American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Planning A Cruise

DennyG

Last weekend a small group of forum members had a pleasant time cruising some Kentucky two-lanes and swapping stories (some even true). A couple of months back, a similar outing took place in Missouri along the path of the Boonslick Road. Forum member Keep The Show On The Road is now considering some kind of outing in eastern Washington and asked for advice. I'm not sure what I've got qualifies as advice but I can comment on the run-up to the Kentucky cruise from my viewpoint and maybe Pat can do the same. Kip and Kent can probably share some thoughts from Sweetheart Cruise planning and I'm sure there are others with useful info, too.

My first thoughts along the lines of advice are "don't". Don't try to accommodate everyone who shows an interest and don't schedule too much or too tight.

The most basic questions of a cruise are where and when and KtSOtR has that where question already answered. When someone decides to plan a cruise, the area of potential routes is pretty much centered on their own driveway. There are probably some dates that are better than others for going where ever it is you want to go and you, the planner, probably already have other commitments for some of those. Of those that are left, I can just about guarantee that some interested person will have a conflict with each and every one. Pick the best date you can and get on with the planning. Once you've got a location and date people can start (or stop) making plans and some of those conflicts might even get resolved.

When we first started thinking about the Cave City outing, I thought of all the stuff in the area and had visions of a cruise over a few hundred miles of Dixie & Jackson Highways with visits to a couple of distilleries and some number of museums. If we had included everything I originally considered, we'd probably still be in Kentucky. We settled on one distillery, one museum, and a lunch stop on a 150 mile route and no one felt short changed. Roadies do not hurry between points A and B and there's a pretty good chance that someone will be fascinated with points A1 and A2 that you hadn't even considered stopping at. I had suggested that we might not stop in Elizabethtown square and just point out its main attraction (the cannonball in the wall) as we drove through. Fortunately, Pat suggested otherwise and it turned out to be a rather popular stop.

KtSOtR, I'd suggest posting a "invitation" in the Yellowstone Trail forum with a few potential dates. Along with a general idea of the possible route and attractions, I think you should have an lodging candidate or two in mind if possible. In the case of the Kentucky cruise, the 70 year old Wigwam Village #2 was central to the whole weekend. Even if an overnight isn't part of the cruise or necessary for all participants, you should have a location in mind. Make it as convenient as possible for folks to come from farther away. Actually, I think an overnight is a rather important part of a cruise. Even though the drive is the main attraction, it's at the roadside stops and the motel where conversations occur and friendships develop.

Denny,

Thanks for the great advice. I think this can even be good for a personal cruise, vacation, road trip plan. I like to feel that I have seen a lot, but hate the feeling that I have done everything I would have wanted and have no reason to return in the future.

Has anyone posted pictures from the cruise?

Last weekend a small group of forum members had a pleasant time cruising some Kentucky two-lanes and swapping stories (some even true). A couple of months back, a similar outing took place in Missouri along the path of the Boonslick Road. Forum member Keep The Show On The Road is now considering some kind of outing in eastern Washington and asked for advice. I'm not sure what I've got qualifies as advice but I can comment on the run-up to the Kentucky cruise from my viewpoint and maybe Pat can do the same. Kip and Kent can probably share some thoughts from Sweetheart Cruise planning and I'm sure there are others with useful info, too.

My first thoughts along the lines of advice are "don't". Don't try to accommodate everyone who shows an interest and don't schedule too much or too tight.

The most basic questions of a cruise are where and when and KtSOtR has that where question already answered. When someone decides to plan a cruise, the area of potential routes is pretty much centered on their own driveway. There are probably some dates that are better than others for going where ever it is you want to go and you, the planner, probably already have other commitments for some of those. Of those that are left, I can just about guarantee that some interested person will have a conflict with each and every one. Pick the best date you can and get on with the planning. Once you've got a location and date people can start (or stop) making plans and some of those conflicts might even get resolved.

