American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Illinois Auto Stats

RoadDog

Experian Automotive has prepared a list of vehicle statistics for the state of Illinois. Some of their findings of vehicle registrations were quite interesting. Here are some:

There are 9.6 million vehicles registered in Illinois (240 million in the US). Of them, 56% are cars.

Weird Wheels:

53 Yugos- STILL??? I thought they'd all broken down

156 Volkswagen "The Thing"- whatever that is

3 Renault Fuegos- Again-- ????

36 AMC Pacers- these and the AMC Gremlin get my vote for UGLY

47 Chevy Corvairs -Unsafe at you know what

141 DeLoreans

74 Merkur Scorpios- ?????

191 Ford Pintos- my first-ever new car purchase, $2200 in 1973. Just don't get hit in the rear!!!

Fast Wheels:

35,404 Chevy Corvettes

14,032 Porsches

934 Dodge Vipers

479 Ferraris

81 Lamborghinis

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Experian Automotive has prepared a list of vehicle statistics for the state of Illinois. Some of their findings of vehicle registrations were quite interesting. Here are some:

There are 9.6 million vehicles registered in Illinois (240 million in the US). Of them, 56% are cars.

Weird Wheels:

53 Yugos- STILL??? I thought they'd all broken down

156 Volkswagen "The Thing"- whatever that is

3 Renault Fuegos- Again-- ????

36 AMC Pacers- these and the AMC Gremlin get my vote for UGLY

47 Chevy Corvairs -Unsafe at you know what

141 DeLoreans

74 Merkur Scorpios- ?????

191 Ford Pintos- my first-ever new car purchase, $2200 in 1973. Just don't get hit in the rear!!!

Fast Wheels:

35,404 Chevy Corvettes

14,032 Porsches

934 Dodge Vipers

479 Ferraris

81 Lamborghinis

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Ah, come on…You know…THE THING …rectangular, Jeepish, often orange, convertible metal box with what looked like corrugated steel sides. They were selling in the US (1973-74) when you bought your new PINTO in 1973. Remember now? Bet you wish now you bought it rather than that Pinto. Right?

Thanks for the list!!

Keep the Show on the Road!

C'mon 'Dog, be nice to the Corvair! :lol: I would say there's an 80% chance you're going to be traveling with one in Kentucky next week. I truly question those stats about the Corvair's numbers in Illinois. There are two Corvair clubs in Illinois, one in Springfield and one in Chicago. I know for a fact the Chicago club has some 300 members and the Springfield club draws a lot from central Illinois. Heck, the St. Louis club also has some that live on the Illinois side of the river. I just wouldn't think that many would be driving around without current plates. Then again, we Corvair owners are notoriously cheap sunny beaches. :rolleyes:

Two Classics

P.S....You might like the t-shirt I just picked up on ebay last night: Unsafe, you say?

Keep the Show- Now I remember the Thing. Not too easy on the eyes.

Roadmaven- Look forward to seeing that Corvair of yours on the 28th. Personally, I have nothing against them and wouldn't mind having one myself. I like their looks.

You're right about the numbers. I imagine they don't include antique cars in the statistics. It would be very interesting to see those numbers.

Keep on Down that Dixie Highway in the Great State of Kentucky. --RoadDog