American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Albuquerque

Dave Reese

I will be heading to my first ever visit to New Mexico in October since my son will be stationed at Kirkland AFB. I want to do side trips to Sante Fe, as well as visit the Unser Racing Museum and the Albuquerque Balloon Festival while we are there for a week. Any other suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

I will be heading to my first ever visit to New Mexico in October since my son will be stationed at Kirkland AFB. I want to do side trips to Sante Fe, as well as visit the Unser Racing Museum and the Albuquerque Balloon Festival while we are there for a week. Any other suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Hi - I would highly recommend going to the renovated KIMO Theatre. It is absolutely beautiful. You might want to see if they will be showing any classic movies during your visit.

:D

When visiting Santa Fe, be sure to come back to Albuquerque on the Turquoise Trail and also visit Sandia Crest (elevation10,678 ft.) and the Tinkertown Museum. Well worth the time.

Fran in Cuba, MO.

Thanks Fran and Thanks Becky.

I will look for the Turquoise trail and Tinkertown between Sante Fe and Albuquerque.

Is the KIMO theater in the Old City section of Albuquerque? A quick glance at some photos reminds me of a local theatre that I volunteer for here in Allentown.

Since I started this thread before many transferred over to the new forum, I just wanted to see if anyone else had a suggestion of things to do around Albuquerque. All suggestions will be appreciated...

Dave,

If you have even a remote interest in racing, the Unser Racing Museum would probably be worth a look. Considering the Unser family accounts for 9 of 90 Indy 500 wins, I'd say they're a pretty important part of racing history. Their web site can be found at: http://www.unserracingmuseum.com

Pat B.

• 4 weeks later...
When visiting Santa Fe, be sure to come back to Albuquerque on the Turquoise Trail and also visit Sandia Crest (elevation10,678 ft.) and the Tinkertown Museum. Well worth the time.

Fran in Cuba, MO.

Is the Turquoise trail the old 66? We'll be in the Duke City near the end of the month as we make our first-ever end-to-end Route 66 trip. We've been as far as Tucumcari going west. On the way back, we'll go to the Grand Canyon, Las vegas, and Santa Fe. If anyone knows of a neat place that is not in any of the 66 books, let me know.

• 1 month later...

We are back from Albuquerque. Fran, we loved Tinkertown on the Turquoise Trail. I took a load of photos, talked with Ross Ward's widow about the wonder place and her late husband. You can visit this at http://www.tinkertown.com/. We also did the Tramway to Sandia Peak, visited the Petroglyph National Site, the Unser Racing Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Pueblo Cultural Museum, Old Town, drove the section of old 66 from Tjeras on the East of town to Coors Boulevard on the west end on Albuquerque. There are a number of remnants of the old motels, but not always in the best neighborhoods. We also drove the Turquoise Trail north to Sante Fe and stopped is Madrid (pronounced Mad-drid) to see many cool shops and artists, and then spent time in Sante Fe's plaza. I am currently reading Jennet Conant's book "109 East Palace" about Los Alamos and J. Robert Oppenheimer which takes place in Sante Fe and Los Alamos, and the locations are prominent in the very interesting book. (She also wrote the very good "Tuxedo Park" which was a NY Times Bestseller). On the way back on I-25 in the evening I had to keep finding places to pull over to photograph the amazing sunset. Although we did not go to the Balloon Fiesta Park, we did get to watch the balloons when the weather cooperated. And our son took us on tour of Kirtland AFB where he is currently stationed. It was a great week. I will try to post some photos in the gallery in the next few days. I want to thank all for the suggestions we received. It made the trip much more complete when we had special places too see that were not always the prominent ones in the guide books...

We are glad to be back in PA now as the flight into Allentown yesterday showed off the Autumn colors as we approaced ABE airport. And it was fun to put up our newly purchased decorations from New Mexico in our Southwest oriented Sun Room last night.