When we first started thinking about the Cave City outing, I thought of all the stuff in the area and had visions of a cruise over a few hundred miles of Dixie & Jackson Highways with visits to a couple of distilleries and some number of museums. If we had included everything I originally considered, we'd probably still be in Kentucky. We settled on one distillery, one museum, and a lunch stop on a 150 mile route and no one felt short changed. Roadies do not hurry between points A and B and there's a pretty good chance that someone will be fascinated with points A1 and A2 that you hadn't even considered stopping at. I had suggested that we might not stop in Elizabethtown square and just point out its main attraction (the cannonball in the wall) as we drove through. Fortunately, Pat suggested otherwise and it turned out to be a rather popular stop.

KtSOtR, I'd suggest posting a "invitation" in the Yellowstone Trail forum with a few potential dates. Along with a general idea of the possible route and attractions, I think you should have an lodging candidate or two in mind if possible. In the case of the Kentucky cruise, the 70 year old Wigwam Village #2 was central to the whole weekend. Even if an overnight isn't part of the cruise or necessary for all participants, you should have a location in mind. Make it as convenient as possible for folks to come from farther away. Actually, I think an overnight is a rather important part of a cruise. Even though the drive is the main attraction, it's at the roadside stops and the motel where conversations occur and friendships develop.

Great advice!! I'll take all of it, and I hope it helps others as well.

Thanks for the help.

Keep the Show on the Road.

Great advice!! I'll take all of it, and I hope it helps others as well.

Thanks for the help.

Keep the Show on the Road.

I'll throw in a few random thoughts for this thread:

(a) K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) Even then, planning and the actual cruise will be difficult enough from the planner's standpoint without purposely shooting yourself in the foot.

(B) Select a date that you think works best for the event and then just go for it. Don't waste time inquiring about whether or not the date works for everyone; it won't.

© Drive the actual cruise route and stay in the motel(s) before the event. You may encounter a problem you didn't anticipate. You may also find better alternatives.

(d) Create time and mileage charts to issue to attendees. Route driving directions and/or a map are essential.

(e) Meal planning is difficult at best. Refer to item (a).

(f) Cruisers by and large like to spend as much time outdoors as possible. Cookouts/picnics and campfires are always a huge success.

(g) Put your plan together A.S.A.P. and communicate it to everyone who can read and write. Don't try to anticipate who might or who might not attend; just throw it out there for even the most unlikely. You'll often be surprised at the results.

(h) Have fun. That's the real deal with cruisin'.....Bliss

I'll throw in a few random thoughts for this thread:

(a) K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) Even then, planning and the actual cruise will be difficult enough from the planner's standpoint without purposely shooting yourself in the foot.

(B) Select a date that you think works best for the event and then just go for it. Don't waste time inquiring about whether or not the date works for everyone; it won't.

© Drive the actual cruise route and stay in the motel(s) before the event. You may encounter a problem you didn't anticipate. You may also find better alternatives.

(d) Create time and mileage charts to issue to attendees. Route driving directions and/or a map are essential.

(e) Meal planning is difficult at best. Refer to item (a).

(f) Cruisers by and large like to spend as much time outdoors as possible. Cookouts/picnics and campfires are always a huge success.

(g) Put your plan together A.S.A.P. and communicate it to everyone who can read and write. Don't try to anticipate who might or who might not attend; just throw it out there for even the most unlikely. You'll often be surprised at the results.

(h) Have fun. That's the real deal with cruisin'.....Bliss

More really good advice! I'm glad I asked.

It is easy to forget the KISS principle.

I like the idea of a road guide, and I plan to scout out prospective routes and places to stay in the next week, or as soon as we get some sunny days here in the Northwest.

Should I be aware of any considerations for folks who may want to drive a vintage vehicle? The last vintage vehicle I owned wasn't vintage when I owned it! In fact, is it likly that most will show up in a vintage machine?

Thanks!

Let's Keep the Show on the Road!

