American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Yellowstone Trail Time Travel

ARMap1.jpg
I realize that a map may help locate sites in unfamiliar areas so I have numbered the photos in my four related Yellowstone Trail posts on the map. You will find the number in the caption of each photo.

We are on the Yellowstone Trail tonight, in the small town of Waterville, Washington, population about 1100. This is real small town America. The only restaurant closes at 8PM and the only bar serves the best meals in town. We ordered the twelve inch meat eaters pizza and it weighed at least 3 pounds. Even a hungry man couldn’t eat more than two slices, despite the fact it was delicious.

We are spending the evening at the 1903 Waterville Hotel. David and Amy are our hosts. David bought the hotel in 1992 and after renovating it, opened it for business in 1996.

ARWatervilleHotel.jpg

The 1903 Waterville Hotel, Waterville WA. A stop on the Yellowstone Trail (Map Location 1)

David pulled out a copy of American Road, volume one, issue one. I told him I wished I had saved mine! It had a note from Becky Repp, co-editor of American Road inside, a memento from a stop here in 2003.

ARWatervilleHotelLobby.jpg

The Hotel Lobby with much Original Furniture (Map Location 1)

As we stood on the old fashioned porch and discussed Waterville and the hotel, townspeople drove and walked by, each one waving and greeting David and me. I guess when you stay at the Hotel you are automatically part of the community :D .

Amy showed me the rooms and the library. They have furnished each with old fashioned furniture and accessories. You even get a retro radio tape player combination and old time radio tapes to play. The lobby and sitting room are right out of the 1920’s, and much of it is actual furniture from the hotel from 60 or 70 years ago. Apparently the former owner had kept the original furniture down through the years, so David got it when he acquired the hotel.

We have a 700 square foot two room suite with full kitchen, couch, easy chair, and all the fixings, including wi fi for less that a night at most motels. This is their one dog friendly room, and we were happy to get it. Bo was pretty tuckered out after several hours traveling so he has a large section of floor to rest on.

(Next morning)

Across the street is the Waterville Garage, a typical 1920’s facility. Were it not for the Visa and Master Card signs, this might as well be 1925 when the Yellowstone Trail was rerouted through here from its former path through Walla Walla and Yakima much to the south.

ARWatervilleGarage.jpg

The Waterville Garage (Map Location 1)

This place is about as close as you can get to time travel. The Hotel, the old garage, and Waterville itself evoke the memory and images of what America was like in 1925 or 1940.

ARWatervilleDusk.jpg

Downtown Waterville at Dusk...on the Yellowstone Trail (Map Location 1)

The folks who monitor the Yellowstone Trail section here, and write the Yellowstone Trail material for American road, John and Alice Ridge, stayed at the Waterville not long ago. Now Amy offers their book for sale and has posters of the Yellowstone Trial hung in the hallway outside our room.

Yesterday, our first day on the Trail, was filled with stops in other great places like Cle Elum and the old Blewett Pass burg of Liberty. We will add more photos and stories as time permits. As for me, I’m headed in to get my continental breakfast as soon as I post this.

If you want to stay at the Hotel, visit their website at www.watervillehotel.com. It will be an enjoyable experience.

Ole Bo, the Malamute Wonder Dog has recovered from a day of checking the sights and is ready to help Keep the Show on the Road. Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

That looks like a great place to check out.

By the way, I am very interested in US-12. Is that part of the Yellowstone in Washington?

The Yellowstone Trail (YT) follows modern US 12 (that is it weaves back and forth in the present corridor of US 12) A) from around Gary, Indiana to East Chicago, Indiana, B) from near Eau Claire, Wisconsin to Minneapolis, Minnesota, C) from Ortonville, Minnesota (on the Minnesota/South Dakota border) to Plevna, Montana, D) from Miles City, Montana, to Forsyth, Montana, E) from Garrison, Montana to Missoula, Montana, and F) (along the pre-1925 Washingtion route) from Dodge, Washington, to Wallula (Junction), Washington. I think I got them all!

The Waterville Hotel in Waterville, Washington, is on the post-1925 Washington route of the YT. Both routes are fascinating and worthy of slow travel.

