American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Travels With Bo On The Yellowstone Trail

There is a magic about two lane travel, and it often starts before the trip. Sheila, Rose of the Road, Bo, the Malamute Wonder Dog, and I are planning to leave tomorrow for a little road tripping along the 1915 and 1925 Yellowstone Trail in Washington.

ARBo.jpg

Hey Pal, Let's Get This Show on the Road!

We have passed by the historic Waterville Hotel, in the lovely village of Waterville, Washington several times over the years but one thing or another prevented us from staying in this 1906 restored beauty. It served travelers along the Sunset Highway and the Yellowstone Trail for many years, and enjoyed a reputation for good food and nice rooms. It was the Waterville “control” for the 1915 and 1919 Automobile Blue Books and is pictured in both.

WatervilleHotel1915Ad.jpg

1915 Ad for the Waterville Hotel. Today a restored beauty.

Not wanting to miss the opportunity to at least tour the building we e-mailed the hotel this afternoon, and the owner, David called this evening. To our delight they had a room and even more to our delight, they are Yellowstone Trail aficionados. David and Amy both welcome two lane adventurers regularly and Amy is becoming the local expert on the old road.

The courtesy and enthusiasm that met our inquiry, and the shared interest in the old roads will no doubt make for a great visit, so I will pack old maps and guides to share.

Where but on the two lane roads of America do you find this kind of interest and hospitality? David closed by saying to my surprise that they have wi fi, so expect the first installment of travels with Bo as early as tomorrow.

For those who are not familiar with the Yellowstone, we will travel over Snoqualmie Pass, through Cle Elem, over Blewett Pass, through Cashmere, and meet the Columbia River at Wenatchee. Then we go north along the east bank of the mighty Columbia to Orondo, and up the famed Pine Canyon grade to Waterville for the night.

Tuesday we are likely to cross the scablands formed by the unbelievably huge Missoula floods (as deep as 600 Ft), stop at Dry Falls, a massive dry fall cut by the rushing water that dwarfs Niagara, and then drive eastward through former farm villages toward Spokane and the Inland Empire.

The next couple of days we will take the earlier 1915 loop through Walla Walla, Yakima, and then up to Ellensburg.

Advice on sights and stops are earnestly appreciated!

Follow travels with Bo on the Yellowstone Trail in the Yellowstone Trail section right here on the American Road Forum. We are trying to Keep the Show on the Road!

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

How far east are you going to go?

We don't live too far away from it here in northeast Illinois where it is the Sheridan Road.

Thanks for the reply! We are back at the ole home base again. The trip was limited to the 1915 and 1925 routes of the Yellowstone Trail in Washington.

One of these days we will do a cross country trip and swing through Illinois. My ancestors came from that area but I have only been in Chicago. We have lots more to see!

I have added a couple of fresh posts in the Yellowstone Trail section, with photos, et al of the 1925 route.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!