American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Advice On Yellowstone Trail Trip

I think I may take a few days next week and savor a bit of the Yellowstone Trail in eastern Washington. Sheila, Rose of the Road will be baby sitting at the grandkids, so it would just be me and Bo, the Malamute Wonder Dog.

If anyone has advice as to places to stay, eat, or visit, let me know. I’ll take the laptop and try to stay where I can get wifi so I can keep a running post of the trip in the Yellowstone Trail section of the Forum.

I think I will look first at the post 1925 route via Cle Elum, Blewett Pass, and Waterville. The Waterville Hotel, built in 1903, was host to many a YT traveler. It is nicely restored with original period furnishings.

I may also swing down from Spokane along the earlier southern loop of the Yellowstone and check out the wonderful small towns between Spokane and Walla Walla along the old road.

And I plan to take a look around Ellensburg. The original pre 1925 dirt road from Ellensburg toward Yakima is an interesting ride, and other than being better graded and maintained now, it is largely unchanged.

Let me know any ideas for eats, photos, lodging, etc.

Trying to Keep the Show on the Road!!

I think I may take a few days next week and savor a bit of the Yellowstone Trail in eastern Washington. Sheila, Rose of the Road will be baby sitting at the grandkids, so it would just be me and Bo, the Malamute Wonder Dog.

If anyone has advice as to places to stay, eat, or visit, let me know. I’ll take the laptop and try to stay where I can get wifi so I can keep a running post of the trip in the Yellowstone Trail section of the Forum.

I think I will look first at the post 1925 route via Cle Elum, Blewett Pass, and Waterville. The Waterville Hotel, built in 1903, was host to many a YT traveler. It is nicely restored with original period furnishings.

I may also swing down from Spokane along the earlier southern loop of the Yellowstone and check out the wonderful small towns between Spokane and Walla Walla along the old road.

And I plan to take a look around Ellensburg. The original pre 1925 dirt road from Ellensburg toward Yakima is an interesting ride, and other than being better graded and maintained now, it is largely unchanged.

Let me know any ideas for eats, photos, lodging, etc.

Trying to Keep the Show on the Road!!

The Waterville Hotel is beautiful. Never stayed there. But, the owner gave us a tour one day when we were stranded waiting for a lock smith to open up the car of the friends we were traveling with.

Wenatchee had a drive in movie theatre when we lived in Washington. Might want to see if it still does!

I've never been on the tour myself, but, the Applets and Cottlets factory (I believe it's in Cashmere) is supposed to be fun. The candy is good.

There are lots of roadside fruit stands in that area selling honey, fruit, etc. Don't know if they'll be in full swing this time of year. But, if they are they usually have some great goodies.

There is an old eatery, I think its on US 2 around the turnoff for SR 970. As I recall, they had good burgers. I apologize that I can't remember the name. They were usually VERY busy.

If you want to take any side trips - there are some fun places to stop.

Looking forward to reading your posts!

:D