Maps in our web site (www.yellowstonetrail.org) cover some of the states. The maps are drafts. Contact us for other information about the YT or suggest errors or problems with the web maps. This forum is a good way to do that.

yttrailman (John Ridge)

That looks like a great place to check out.

By the way, I am very interested in US-12. Is that part of the Yellowstone in Washington?

As always, thanks for the interest and reply!!

In Washington, today’s US 12 is generally contiguous with the pre 1925 Yellowstone Trail (YST) from Dodge (west of Pomeroy) through Dayton, Waitsburg, Walla Walla, Richland, Prosser, Grandview and , Yakima. We traveled that route three days ago, including the beautiful US 12 non Yellowstone Trail section from Yakima over White Pass with its spectacular views of Mt. Rainer. I will post a few photos and the story soon, so come back in a few days to this section of the forum.

I have repeatedly traveled today's US 12 over the years in Washington, so if you have a particular interest I may be able to answer a question of two.

By the way, when did the current US 12 take its number? On all my post 1926 atlases up through 1953 it is identified in Washington as US 410.

In the meantime, Keep the Show on the Road!

In Washington, today’s US 12 is generally contiguous with the pre 1925 Yellowstone Trail (YST) from Dodge (west of Pomeroy) through Dayton, Waitsburg, Walla Walla, Richland, Prosser, Grandview and , Yakima.

By the way, when did the current US 12 take its number? On all my post 1926 atlases up through 1953 it is identified in Washington as US 410.

In the meantime, Keep the Show on the Road!

Right! I falsely remembered US 12 leaving the YT at Wallula Junction to head toward Oregon. 12 doesn't leave the YT until Yakima, then heads west.

Another note, though. Just north of Yakima, near Selah, the YT followed Wenas Road and Umptanum Road to Ellensburg. That is a fine drive (much good gravel) that makes it easy to imagine traveling on the YT in 1920.

Right! I falsely remembered US 12 leaving the YT at Wallula Junction to head toward Oregon. 12 doesn't leave the YT until Yakima, then heads west.

Another note, though. Just north of Yakima, near Selah, the YT followed Wenas Road and Umptanum Road to Ellensburg. That is a fine drive (much good gravel) that makes it easy to imagine traveling on the YT in 1920.

It sure does!! That is a sweet bit of good advice from the expert! It has been a couple of years since I took that road, but it is one of the best remaining longer examples of the old Yellowstone in the west.

We had planned to take it this trip and close the loop back through Cle Elum, but the weather was turning wet so we cut the trip short by returning via White Pass.

While I am replying, I have wondered sometihng. Sometime probably in 2001 or 2002, probably in April, I took the old Lookout Pass dirt road out of Mullen eastbound until I was blocked by a snowdrift. On my way back down, there out in the middle of nowhere was a couple in what I recall as a white Ford sedan,. I couldn't imagine that anyone else had any reason to be miles from nowhere, unless they were following the Yellowstone also. We exchanged a "Hello'" and since they weren't in distress, I drove on down the road. I have wondered since whether it was you folks.

Anyway, it is great to have you add your expertise!! We had a wondeful trip and almost closed the loop in Washington, but not quite. I'll be posting more soon with pictures.

Keep the Show on the Road.

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

• 1 month later...

Excellent photos! Does anyone know where the official western end of the Yellowstone Trail automobile route was located in Seattle? I think it was probably located at the intersection of Madison Street and Railroad Avenue, but I’ve never seen any route information that gives that much detail. Madison Street runs across Seattle from the old Madison Park ferry landing, on Lake Washington, where the ferry from Kirkland used to land, directly to the Seattle waterfront on Puget Sound. Railroad Avenue used to run along the Seattle waterfront, about where the Alaskan Way viaduct is now located.

Excellent photos! Does anyone know where the official western end of the Yellowstone Trail automobile route was located in Seattle? I think it was probably located at the intersection of Madison Street and Railroad Avenue, but I’ve never seen any route information that gives that much detail. Madison Street runs across Seattle from the old Madison Park ferry landing, on Lake Washington, where the ferry from Kirkland used to land, directly to the Seattle waterfront on Puget Sound. Railroad Avenue used to run along the Seattle waterfront, about where the Alaskan Way viaduct is now located.

