American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Does Anyone Know What "history On A Stick" Means?

RoadDog

I came across the description of something you might see while cruisin' down those two lane roads. Does anyone have an idea what it might be? I'd never heard of it before.

Could that be the historical markers along the highways that are about 5 ot 6 feet high with something like

"On this site in 1765, Mabel Johnson made the first Shoo-fly pie in the state of Delaware"?

How was the phrase used?

Could that be the historical markers along the highways that are about 5 ot 6 feet high with something like

"On this site in 1765, Mabel Johnson made the first Shoo-fly pie in the state of Delaware"?

How was the phrase used?

I think Dave Wins the Best Answer Prize! Here is a quote from the Topix site that tends to confirm his answer:

"The North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, aka "history on a stick," recognizes Pender County history as far back as 1663. via StarNewsOnline.com"

Is this forum the source for all road knowledge, or what!!?

Keep the Show on the Road!

Boy are you guys sharp, and that was the article where I got the information.

Of interest, if anyone ever gets out to Topsail Beach, NC, you will see the observation towers used when the US was developing our early missile program. Some of them have been turned into residences. There is an excellent museum there and a place that saves sea turtles.