More really good advice! I'm glad I asked.

It is easy to forget the KISS principle.

I like the idea of a road guide, and I plan to scout out prospective routes and places to stay in the next week, or as soon as we get some sunny days here in the Northwest.

Should I be aware of any considerations for folks who may want to drive a vintage vehicle? The last vintage vehicle I owned wasn't vintage when I owned it! In fact, is it likly that most will show up in a vintage machine?

Thanks!

Let's Keep the Show on the Road!

You should always anticipate having vintage autos on the cruise. Their owners are very protective of them and won't drive them on gravel or dirt roads, rough terrain, or through excessive water over the roadway. They will drive them on the ugly road (interstate) for short distances but don't like the rpm's that higher speed produces and are, basically, only content to drive them on paved two laners at 45 to 50 mph. In fact, consider 45 to be about the average cruisin' speed when planning your cruise. They also want to feel secure about overnight parking. Knowledge or repair shops and parts stores along the cruise route is valuable.

Our Missouri "cruise group" uses CB radios to communicate while cruisin' and that sure makes the cruise more enjoyable. I don't see the use of these radios anywhere else outside of our group and really feel that nonusers are missing the boat. You can buy a good hand-held radio and magnetic (Vette owners need the stick-on-the-window type) antenna for somewhere around $100 and they're well worth the money. Sure, you can communicate via cell phone or hand signals but the CB radio is always active. ("I need to stop for gas. Do you want to take the older or newer alignment? Drive through the city or around it? She needs a restroom stop, etc.")

Bliss

You should always anticipate having vintage autos on the cruise. Their owners are very protective of them and won't drive them on gravel or dirt roads, rough terrain, or through excessive water over the roadway. They will drive them on the ugly road (interstate) for short distances but don't like the rpm's that higher speed produces and are, basically, only content to drive them on paved two laners at 45 to 50 mph. In fact, consider 45 to be about the average cruisin' speed when planning your cruise. They also want to feel secure about overnight parking. Knowledge or repair shops and parts stores along the cruise route is valuable.

Our Missouri "cruise group" uses CB radios to communicate while cruisin' and that sure makes the cruise more enjoyable. I don't see the use of these radios anywhere else outside of our group and really feel that nonusers are missing the boat. You can buy a good hand-held radio and magnetic (Vette owners need the stick-on-the-window type) antenna for somewhere around $100 and they're well worth the money. Sure, you can communicate via cell phone or hand signals but the CB radio is always active. ("I need to stop for gas. Do you want to take the older or newer alignment? Drive through the city or around it? She needs a restroom stop, etc.")

Bliss

Bliss, that is gold! I had surmised some of it, but not most. If I do put the idea of a cruise out there, I will heed those words of wisdom.

I’ll have to rethink things a bit. The start point I had in mind is 90 miles by freeway from Seattle, and there is no two lane route over Snoqualmie Pass. If anyone drove at 55 they would be sitting ducks for every vehicle on the road. I thought we might also take the vintage Yellowstone Trail’s Blewett Pass (graded dirt) and stay at a renovated 1906 hotel with nothing like covered parking. If that is how it plays out, there will be no vintage rigs. Again, your thoughts are gold.

I too am surprised that more people don’t use the great little FRS walkie talkies. I carry 4 little cheapies in the car all the time. When we team up on the road with anyone, I pass them around. Years ago I got disconnected from a group going down US 395 and through Death Valley. We had to communicate through the CHP to reconnect! No more!

And as an aside, they are marital aids as well. When my wife and I go to the mall or super stores, we can go our separate ways, and not spend half the time trying to re-locate one another. Also, she likes to shop a lot more than I do, so I can go back to the car and read or take a nap, and at any time inquire as to our projected departure time or if she needs my manly presence. It has all but cured my Male Impatience Syndrome. We both love them.

Thanks to you and DennyG again!

It sure helps Keep the Show on the Road!

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!