American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Cruisin' The "phantom Highway", Part 2

Susan and I timed this leg of our "Phantom Highway" cruise to mesh with the Cave City "Bourbon & Coke" cruise. We started on Friday and covered the stretch from Crossville, TN to Glasgow, KY. As usual, the photos are at http://community.webshots.com/user/babyboomerbob

Starting from Crossville, we headed north on US 127 until we got to Clarkrange. Here we made a side trip west on TN SR 62, then followed the signs to the Mennonite community of Muddy Pond. This is a place I'd heard about from coworkers as a really good place to get sorghum. We stopped at the Muddy Pond General Store and took a look around <Muddy Pond General Store 01-04>. I was a bit disappointed to find out not everything was locally made. The colorful cookware was made in China:( But the food items were all local, and we bought some peanut brittle and fudge for road snacks.

On to Jamestown. This town was bypassed a few years ago, and downtown is beginning to slide:( I kicked myself for never getting a picture of the grocery store sign advertising "big orange dope". It's gone now:( So it the Mark Twain restaurant where I used to eat after hiking in the Big South Fork area. But the Mark Twain Spring is still there. The Jamestown connection with Mark Twain is that his parents used to live there. <Mark Twain Spring 01, 02>

Like Crossville, Jamestown has a lot of buildings with Crab Orchard sandstone facing. <Old bank building>

Jamestown is also the home of the York Institute, an agricultural school founded by Sgt. York for the local youth. The original building has apparently been abandoned and looks like hell:( The present structure is right next door. <York Institute 01, 02>

A brief side trip east on TN SR 52 brought us to Allardt, a town known for its giant pumpkin festival. Their water tower makes a nice advertisement:) <Giant pumpkin water tower>

North of Jamestown US 127 descents the Cumberland Plateau and leads to the community of Pall Mall, most famous as the hometown of Sgt. Alvin York, WWI hero. A good summary of Sgt. York's life can be found at http://www.worldwar1.com/heritage/sgtayork.htm

First we made a visit to his grave site. <Grave of Sgt York, Sgt. York gravesite> The weather was cloudy and glowering, giving a special sadness to the cemetery. Then on to his home site and grist mill. The site featured his home, a tank obviously *not* of WWI vintage, and a 1940 tractor. Sgt York Homesite, 01, 02>

Across the highway is the York family grist mill. Quite frankly, there's not much special about this mill, except it's bucolic setting:) <York's Mill> From the mill I was able to get a good picture of the highway bridge across the Wolf River <Wolf River Bridge>

Just as we reached the Kentucky line, we made one more side trip south on TN SR 111 to the birthplace of Cordell Hull, FDR's Secretary of State, and a major player in the foundation of the United Nations. ( http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/l...5/hull-bio.html ). <Cordell Hull Birthplace>.

At Albany, KY, we headed west on KY SR 90. We stopped briefly at Burkesville to get photos of an interesting wall mural and some window art. It looks for all the world like the window pictures were painted on the screens:) <Wall Mural, Window Art, Burkesville> Leaving Burkesville we found a nice piece of old road leading west from the town square and climbing a hill to rejoin KY 90 after a couple of miles.

Between Burkesville and Glasgow we played one of my favorite games, find the piece of old road:) Most were loops that were cut off when the road was straightened. This ares has some interestingly named towns and we stopped for sign pictures. <Sign 01-03>

Glasgow was our last stop for the day. There are a number of interesting buildings, historic markers, ghost signs and a movie theater sign within walking distance of the town square. The monument to "Our Confederate Dead" indicated we were in the section of Kentucky that had the strongest Southern sympathy during the Civil War. (More on this in an upcoming writeup.) <Our Confederate Dead"----Ghost sign 02>

We left the "Phantom Highway at Glasgow and continues on KY 90 to Cave City and the get together at the Wigwam Village. More on that later!

To be continued.

Great description!

I went to your webshots site and enjoyed the photos. What is the story on the Rockhouse Cafe?

BTY, are there supposed to be photos in the body of your post? If so, I'm not seeing them, although I'm signed in.

Anyway, I look forward to the next chapter!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Great description!

I went to your webshots site and enjoyed the photos. What is the story on the Rockhouse Cafe?

BTY, are there supposed to be photos in the body of your post? If so, I'm not seeing them, although I'm signed in.

Anyway, I look forward to the next chapter!

Keep the Show on the Road!

There are no photos in the body of my post. All my photos are at my webshots site. The photo names in the post are cued to the pictures on webshots.

Somehow, when I posted the first part of the Phantom Highway trip, I accidentally posted before I was finished. The complete writeup has been posted and gives a little info on the Rockhouse Cafe. Sorry for the confusion.

Seeing the places you told us about in Cave City helps to fill things out. Good stuff. My big surprise was the Mark Twain Tennessee connection. Looking forward to learning of your discoveries after leaving Cave City.