American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

U.S. 6 Welcomes You!

Russ L.

Hello from the U.S. Route 6 Tourist Association. The Association is a

Not-for-profit IRS 501 © (3) dedicated to the economic development and cultural

preservation of the inner-cities, small towns and rural communities located

along all 3,652 miles of the Grand Old Highway.

I look forward to exchanging information and ideas using this format

provided by American Road. This will be a first for me, another "fun" learning

experience.

Feel free to ask questions.

Russ Lombard, President

U.S. Route 6 Tourist Assn.

Denny,

I didn't even know there were other states, just Ohio and Pennsylvania. Thanks for the web site update which is now on my travel favorites list...

http://www.route6tour.com/ is the Route 6 Tourist Association site.

I've personally only been on US-6 between Mansfield & Warren, PA. That is a very nice drive and, judging from the squiggly path east of Mansfield, that should be pretty nice, too. And then there's all those other states it goes through.

We took 6 across a good portion of PA last weekend on our way home from Connecticut. We picked it up in Scranton and followed it also to Warren, before heading south on US 62 along the river. I told Jennifer 6 in PA is now my favorite US highway. There are a slew of clean mom & pop motels along that entire section, many with cafes in front, great little towns, and fantastic scenery. We're really looking forward to exploring it at a more leisurely pace.

Pat B.

Russ,

Does your group have a web site? This is one of many routes on our projected vacation schedule. Thanks.

US 6 actually intersects an old named auto trail called the Blue Valley Drive in Iowa (a feature article is coming out in our Autumn issue about it). There is a new transportation museum on Iowa US 6 in Grinnell. Also, US 6 through the mountains on the eastern side of Utah is a great drive with some fun stops. And, of course US 6 shares some of Nevada US 50 before it gets to Ely. You might want to check out the Feature article about US 6 in the Summer 05 issue of AMERICAN ROAD. Joe Hurley - who walked the entire length of US 6 - wrote the piece and lists a number of great places to visit.

Happy travels!

Becky Repp

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

Denny,

I didn't even know there were other states, just Ohio and Pennsylvania. Thanks for the web site update which is now on my travel favorites list...

Thank you for your interest in the Grand Old Highway.

Most roads have their view points so you can stop and look out over the country. Old U.S. 6 has that special view point as it crosses over the Colorado Rockies. Stop and take a look from Route 6 at 11,992 feet above sea level. This is located at the top of Loveland Pass. A beautiful drive above tree level. This is the highest point of any U.S. Route.

Russ L.

One of those great roads, that US-6. We've got a nice stretch here in Illinois, but I haven't driven a lot of it yet. We have driven parts of it in Iowa.

Hello "RoadDog" and all members of this FORUM:

We have a large Route 6 wall map here in the office and it would be great if each person would provide the name of the state and town that they live in. We would stick a pin in the map, this would give us an idea of the coverage we are receiving on the FORUM. This would also give me a better idea of how to respond to questions, i.e. :-)

Russ L.

One of those great roads, that US-6. We've got a nice stretch here in Illinois, but I haven't driven a lot of it yet. We have driven parts of it in Iowa.

We have a large Route 6 wall map here in the office and it would be great if each person would provide the name of the state and town that they live in. We would stick a pin in the map, this would give us an idea of the coverage we are receiving on the FORUM. This would also give me a better idea of how to respond to questions, i.e. :-)

Russ L.

Russ L.

Russ L.

I live in Spring Grove, Illinois, about 35 miles north of US-6. Put me ON the map.

Even though I'm a member of the SCV, I can respect the GAR name.

• 1 year later...

Russ L.

Russ L.

Love this! My wife & I were on the I5 south in Santa Clarita to get to the 14 fwy here in SoCal. Traffic was backed up. We took the the Old Rd (Hwy 99) to Sierra Hwy & this is the first time to see a Route 6 sign.

This road goes From Long Beach to Bishop & heads west? Cool! More stuff to look up & consider for future travels.