Dusty,

Sorry I was slow in replying! I missed your post and didn't catch it until today.

All the auto guides I recall use Pioneer Square as their starting/ ending point.

Madison would appear to be the logical choice, given your correct observation about how it goes directly to and from the ferry landing. And Railroad would logically be the last stop before a bath in the Puget Sound!

However, odds are very high that the designated beginning and end of the Yellowstone in Seattle was at Pioneer Square, specifically 1st and Yesler. The world class authority on the subject is the Yellowstone Trail moderator here, but Meeks in his “On the Road to Yellowstone” says Pioneer Square. All the guide books I recall use Pioneer square, I suppose because it was a readily recognized and important landmark.

I have included the 1924 Automobile Blue Book description and map. The 1924 Blue Book description clearly identified the route described to be the Yellowstone Trail. I have several earlier Blue Books that all cite Pioneer Square as the starting/ending point for road trips but they lack specific identification that the route is the Yellowstone Trail.

ARSeattleMap.jpg

I should note that it wasn’t until the early to mid 1920’s that the Northwest Automobile Blue Books consistently identified a particular route as associated with one or another of the auto trails. None the less, I think it is safe to assume that in the earlier years the YST start/ end was also identified with Pioneer Square.

I defer to John Ridge in this and all other matters Yellowstone Trail related!

ARSeattleYST.jpg

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

Thank you very much for the information! The route from Pioneer Square probably makes more sense then from the intersection of Madison Street and Railroad Avenue, which though more direct, it would have been much steeper. There is still an original red brick paved segment of the Yellowstone Trail route over by Redmond, Washington (see: http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=2363 ).

Thank you very much for the information! The route from Pioneer Square probably makes more sense then from the intersection of Madison Street and Railroad Avenue, which though more direct, it would have been much steeper. There is still an original red brick paved segment of the Yellowstone Trail route over by Redmond, Washington (see: http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=2363 ).

That explains it! So Madison is steep. That would have been a factor, for sure.

I worked for four years in Bothell and enjoyed visiting that brick section. That was about 10 years ago, and at the time we had an old fellow who remembered driving it when it was the main road.

If you live in the Seattle area, there are some great opportunities to follow the old routes, both of the Yellowstone and the Pacific Highway. There is also a brick section of the Pacific up around Lynwood or Shoreline. And I recall places south of Seattle that should be explored.

If you are interested in the old routes I can probably help with old maps and road guides.

This forum is a great place to share. What are your road related interests?

Keep the Show on the Road

I'm amazed by the quality of the light in your photos. You must have built some skills to have captured the dusk and morning light so well, and to have the neon and incandescent light pop!

jim

Hi Mobilene,

Wow, I’m flattered! Your photos are very good as well. When are you going to share some more road trips & photos?

What you are seeing in my photos is in the technology, not my talent. The "secret" will soon be common knowledge, but so long as I can get credit for talent I lack, I will enjoy it! If you want to get the same lighting results, I can tell you how.

Keep the Show on the Road.

You gots lighting secrets and you's willing to share? Lay them upon us.

But your composition shows skill. Look back at the photo of the Waterville Garage and look at how the lines of the hotel sign are in the same direction as the side wall of the garage. This creates good perspective, and guides the eye across the photo.

jim

You gots lighting secrets and you's willing to share? Lay them upon us.

But your composition shows skill. Look back at the photo of the Waterville Garage and look at how the lines of the hotel sign are in the same direction as the side wall of the garage. This creates good perspective, and guides the eye across the photo.

jim

Jim,

Boy, I am a great photographer after all!! :D

Of course you know the old story about ... given enough monkeys typing they would eventually write Gone With the Wind.....or something like that. Well, given enough photographs, I'm bound to get a lucky shot every so often.

To preserve my unearned photographic reputation a few months longer. I won’t post my lighting “secret” but I will send any forum member who asks, a personal e-mail describing the process. Yours is in the e-mail.

