American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Victory For Preservationists And Roadies

RoadDog

The Gilroy, Ca., Dispatch reports that a stretch of 115 Deodar cedar trees and 20 oaks along a 1.39 mile stretch of the Hecker Pass Highway has been ok'd by the California State Historical Resources Commission to be added to the National Register of Historic Places. Of course, listing won't prevent demolition, but it will make it more difficult.

These trees were planted on National Arbor Days in 1930 and 1931. Twenty-four were saved last year when a debate was held about the widening of the road to accomodate hundreds of new homes being built in the area. Four are still in danger.

I'm not sure where Gilroy is, but I always really enjoy driving along a stretch of road with trees on either side and especially when they form a natural canopy.

Article title (also a photo from the air) "Heckler Trees Deserve Historical Designation, Commission" by Serdar Tumgoren

Keep up the Good Work, Gilroy!!! --RoadDog

The Gilroy, Ca., Dispatch reports that a stretch of 115 Deodar cedar trees and 20 oaks along a 1.39 mile stretch of the Hecker Pass Highway has been ok'd by the California State Historical Resources Commission to be added to the National Register of Historic Places. Of course, listing won't prevent demolition, but it will make it more difficult.

These trees were planted on National Arbor Days in 1930 and 1931. Twenty-four were saved last year when a debate was held about the widening of the road to accomodate hundreds of new homes being built in the area. Four are still in danger.

I'm not sure where Gilroy is, but I always really enjoy driving along a stretch of road with trees on either side and especially when they form a natural canopy.

Article title (also a photo from the air) "Heckler Trees Deserve Historical Designation, Commission" by Serdar Tumgoren

Keep up the Good Work, Gilroy!!! --RoadDog

RoadDog, thanks for the report!

Gilroy is an old community on the old El Camino Real (US101) with much history in the far south of Santa Clara County, about 30 miles south of San Jose, California. I knew it fairly well in the mid 50’s. Hecker Pass was once in a rural location, but like most of the area, is now engulfed by development.

Apparently the fight over saving the trees took the standard route (I read some comments on the web). We have enough trees in the world, the branches will fall on our heads, we will run into them, they are in the way, they will all die anyway, etc. I’m glad some people who respect their heritage were also heard. And kudo’s to those who made the right decision and those who did the work to make it happen!

Keep the Show on the Road