I do love the fact that these is stuff I didn't know & that I can learn about.

We're in the Santa Clarita/Castaic, Ca area. Hope it's ok to add to these quiet threads.

Kevin

Love this! My wife & I were on the I5 south in Santa Clarita to get to the 14 fwy here in SoCal. Traffic was backed up. We took the the Old Rd (Hwy 99) to Sierra Hwy & this is the first time to see a Route 6 sign.

This road goes From Long Beach to Bishop & heads west? Cool! More stuff to look up & consider for future travels.

I do love the fact that these is stuff I didn't know & that I can learn about.

We're in the Santa Clarita/Castaic, Ca area. Hope it's ok to add to these quiet threads.

Kevin

I think its great to breathe live into one of these dormant posts. I figured you were out that way. The old Sierra Highway was often featured in Touring Topics, the magazine of the Automobile Club of Southern California in the 1920’s and 30’s. Some great stories.

You have a wealth of fine old roads in your “back yard!” Of course the Ridge Route and all the routes over to Palmdale, Lancaster, and the Elizabeth lake area are vintage. I have the old road maps, some back to 1906 for the area, but most in the teens and early 20’s, before the US routes (like US6) were designated.

It probably has been ten years since I was over those canyon routes. I imagine they are being filled with houses.

I mentioned the Newhall cut (Beale’s Cut) a post or so back. Does it still exist or was it destroyed by freeways? Great grandfather and grandfather pulled a wagon over it in the late 1800’s It was the only time my grandfather heard his father cuss!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Hello Kevin:

Thanks for your interest in traveling the Grand Old Highway, US 6.

From Bishop, CA, U.S. 6 goes East 3,205 miles through 14 states to Provincetown, MA located at the end of Cape Cod.

Feel free to contact me for California maps showing the old pre 1956 alignments between Bishop and Long Beach, CA.

Russ Lombard

"Keep the Show on the Road"

The U.S. Route 6 Tourist Assn. has some great pictures of Beale's Cut in our Archives. The "Cut" still exists and we have some air photos with overlays showing the current location.

I sure would like to learn more about the old maps that you have. Maybe you could have copies made for our archives. We would cover the expense of printing and mailing. You can contact me directly at RussUSRoute6@aol.com.

Russ Lombard, President

U.S. Route 6 Tourist Assn.

A Not-for-profit IRS 501 © (3)

• 1 year later...

Hello All

I am new here and just wanted to say hello. I have a dream, to ride US 6 from Provincetown, Ma to Bishop, Ca and ultimately to Long Beach on my motorcycle in a single trip.

Have ridden pieces of it particularly in the east where I am from and have completed it from Provincetown to just over the Pa/Oh line and about another 180 miles in western Ohio and eastern Indiana. This with some short stretches in Ill and Co, Utah bring me up to just under 1000 miles on several trips. My hope is yet this year to in a separate trip finish the piece from the PA line through Cleveland and Sandusky to finish all of Ohio.

Have done a lot of research for old maps of Ca. to determine where the route went from Bishop to Long Beach and think I have it figured out, at least the routing as it existed prior to the de-commissioning.

Hope to participate in this forum

Doug M.

Hello All

I am new here and just wanted to say hello. I have a dream, to ride US 6 from Provincetown, Ma to Bishop, Ca and ultimately to Long Beach on my motorcycle in a single trip.

Have ridden pieces of it particularly in the east where I am from and have completed it from Provincetown to just over the Pa/Oh line and about another 180 miles in western Ohio and eastern Indiana. This with some short stretches in Ill and Co, Utah bring me up to just under 1000 miles on several trips. My hope is yet this year to in a separate trip finish the piece from the PA line through Cleveland and Sandusky to finish all of Ohio.

Have done a lot of research for old maps of Ca. to determine where the route went from Bishop to Long Beach and think I have it figured out, at least the routing as it existed prior to the de-commissioning.