Keep the Show on the Road

Keep the Show on the Road,

I’m interested in history in general, but I’m particularly interested in old transportation routes. I know about the brick section of road in Shoreline, Washington that you mentioned. That section of brick road, dating from 1913, is the last remaining brick surfacing of what was the North Trunk Road, the first paved highway through northwest King County. It’s now named Ronald Place North and it is now being torn up for urban redevelopment. Within the last couple of years a section of the old brick road was torn up to construct another chain drug store and the rest of the road will undoubtedly be torn up for other short sighted urban redevelopment. Getting back to the Yellowstone Trail, I’ve followed parts of that old route across eastern Washington and have noticed yellow paint showing through white paint on old cylindrical concrete posts with cable guard rails. I’ve also noticed old weathered yellow paint along the Yellowstone Trail route on the ends of old concrete bridge railings. I’m wondering if the yellow paint is unique to designate the Yellowstone Trail route or if the yellow paint was simply the color that was used at one time in Washington State to paint guard rail posts and the ends of bridge railings. Lastly, I would also like to know your secrete for creating the vibrant colored images that you have posted.

Dusty Rustyford

Edited by Dusty Rustyford

Dusty,

I appreciate everything you wrote. You are obviously a keen observer. No, the paint used in Washington was yellow, but had nothing to do with the Yellowstone Trail. Wish I could say otherwise.

I would like to find out when the state used yellow and when it used white because it would help date both guard posts and pavement stripes, and thus the alignments. I live in Olympia, and could probably find out if I got ambitious.

As you probably know, the Yellowstone Trail in Washington was not as well recognized or acknowledged as in some other areas. Washington gave names to her highways, and the Yellowstone was called the Inland Empire Highway in its southern loop before 1925 and as the Sunset Highway between Spokane and Seattle when it (YST) was re routed via Waterville, etc. When you travel those roads today, the State names still prevail.

The point of that observation is that Washington didn’t spend money to identify the Yellowstone Trail, and the Association didn’t have the money to paint more than arrows to mark the route.

The only yellow paint related to the Yellowstone I know of is on Snoqualmie Pass and at Rosalia, as noted in my posts.

Which parts of the Yellowstone have you traveled? I’ve gone well into Montana, but not further. Did you know we have the leading world authorities on the Yellowstone here on the forum? (Not me!!). The Ridges (John and Alice) are moderators here in the Yellowstone Trail section and of course authors and writers in American Road.

As a member, you are welcome to my big “secret” photo process, which I will send to your email address on the members list.

Keep the questions and road knowledge coming. And of course Keep the Show on the Road!

Dusty,

As a footnote to “Where did the Yellowstone Trail Start/ End in Seattle?” I checked the 1919 Yellowstone Trail Route Folder reproduction I have (available at the Hitching Post http://americanroadmagazine.com/catalog/) and did not find a specific starting point identified.

Then while I was looking for something else, I found a 1926 Hobbs Guide for the Yellowstone Trail. They started the trail at 4th and University. Go figure! What makes 4th and University important? Any idea?

The irony for me is that I had this very interesting guide in my collection and didn’t remember having it! We took a trip on the Yellowstone a few weeks ago and I would have enjoyed having this baby along!

I have never organized the thousands of things I have, so looking through them is like a treasure hunt. I never know what I’ll will discover!

You and a couple of others here, by asking questions, are getting me to the point where I have to add some bookshelves and get this stuff out of boxes. Maybe that is my between road trips project. That’s great. So thanks for the questions and for your insights.

Keep the Show on the Road!

The Olympic Hotel opened at 4th & University in December 1924, but I don't know if that would have anything to do with the western end of the route, since the Yellowstone Trail predates the hotel. The Pioneer Square location still seems most logical to me, as it's considered in the heart of old Seattle.

That is the answer! The Olympic Hotel. You must have a significant knowledge of Seattle history to know that. I certainly didn’t, and it explains the starting point Hobbs selected. It isn’t a coincidence that the Olympic is described as “new and magnificent.” Is the Washington Hotel anywhere nearby? It follows the Olympic in the description.

