American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

10 Mph - The Movie

DennyG

"10 MPH", a movie of a cross country Segway trip has just been released on DVD and I saw it for the first time last night. A Segway is that self-balancing two-wheeled "scooter" that was supposed to revolutionize transportation. That hasn't happened, possibly because the price is still pretty high ($4000+, I think) but it's certainly an intriguing device. I got on their email list some time back and have learned of the film's successes at some film festivals but it was never within viewing range. The DVD was officially released on May 29. I pre-ordered it and watched it last night.

Two guys quit their corporate jobs to make the movie and there's a fair amount of time given to their struggles (largely financial) getting it done. They meet some very cool people along the way who help emphasis the "do you thing" message. All of this during a 100 day, 4,000 mile road trip from Seattle to Boston. The trip did not fit Segway's image as an urban vehicle so, even though the movie could almost be considered a Segway ad, there was no company backing. In the end, Segway did step up but the trip was a fait accompli at that point.

There's lots of road shots but I don't recall seeing one route marker. I'll have to recheck that on another viewing. But there is some great scenery and general roadside views. There's also plenty of comedy & philosophy. Not slapstick comedy (although folks do fall off of Segways quite a bit) and not heavy philosophy. In general, pretty mellow stuff.

Something that caught my ear was the mention that Pony Express riders averaged about 10 miles an hour and changed horses every 10 miles or so. A Segway's top end is 12 MPH and they really did average about 10 MPH on the trip and they had to change batteries ever 10 miles or so. The Pony Express was considered the fastest form of travel available in its day. The Segway, not so.

It will be in a few theaters later this summer and it's available at Netflix & Blockbuster or they'd be happy to sell you a copy. Check it out at: http://www.10mph.com/

P.S., I know there are some music lovers in this group and I really intended to mention the film's music. It's all quite good, it all seems to fit, and it's all from folks I've never heard of. I've seen nothing about a soundtrack album but it seems a reasonable possibility. Click on the "Music" link at the "10 MPH" site to get blurbs on each of the musicians along with links to their own sites.

The Segway probably has some good uses if they get the cost down. One Jersey seashore town has them for rent on the boardwalk for those who can't and don't want to walk. Many cities use them for tourist tours, and the Philly Airport has them for some of the security police to allow them to get from one end to the other on patrol. But my favorite is there are a few golf courses adding golf bag holders to replace golf carts. Now, that is where I want to try one...

Ah, Denny, you reveal yet another talent, as film critic! A very good write up! It is always good to know you have a fallback, or a second income if you ever need it!

Kidding aside, I like your comparison with the Pony Express! They changed horses, and the Segways changed batteries. It is almost a (what is the term?!) for the old and the new!

Beyond the fact that it could be done, I don’t see many people selling their cars and hitting the road on Segways! Although some of those little scooter cars aren’t much bigger.

Thanks for sharing! I added it to my Netflix list.

Segways help Keep the Show on the Road!

Something that caught my ear was the mention that Pony Express riders averaged about 10 miles an hour and changed horses every 10 miles or so. A Segway's top end is 12 MPH and they really did average about 10 MPH on the trip and they had to change batteries ever 10 miles or so. The Pony Express was considered the fastest form of travel available in its day. The Segway, not so.

But the Segway Dudes had a much better road to follow. Those Segways are the strangest looking contraptions I've just about ever seen.

I'm pretty sure that if I tried to make a living as a film critic, I could get pretty hungry. Hey, maybe that's not such a bad idea. The career mismatch weight loss plan.

The Pony Express comparison was from the film although I verified it (If it's on the web, it must be true. Right?) before posting.

It's impossible to talk about the file without talking about Segways but the scooter was just a device. These guys did a coast-to-coast road trip at a speed that allows eye-to-eye contact with farmers and their cows, too. And they filmed it. That's the cool part.

I'm pretty sure that if I tried to make a living as a film critic, I could get pretty hungry. Hey, maybe that's not such a bad idea. The career mismatch weight loss plan.

The Pony Express comparison was from the film although I verified it (If it's on the web, it must be true. Right?) before posting.

It's impossible to talk about the file without talking about Segways but the scooter was just a device. These guys did a coast-to-coast road trip at a speed that allows eye-to-eye contact with farmers and their cows, too. And they filmed it. That's the cool part.

You are right, the 10 MPH, eyeball to eyeball level does make a difference. Before I was an auto road tripper, I was a bicycle road tripper. I met more people, got invited to dinner more often, and saw more on a bicycle. Kind of like the difference between a two lane road and the interstate. But I was a lot younger, and even then I got tired of idiots throwing things at me as they drove by. I don’t think they really recognized that a beer bottle travels at 65 MPH if the drunk throwing it is in a car going 65 MPH.

I look forward to seeing the movie. Thanks for the tip.

Keep the Show on the Road

• 3 weeks later...

Denny,

Good advice!! You are a good film critic! And a good music critic to boot. I just saw the film and it was great. And I too am going to explore the music more.

Of course the story isn’t about crossing America on a Segway, or about city kids discovering the two lane roads at 10 mph. It is about the people along the way. Which in the end is always the highlight of any road story.

For the guys doing the movie it was about breaking out of the corporate scene and following a dream. For me, it could have been called “America’s Still There.” You just have to turn off the TV and hit the road less traveled.

Either way, it is great, and from the view of one who has been there and done that, highly recommended as a film and as good advice on life.

Keep the Show on the Road