Doug M.

Doug,

WELCOME!

I can help with the map thing, and I know American Road Magazine has many Route 6 goodies in past issues. I suggest you post a question for Becky Repp as to which back issues are the best resource.

Dave

Hello All

Doug M.

Welcome to the forum. My only experience with US-6 is that western PA bit you've done. With 1000 miles in the books, you only have about 2200 more to go assuming you want to cover its furthest reaches :) Good luck on cruising the Ohio section this year.

Doug,

WELCOME!

I can help with the map thing, and I know American Road Magazine has many Route 6 goodies in past issues. I suggest you post a question for Becky Repp as to which back issues are the best resource.

Dave

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the Forum! We have a few Route 6 experts around. Russ, of the US Route 6 Tourist Association and Joe Hurley - who walked US Route 6 a few years ago. Joe wrote a feature article that ran in American Road's Summer 2005 issue about his journey. Joe also writes for our now regularly recurring department about US Route 6. Rick Etchells, one of our dedicated readers, has created a very useful index of back issues. He has cataloged all the articles appearing in American Road sorted by issue, by department, by route, and by author. If you look at the index you can do a 'find' for US 6 and you'll find a number of articles--of course articles about US 66 and US 60, and probably some other roads, will pop up in that search as well, but, I believe you will find it a very useful tool. I'll take the opportunity to once again thank Rick for his hard work putting this index together. Thanks Rick!

The link for the index is: http://www.americanroadmagazine.com/sample...ndex_Binder.pdf

Best,

Becky

Russ L.

Hey Russ, I've become interested in Route 6 since becoming aware of it's 2-laneness via American Road Mag. We live in Manchester, MO (West St. Louis County) and we crossed 6 last week while on U.S. 421 out of Michigan City, IN. Looks interesting - I'll check out your site....Bliss

• 2 weeks later...

Thaky you all for your responses. Unfortunately I went on vacation just after my first post and then life has just not had enough time to spend on "the net". Finally a break to spend some research time.

I plan tonight to begin the search of the American Map archives? for the data. I will be interested to see how well I was able to figure out what the route was from Bishop west. I did find, interestingly, some copies of early road maps on some sites on the net which gave me some clues.

For the member plotting where we all live, I am in Phillipsburg, N.J. (just where I-78 crosses the Delaware River and about 60 miles south of the closest section of 6 in Milford Pa. We do get to ride (motorcycle) the portion of 6 from Scanton east several times a year, usually when going from one place to another, but for the most part this is a picturesque part of the road and a fun easy ride.

Unfortunately although a lot of the Pa portion is a striking road there is also a fair of smaller (by eastern standards) old towns that are rather pesky to get through.

Hope to participate with this group.

Doug M.

Thaky you all for your responses. Unfortunately I went on vacation just after my first post and then life has just not had enough time to spend on "the net". Finally a break to spend some research time.

I plan tonight to begin the search of the American Map archives? for the data. I will be interested to see how well I was able to figure out what the route was from Bishop west. I did find, interestingly, some copies of early road maps on some sites on the net which gave me some clues.

For the member plotting where we all live, I am in Phillipsburg, N.J. (just where I-78 crosses the Delaware River and about 60 miles south of the closest section of 6 in Milford Pa. We do get to ride (motorcycle) the portion of 6 from Scanton east several times a year, usually when going from one place to another, but for the most part this is a picturesque part of the road and a fun easy ride.

Unfortunately although a lot of the Pa portion is a striking road there is also a fair of smaller (by eastern standards) old towns that are rather pesky to get through.

Hope to participate with this group.

Doug M.

Doug,

As you know US 6 wasn’t extended into California until 1937, and most of my maps are from before 1930. However, I certainly have a few state atlases, California service station maps, AAA maps, and probably a Los Angeles atlas or two from the late 30’s through the mid 1950’s. If your web explorations don’t produce what you need, let me know.

And good to see you back on the forum!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road