The Hobbs Guides are not widely recognized, but they are valuable for their descriptions of commercial sites along the old roads, whereas the Automobile Blue Books are better with directions.

Thanks!

That is the answer! The Olympic Hotel. You must have a significant knowledge of Seattle history to know that. I certainly didn’t, and it explains the starting point Hobbs selected. It isn’t a coincidence that the Olympic is described as “new and magnificent.” Is the Washington Hotel anywhere nearby? It follows the Olympic in the description.

The Hobbs Guides are not widely recognized, but they are valuable for their descriptions of commercial sites along the old roads, whereas the Automobile Blue Books are better with directions.

Thanks!

I think the Washington Hotel was an even earlier large, grand, hotel, somewhere near that same vicinity. It seems like I remember seeing photographs of the building in Seattle history books, and as I remember, I think it was about fifteen stories tall and had a prominent sign on top. Unfortunately, I don’t remember any of the history about the building. Also, thank you very much for the information about the technique that you used to enhance the digital images that you posted.

• 3 weeks later...
Dusty,

As a footnote to “Where did the Yellowstone Trail Start/ End in Seattle?” I checked the 1919 Yellowstone Trail Route Folder reproduction I have (available at the Hitching Post http://americanroadmagazine.com/catalog/) and did not find a specific starting point identified.

Then while I was looking for something else, I found a 1926 Hobbs Guide for the Yellowstone Trail. They started the trail at 4th and University. Go figure! What makes 4th and University important? Any idea?

The irony for me is that I had this very interesting guide in my collection and didn’t remember having it! We took a trip on the Yellowstone a few weeks ago and I would have enjoyed having this baby along!

I have never organized the thousands of things I have, so looking through them is like a treasure hunt. I never know what I’ll will discover!

You and a couple of others here, by asking questions, are getting me to the point where I have to add some bookshelves and get this stuff out of boxes. Maybe that is my between road trips project. That’s great. So thanks for the questions and for your insights.

Checking the 1916 Blue Book, it gives yet a different routing in the Seattle area, with the Trail starting/ending at 2nd Av and Pike St. It then went northeast/east on Pike to curve left onto Madison St "running up steep grade", then south on 17th Av, east on Cherry St, north on 34th Av and "down long winding grade" onto 'Hugo Place'. Then it continued south on Lakeside Av "running along shore of Lake Washington" to the ferry landing. It then crossed Lake Washington via the Issaquah Ferry and followed a more southerly routing towards Fall City, WA.

I agree, though, the routing that ends by Pioneer Square makes the most logical sense to me, too, and in addition it feeds into the ferry terminal.

Mike

[Mike,

Thanks for the much appreciated added info! And the astute observation about the ferry terminal.

You sound like you know your stuff. Not too many folks have a 1916 Automobile Blue Book, let along one that includes the Northwest.

Are you a Yellowstone Trail fan, old roads in general, collector, or all of the above?

[Mike,

Thanks for the much appreciated added info! And the astute observation about the ferry terminal.

You sound like you know your stuff. Not too many folks have a 1916 Automobile Blue Book, let along one that includes the Northwest.

Are you a Yellowstone Trail fan, old roads in general, collector, or all of the above?

I am actually using photocopies of 1916 Blue Books (plural) that were sent to me by John Ridge. They are MOST useful in tracing these old routes.

Yes, I am very much a road fan and knowledge of old-road history is very important to understanding the wheres and whys of modern-day roads. It is also very important for anyone interested in urban planning.

I also like just getting out and driving aimlessly and I love driving and checking out the newest interstates and compatible highways just as much as I love driving and exploring the older roads.

Mike

Edited by Wisguy

• 2 months later...

I recently noticed something else worth mentioning. There are modern highway signs for Yellowstone Trail Road along both the eastbound and westbound off ramps of Exit 53 on I-90 at Snoqualmie Pass, in Washington State. Yellowstone Trail Road in that vicinity is a remnant of the old highway along the north side of I-90, just east of the summit on Snoqualmie Pass.