American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Indiana National Road Documentary

From Inside Indiana Business:

A Ball State University telecommunications professor is traveling the Indiana portion of the National Road to tell the stories of the people along the historic roadway as part of a new documentary. Nancy Carlson, chair of the telecommunications department, and students will create "Stories along the National Road." The documentary will be used as a public television program, as well as in visitor centers, museums and schools across the state.

The rest of the story can be read here.

• 5 months later...
My recent blog entry about the Reelsville segment of the Road got the attention of the folks putting this documentary together. They've asked if I'm interesed in participating. I'll certainly reply in the affirmative, and I'll let you all know what unfolds. jim

Ah, Fame!!! :lol: Shortly follows fortune!

Keek the Show on the Road!

My recent blog entry about the Reelsville segment of the Road got the attention of the folks putting this documentary together. They've asked if I'm interesed in participating. I'll certainly reply in the affirmative, and I'll let you all know what unfolds. jim

Excellent! I'm assuming that would be an on-air participation?? If so, interested in sporting some American Road swag during filming?? I've got a fine navy blue polo with the AR logo on it (sizes M or L) with your name on it! I thought I'd hit you up on it before Becky did. :lol:

Heh! Always looking for the promotional angle, eh Roadmaven?

I assume they want to talk to me to see if I have a story worth filming, but we'll see what happens.

Keep: I'd be just as happy with fortune minus the fame!!

jim

Edited by mobilene

I met with Nancy Carlson, director of the Telecommunications Dept. and producer of this film, today for coffee. She happened to be in town. She is still in the figuring-out-what-stories-to-tell phase. She told me that she wants to tell the stories of people on the Road in Indiana, past and present, especially past. She admitted that she is trying to avoid an eastern-Indiana bias because that's where she's located, and is interested in leads from western Indiana. I told her about the house in Harmony and suggested the Clabber Girl museum in Terre Haute. She said she'd like to find a farm along the Road that has been in the same family for many generations, and find the story of a pioneer woman who could be a real-life Madonna of the Trail.

I brought my 1916 and 1922 ABBs, my 1924 Auto Trails Map, and several 1930s-1940s gas station maps to tell the story of the road itself in more modern times. I told her about the resurgence of the road in the early 20th century, and showed her in successive maps how it was widened over time to its current 4-lane state, reflecting the need for a major artery across the middle of the country. I suggested that she could probably find any number of stories across the Road from the day that I-70 was opened, and how traffic and business immediately went from a gush to a trickle. I'm not sure she was that enthusiastic about this idea, but she did take plenty of notes. She really liked the 1916 ABB and it's description of the road from Indy to Terre Haute, and asked for permission to shoot photos of my copy someday if she decides to work it in.

She is also seeking Indiana artists (music, painting, etc.) with links somehow to the Road to contribute. She's talking to a Bloomington-area bluegrass band today, for example; they recorded a song called National Road.

Since she is still in idea-gathering mode, I'll bet she'd welcome further leads from this group. I can pass them on or put you in touch with her.

I enjoyed the chat with her. She is clearly excited about the project.

Peace,

jim

Jim,

This sounds terrific, and they found an expert! And the Forum is a great spot to for them to touch base with other National Road pros as well, so I hope they will join.

I am too far away and too unfamiliar with the Nationa Road to be of any help, but I assume they have looked at Thomas Searight's 1894 book "The Old Pike." It has great stories of the National Road, from one who got them first hand. The book and the road faded the further west he went in Indiana, but the eastern part is well covered. A search by author and title will turn up a full text copy on line.

Keep us posted, have a great Thanksgiving, and

Keep the Show on the Road!

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting old threads is not one of my favorite things but I became aware of the article here through someone on the Route 40 Yahoo group and it seemed an appropriate update. The project is still ongoing and they're still looking for... stuff.