear that Bainbridge is not the kind of small town you describe. It is too small! There's nothing really there -- no hospital, that's for sure, and probably no school. Main Street is decaying storefronts, not viable businesses vital to the town. Well, except for the bars. You know what I mean.

jim